PEX vs. CPVC vs. Copper

Old February 19th 14, 12:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX vs. CPVC vs. Copper

replying to Bob F, lifeisadimension wrote:
bobnospam wrote:

"Oughtsix" wrote in message
oups.com...
CPVC has a smaller inside diameterthan copper, So water flows
through it faster for a given flow rate.
Bob

My understanding is that when the diameter reduces the velocity of the
water increases, though the volume decreases. A hose nozzle illustrates
this understanding.

Old February 19th 14, 05:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

A moron's useless post to a thread that is 7 years old.
Old February 20th 14, 12:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

all the HDs and lowes around here sell PEX. Sharkbite fittings, including Ts, ball valves and adapters make plumbing very easy. Pex can freeze and thaw without damage.

pex flexes around obstacles extremely easily.

I fixed some frozen copper lines replacing them with PEX. got one bathroom and laundry working for a realtive. have more to do perhaps this weekend.

we accidently reveresed the hot and cold lines to the bathroom, just used the sharkbites to fix that. Snap snap all done.

I am going to relocate some lines in a crawlspace, install a vent in the floor to allow some warm air to enter the crawlspace, and insulate some of the crawlspace. We can easily relocate the pex to interior heated space, but theres still a drain trap that freezes in the crawl space. so insulating and heating it might be the better option.
Old October 20th 15, 04:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Harry K, sherwoodarcher wrote:
turnkey4099 wrote:

I replaced the entire galvanized system in this house with CPVC back
in the mid 80s, have run 1" water line to the community wall for 1/4
mile in PVC, have run probably 1000 ft or more of PVC irrigation line
over the years. Have never had but 2 leaks. One was my fault, I used
a female PVC to iron adapter (it split on the casting line), the other
was a _very_ slow drip on a hot water line that was in an awkward
place to fit it up. It sealed itself in a week or two.
Copper - most expensive and hardest to work with.
PEX - cheaper but the fittings are a bit expensive and special tools
are required.
PVC/CPVC - cheapest, simplest and all fittings are available
everywhere, no special tool required. A hacksaw, small pipe wrench
(for iron to pvc adapters) and a can of glue is all that is required.
You can chop out many feet of line and fittings and just toss it at a
cost of only a few dollars for replacement material.

In my cause I replaced all CPVC pipes in my house after ant extermination
with PEX pipe. All CPVC glue get f**ked after small amount of chemicals
cover the connections. I do not recommend use CPVC by few reasons see why
*http://www.canarsee.com/pex-vs-cpvc-pipe*

Now fittings for PEX is cheaper than any other fittings and not necessary
to glue.

Old October 20th 15, 02:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to bud-- , lifeisadimension wrote:
null wrote:

A moron's useless post to a thread that is 7 years old.

Hey, lighten up. While the reply may or may not still be of interest to
the original poster or to you, there are and will continue to be many
other people who can benefit from the reply.

Old October 20th 15, 04:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

--

PEX is awesome, because freezing does noharm to pex. when it melts everything works as before

copper or cpvc water pipes? Zootal Home Repair 30 August 14th 06 03:52 PM
Pex or Copper boubou Home Repair 7 December 1st 05 01:31 AM
coupling copper and cpvc frankg Home Repair 17 May 27th 05 02:53 PM
Do you like CPVC as much as copper? Harry Everhart Home Repair 29 March 28th 05 10:02 PM
Mix copper and pvc/cpvc supply lines? Mike Dapkus Home Repair 4 March 11th 04 09:53 PM