Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hairline crack in vessel sink?

My brother and his wife had their bathroom redone recently - more
recently a hairline crack had occurred in their sink, one of thse bowl-
shaped things sitting on a table base. He was wondering what he could
use to seal the crack, not necessarily to make it invisible, just
functional.
I haven't seen the place in ages and I'm not sure what the material is
- he said it's stone, but maybe it's some manmade composite, ceramic
or what...I imagine that would determine the fix.
He's still trying to figure out how the crack got there...doubts
something fell on it, wonders if a recent reroofing job might have
jarred some plumbing - a vent stack or something.

VMacek

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
My brother and his wife had their bathroom redone recently - more
recently a hairline crack had occurred in their sink, one of thse bowl-
shaped things sitting on a table base. He was wondering what he could
use to seal the crack, not necessarily to make it invisible, just
functional.
I haven't seen the place in ages and I'm not sure what the material is
- he said it's stone, but maybe it's some manmade composite, ceramic
or what...I imagine that would determine the fix.
He's still trying to figure out how the crack got there...doubts
something fell on it, wonders if a recent reroofing job might have
jarred some plumbing - a vent stack or something.

If it was recent, there might be a warranty.

The roof repair is likely unrelated.

Not knowing any more, it would be impossible to recommend a material or
method of repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 5:25 pm, wrote:
My brother and his wife had their bathroom redone recently - more
recently a hairline crack had occurred in their sink, one of thse bowl-
shaped things sitting on a table base. He was wondering what he could
use to seal the crack, not necessarily to make it invisible, just
functional.
I haven't seen the place in ages and I'm not sure what the material is
- he said it's stone, but maybe it's some manmade composite, ceramic
or what...I imagine that would determine the fix.
He's still trying to figure out how the crack got there...doubts
something fell on it, wonders if a recent reroofing job might have
jarred some plumbing - a vent stack or something.

VMacek

If "stone" it is most likely a solid surface product like Corian which
is repairable. I know DuPont warrants all it's materials which
include Corian and granite for 10 years. I would think other
manufacturers would have similar warranties. I would contact the
installer to make repair or replace.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 7:29 am, "Frank" wrote:
On Mar 4, 5:25 pm, wrote:

If "stone" it is most likely a solid surface product like Corian which
is repairable. I know DuPont warrants all it's materials which
include Corian and granite for 10 years. I would think other
manufacturers would have similar warranties. I would contact the
installer to make repair or replace.

Frank

Yeah, 'warranty' was my first thought - don't know if my brother
thought the same; I think they'd had trouble getting their installer
to right some other wrong and maybe don't want to go back down that
road, but...

VMacek