Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas oven stuck on door open but door is not open.

screen on oven door went blank. When I tried to set clock "door Opn" came on. My door is not open. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, It happened again

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-3121584-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2021 4:45 PM, Mary wrote:
screen on oven door went blank. When I tried to set clock "door Opn"
came on. My door is not open.* I unplugged it and plugged it back in, It
happened again

Probably a bad sensor or switch
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 4:29:42 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/26/2021 4:45 PM, Mary wrote:
screen on oven door went blank. When I tried to set clock "door Opn"
came on. My door is not open. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, It
happened again

Probably a bad sensor or switch

It wouldn't hurt to unplug the oven or shut off the power. Wiggle any wiring you can
get to that leads to the screen or its power supply. Unhook and reconnect whatever
connectors there might be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 26 May 2021 20:45:02 +0000, Mary
wrote:

screen on oven door went blank. When I tried to set clock "door Opn" came on. My door is not open. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, It happened again

I never had this problem with our 1945 gas stove. Never had to set the
clock at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 5:29:42 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/26/2021 4:45 PM, Mary wrote:
screen on oven door went blank. When I tried to set clock "door Opn"
came on. My door is not open. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, It
happened again

Probably a bad sensor or switch

+1

They can probably find a diagram for the oven at one of the online parts
stores that will show where that device is and give an idea of how to get
to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2021 5:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/26/2021 4:45 PM, Mary wrote:
screen on oven door went blank. When I tried to set clock "door Opn"
came on. My door is not open.* I unplugged it and plugged it back in,
It happened again

Probably a bad sensor or switch

Ovens like cars today are full of electronics and chips.

We got good news yesterday on our two year old oven that we dumped a
bundle into and it still malfunctions. We will get all new electronics
for just a $50 service charge.

The crappy oven that came with the house must have lasted over 25 years
but now you are lucky to get 10 years out of one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2021 4:45 PM, Mary wrote:
screen on oven door went blank. When I tried to set clock "door Opn"
came on. My door is not open.* I unplugged it and plugged it back in,
It happened again

Probably a bad sensor or switch

Ovens like cars today are full of electronics and chips.

We got good news yesterday on our two year old oven that we dumped a
bundle into and it still malfunctions.* We will get all new electronics
for just a $50 service charge.

The crappy oven that came with the house must have lasted over 25 years
but now you are lucky to get 10 years out of one.

You can also get a service contract. I just got an offer from GE to
cover range, microwave and dishwasher for 5 years. They want $1100 for
it. No thanks, I'll take my chances.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2021 4:45 PM, Mary wrote:
screen on oven door went blank. When I tried to set clock "door Opn"
came on. My door is not open.* I unplugged it and plugged it back
in, It happened again

Probably a bad sensor or switch

Ovens like cars today are full of electronics and chips.

We got good news yesterday on our two year old oven that we dumped a
bundle into and it still malfunctions.* We will get all new
electronics for just a $50 service charge.

The crappy oven that came with the house must have lasted over 25
years but now you are lucky to get 10 years out of one.

You can also get a service contract. I just got an offer from GE to
cover range, microwave and dishwasher for 5 years.* They want $1100 for
it.* No thanks, I'll take my chances.

The offer may have had the GE logo on it but I bet it was marketed by
some insurance agency while the actual carrier is some second or third
tier casualty insurance company who contracts with GE.

The agency probably buys the new appliance owners' info from GE and have
to kick back a commission on every policy they sell.

--
Do those Gun Free Zone No Weapons signs on some store and office
building front doors keep you safer or put you at greater risk?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2021 4:45 PM, Mary wrote:
screen on oven door went blank. When I tried to set clock "door Opn"
came on. My door is not open.* I unplugged it and plugged it back
in, It happened again

Probably a bad sensor or switch

Ovens like cars today are full of electronics and chips.

We got good news yesterday on our two year old oven that we dumped a
bundle into and it still malfunctions.* We will get all new
electronics for just a $50 service charge.

The crappy oven that came with the house must have lasted over 25
years but now you are lucky to get 10 years out of one.

You can also get a service contract. I just got an offer from GE to
cover range, microwave and dishwasher for 5 years.* They want $1100 for
it.* No thanks, I'll take my chances.

We might consider on next purchase. I would take my chances on those
that cover everything. Like any insurance policy it is a profit to the
insurance company and a crap shoot with the purchaser.

The appliance people we deal with service what they sell but service
calls are expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 4:45:09 PM UTC-4, Mary wrote:
screen on oven door went blank. When I tried to set clock "door Opn" came on. My door is not open. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, It happened again

I know that you are talking about an oven door, but I'm going to toss this out anyway.

There is a common problem with some dishwashers where the latch for the door doesn't fully
engage. Since the door status sensor is built into that latch, all it takes is a slight mechanical
adjustment to get the latch to engage fully.

Both my son and I (different makes of DW) were able to fix our "door open" issue through mechanical/
physical means.

In my case, all it took was a shim between the top of the DW - right above the latch - and the counter
to force the latch to engage tighter. In my son's case, his DW wasn't level side to side, which tweaked
the frame slightly cause the latch to not depress the sensor enough. In both cases the latch physically
held the door closed, but "electronically" it was still open.

Take a look at your door latch. Press down on the top of the stove and lift up on the door. Maybe
something has settled/shifted.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2021 4:45 PM, Mary wrote:
[...]

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home..._contracts.htm
As of 4/08/2021

"GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers
extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant,
GEs authorized provider of extended warranties."