Heath zenith motion lights won't work at night..help

Old March 5th 07, 12:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heath zenith motion lights won't work at night..help

i noticed last week that one set of motion lights on my house wasn't
working at night. The other set was working perfectly in the back
yard. the lights work in test mode but don't work when it gets dark.
i'm a little stumped..i have the settings properly set.. i think. I
read on the company's website something about "light interference" and
they recommended using black electrical tape over the the photocell to
see if helps the problem. What piece is the photocell? are the
sensor and the photocell the same thing? I wasn't sure if i was taping
over the photocell or the motion sensor or are they the same
thing...little help over here..thanks

Old March 5th 07, 12:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Old March 5th 07, 02:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 7:42 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The photocell is behind a small window on the bottom of the unit. If you
put tape over it, it would tend to come on during the day. It sounds like
the pcell has gone bad

wrote in message

oups.com...

i noticed last week that one set of motion lights on my house wasn't
working at night. The other set was working perfectly in the back
yard. the lights work in test mode but don't work when it gets dark.
i'm a little stumped..i have the settings properly set.. i think. I
read on the company's website something about "light interference" and
they recommended using black electrical tape over the the photocell to
see if helps the problem. What piece is the photocell? are the
sensor and the photocell the same thing? I wasn't sure if i was taping
over the photocell or the motion sensor or are they the same
thing...little help over here..thanks

i forgot to mention that the red light on the motion detector does
blink when someone walks past it...but somehow it's not making it go
off

Old March 5th 07, 03:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

The blinking LED means the detector sees you, and when in test mode, it
turns the lights on for a short time interval, but when the photo cell dies,
it doesn't complete the circuit to allow the lights to come on when dark.
Replace the unit

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 4, 7:42 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
The photocell is behind a small window on the bottom of the unit. If you
put tape over it, it would tend to come on during the day. It sounds like
the pcell has gone bad

oups.com...

Old March 5th 07, 11:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 11:39 pm, Gerry Atrick wrote:
This is just my opinion based on experience.
Anything made by Heath/Zenith is junk. Also they do not stand behind
their products. I have had several dissatisfactory products from
them, and they will not stand behind their junk. Avoid them !!!

On 4 Mar 2007 16:31:14 -0800, wrote:

i noticed last week that one set of motion lights on my house wasn't
working at night. The other set was working perfectly in the back
yard. the lights work in test mode but don't work when it gets dark.
i'm a little stumped..i have the settings properly set.. i think. I
read on the company's website something about "light interference" and
they recommended using black electrical tape over the the photocell to
see if helps the problem. What piece is the photocell? are the
sensor and the photocell the same thing? I wasn't sure if i was taping
over the photocell or the motion sensor or are they the same
thing...little help over here..thanks

so what are some good lights then?

Old March 5th 07, 12:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

I have been installing motion detectors since Colorado Electro Optics
invented the things, like thirty years ago ( the originals cost $400 and
what a piece of crap it was). I have had less problems with the H-Z models
than all others combined, except for the considerably lesser quality models
sold at big box stores. They apparently manufacture this really cheap model
specifically for these stores. www.graingers.com has the better models

Old March 6th 07, 05:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dooo42 wrote:

On Mar 4, 11:39 pm, Gerry Atrick wrote:

This is just my opinion based on experience.
Anything made by Heath/Zenith is junk. Also they do not stand behind
their products. I have had several dissatisfactory products from
them, and they will not stand behind their junk. Avoid them !!!

so what are some good lights then?

I've had varied results from the H-Z units. Oddly enough, it seems that
the less I pay for a motion detector, the better it performs. So,
anymore, I go for the dirt cheap ($10) units.