DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sweet smell in downstairs bathroom? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/194477-sweet-smell-downstairs-bathroom.html)

HomeDecoy March 8th 07 05:51 PM

Sweet smell in downstairs bathroom?

In my house, the downstairs bathroom has recently been repainted and
now that it's being used, we've noticed that is has a sweet smell in
there, almost like cataloupes. There is no window in the bathroom,
it's got a sink and a toilet and I can not see any mold or water
damage that would indicate it was a water caused smell. I did notice
the smell while painting but thought it was due to the old nasty
wallpaper. (I peeled it off, put textured drywall compound up and
painted with bathroom paint) This bathroom is right beside the laundry
room but the laundry room doesn't smell at all.

Does anyone know what would cause this, if it's something I should
worry about and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Speedy Jim March 8th 07 05:56 PM

HomeDecoy wrote:
In my house, the downstairs bathroom has recently been repainted and
now that it's being used, we've noticed that is has a sweet smell in
there, almost like cataloupes. There is no window in the bathroom,
it's got a sink and a toilet and I can not see any mold or water
damage that would indicate it was a water caused smell. I did notice
the smell while painting but thought it was due to the old nasty
wallpaper. (I peeled it off, put textured drywall compound up and
painted with bathroom paint) This bathroom is right beside the laundry
room but the laundry room doesn't smell at all.

Does anyone know what would cause this, if it's something I should
worry about and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help

My experience: That "sweet" odor is sewer gas.
The toilet seal (aka "wax ring") can leak gases
even though there is no evidence of water leakage.

The odor may come and go with use and may even
depend upon prevailing wind conditions.

Jim

HomeDecoy March 8th 07 06:11 PM

On Mar 8, 11:56 am, Speedy Jim wrote:
My experience: That "sweet" odor is sewer gas.
The toilet seal (aka "wax ring") can leak gases
even though there is no evidence of water leakage.

The odor may come and go with use and may even
depend upon prevailing wind conditions.

Ahh so all we need to do is reseal it, which we were going to be doing
due to installing new flooring.
If we don't do fix it within the next week, are there any ill-effects
we should be aware of or cause us to move the plans forward quicker?
Usually I close the door and leave it alone, though it does get used
maybe once a week or so. (I'm one of those people that worry things
will explode for no reason so I thought I'd make sure!)

Speedy Jim March 8th 07 06:49 PM

HomeDecoy wrote:

On Mar 8, 11:56 am, Speedy Jim wrote:

My experience: That "sweet" odor is sewer gas.
The toilet seal (aka "wax ring") can leak gases
even though there is no evidence of water leakage.

The odor may come and go with use and may even
depend upon prevailing wind conditions.

Ahh so all we need to do is reseal it, which we were going to be doing
due to installing new flooring.
If we don't do fix it within the next week, are there any ill-effects
we should be aware of or cause us to move the plans forward quicker?
Usually I close the door and leave it alone, though it does get used
maybe once a week or so. (I'm one of those people that worry things
will explode for no reason so I thought I'd make sure!)

I don't see any ill-effects. Crack a window open if
you'll feel better.

EXT March 8th 07 07:03 PM

Sweet smell in downstairs bathroom?

Who uses the bathroom. A sweet smell can be ketones (sp?) in urine of
someone who is loosing protein such as with diabetes or weight loss.

ups.com...

Norminn March 8th 07 07:30 PM

HomeDecoy wrote:

In my house, the downstairs bathroom has recently been repainted and
now that it's being used, we've noticed that is has a sweet smell in
there, almost like cataloupes. There is no window in the bathroom,
it's got a sink and a toilet and I can not see any mold or water
damage that would indicate it was a water caused smell. I did notice
the smell while painting but thought it was due to the old nasty
wallpaper. (I peeled it off, put textured drywall compound up and
painted with bathroom paint) This bathroom is right beside the laundry
room but the laundry room doesn't smell at all.

Does anyone know what would cause this, if it's something I should
worry about and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Latex or oil? If it is the paint, it could take a couple of weeks for
the paint to completely cure. Odor from paint might linger longer if
the room is kept closed or not much air circ. Not sewer gas, right?
Didn't leave an air freshener in a drawer, right?

JoeSpareBedroom March 8th 07 08:21 PM

Sweet smell in downstairs bathroom?

"Norminn" wrote in message
link.net...
HomeDecoy wrote:

[...]

Or...
- Leaking bottle of cough syrup or bubble bath hidden in the back of a
cabinet since 1979
- Package of those dumb little scented soaps that people give as gifts when
they really didn't want to give a gift

Goedjn March 8th 07 08:47 PM

Sweet smell in downstairs bathroom?

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:21:04 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
hlink.net...
HomeDecoy wrote:

[...]

I'd bet on the paint, though. Modern paints have some really
unexpected smells, and the sherman-williams stuff that I've been
using on furniture recently does smell kind of fruity.

HomeDecoy March 8th 07 09:58 PM

On Mar 8, 2:47 pm, Goedjn wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:21:04 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
Latex or oil? If it is the paint, it could take a couple of weeks for the
paint to completely cure. Odor from paint might linger longer if the room
is kept closed or not much air circ. Not sewer gas, right? Didn't leave
an air freshener in a drawer, right?

Or...
- Leaking bottle of cough syrup or bubble bath hidden in the back of a
cabinet since 1979
- Package of those dumb little scented soaps that people give as gifts when
they really didn't want to give a gift

I'd bet on the paint, though. Modern paints have some really
unexpected smells, and the sherman-williams stuff that I've been
using on furniture recently does smell kind of fruity.- Hide quoted text -

There are no scented items because I think those things stink (even
the candle is unscented) in the bathroom, other than the (barely
scented) liquid hand soap that was recently put in there. There is no
window to crack open sadly.

The painting was done over 3 months ago and is done in half the Smart3
Home Depot latex paint, the other being some sort of Natural
Whites(something like that) white latex paint. I've used those paints
elsewhere in the house and haven't had that smell surface anywhere
else, so didn't think that would be it. I might just give the walls a
sniff to make sure it's not the paint though.

I'm thinking It is likely it is the toilet seal as suggested, as the
toilet is older and the previous owner had been instructed to reseal
all the toilets in the house before we moved in and likely didn't do
that one. We planned to be redoing the floor and having to reseal the
toilet again shortly anyway and it doesn't appear that the house will
blow up in the meantime (haha)

Thanks to all who replied