Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX vs. CPVC vs. Copper

I'm rehabbing a bathroom on the second floor of my old house in
Philadelphia, and I'm running all new supply lines. I'll be tapping
into copper in the basement, and I have a wide open chase to get to
the second floor. What should I run? Copper is getting awfully
expensive these days, and I'm curious about the cpvc and pex. The
simplicity really appeals to me. What's the word on the reliability
of the plastics? Are they really easier to work with? What about
durability? Am I going to have to make sure that all the connections
are easily accessible? I'm just curious about general opinions people
have and what to watch out for. Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to alt.home.repair

CPVP is the lease expensive way to go. Plex isn't all that expensive
until you start adding fittings. When I relocated our water heater
from under the stairs to our utility room I used cpvc. Copper would
have cost a fortune. The thing I noticed was that even thoug the
water heater was farther away hot water hit the faucets faster. I am
sure it is because it didn't have to heat up the copper along the way
every time a faucet was turned on. I would reccomend doing the whole
bathroom in CPVC. Do NOT do hot in CPVC and cold in PVC. It is not
worthe the headaches to mix the two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 12:32 pm, "Andrew" wrote:
I'm running all new supply lines. I have a wide open chase to get
the second floor. What should I run? Copper is getting awfully
expensive these days, and I'm curious about the cpvc and pex. The
simplicity really appeals to me. What's the word on the reliability
of the plastics? Are they really easier to work with? What about
durability? Am I going to have to make sure that all the connections
are easily accessible? I'm just curious about general opinions people
have and what to watch out for. Thanks,

Plastic pipe is reliable and easy to install. I don't think it is
more durable than metal pipe but time will only tell since it a newer
product. I do know that they used to use copper in hdyronic systems
and failures were frequent. Now plastic is the only material used.
If your pipe is buried in slab or otherwise protected the plastic will
last. If you pipe is inside a wall and therfore exposed to possible
rodent damage then maybe metal pipe is safer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Mar 2007 10:32:59 -0800, "Andrew"
wrote:

I'm rehabbing a bathroom on the second floor of my old house in
Philadelphia, and I'm running all new supply lines. I'll be tapping
into copper in the basement, and I have a wide open chase to get to
the second floor. What should I run? Copper is getting awfully
expensive these days, and I'm curious about the cpvc and pex. The
simplicity really appeals to me. What's the word on the reliability
of the plastics? Are they really easier to work with? What about
durability? Am I going to have to make sure that all the connections
are easily accessible? I'm just curious about general opinions people
have and what to watch out for. Thanks,

Andrew

My house is 10 years old and is all PEX with a manifold. To my
knowledge there has never been a leak. When we did a bath remodel it
was simple to work with. I can say PEX is a reliable product.

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrew" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm rehabbing a bathroom on the second floor of my old house in
Philadelphia, and I'm running all new supply lines. I'll be tapping
into copper in the basement, and I have a wide open chase to get to
the second floor. What should I run? Copper is getting awfully
expensive these days, and I'm curious about the cpvc and pex. The
simplicity really appeals to me. What's the word on the reliability
of the plastics? Are they really easier to work with? What about
durability? Am I going to have to make sure that all the connections
are easily accessible? I'm just curious about general opinions people
have and what to watch out for. Thanks,

Andrew

I just finished re-plumbing my old galvanized pipes and I used PEX. If you
search a little on this group you'll probably find a few of my old posts on
this very topic. I waver back and forth between PEX and copper, reliability
is a big question in my mind, the issues with Polybutalene are too real and
in my mind PEX MIGHT possibly have the same problems??? I still went with
it, it's a snap to install, can be very wasteful when it comes to the
tubing, but the tubing is very cheap. Common fittings are available locally
and are reasonably inexpensive. Personally I think copper and PEX are a
wash when it comes to small jobs, but that's just me.

PEX looks very messy, so if the tubing is exposed it will look dangerous and
half-assed to the casual observer - but that's just what it looks like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 3:41 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Yeah, everything will be concealed, so it won't be that big a deal.
Having nearly set my house on fire several times sweating copper, the
snap connections really appeal to me. As long as they're reliable,
the cost almost doesn't even matter. The manifolds seem really
convenient too. One other thing, since you've been living with PEX
for awhile, is there any taste or smell to the water that comes
through it? I was wondering if maybe the hot water lines in
particular might be noticeable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 5:13�pm, "Andrew" wrote:
On Mar 2, 3:41 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

particular might be noticeable.- Hide quoted text -

PEX is better no fittings Ts etc buried in walls

Run seperate lines for sink, tub, toilet etc.

Better flow, easier service with manifold.

Flushing toilet doesnt effect person showering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 5:18 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 2, 5:13?pm, "Andrew" wrote:

On Mar 2, 3:41 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Wait, now this is interesting. Is this the way it HAS to be run?
With a sink, tub and toilet, that would mean 5 lines running to the
basement. Is that really the best way to do it? I guess if the
tubing is cheap it shouldn't matter. But is this really the way
people run PEX? Each fixture is attached separately to the manifold?
Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrew" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 2, 3:41 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Maybe at first, but after about 2 days that's all gone.

One thing, PEX expands when it gets hot - make sure none of your connections
are confined.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrew" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 2, 5:18 pm, " wrote:
On Mar 2, 5:13?pm, "Andrew" wrote:

On Mar 2, 3:41 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

It's not how I run it, but that's really how it should be run.

I have a single 3/4" line from the hot water tank that splits to a 3/4" line
to the basement and a 1/2" line to the washing machine. From there the 3/4"
line splits to 3 lines - one to the bathroom sink, bathroom shower, kitchen
sink. (I have a small house)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew,

I'm rehabbing a bathroom on the second floor of my old house in
Philadelphia, and I'm running all new supply lines. I'll be tapping
into copper in the basement, and I have a wide open chase to get to
the second floor. What should I run? Copper is getting awfully
expensive these days, and I'm curious about the cpvc and pex.

When we built our house a couple of years ago, I chose CPVC for our hot
AND cold supplies, for a variety of reasons:

It's inexpensive.

It's readily available just about everywhere, including mom and pop
hardware stores. You'll be thankful for that if you run out of supplies
near the end of your project, or if you need to make an emergency repair
in the future.

It's lightweight. A big plus if you're crawling around in a crawlspace or
an attic. Much easier than dragging a large coil of PEX around.

It's highly resistant to acidic or other poor quality water conditions.
Copper can sometimes get pinhole leaks.

It only requires a few basic hand tools to install. PEX requires an
expensive crimping tool to install the fittings.

It takes very little practice to learn how to make professional quality,
leakproof, connections. Copper requires a bit of "skill" and experience
to achieve attractive and waterproof joints.

There's no risk of accidently starting a fire since no torch is needed.
However, be careful with the solvent fumes in confined spaces.

It's widely accepted by most plumbing codes. So you shouldn't have any
inspection problems even with the "old-timers".

The only "gotchas" you may want to be careful of a

CPVC expands in length with temperature, so try not to make long
continuous runs over 20' or so. Add a bend or two in long runs to allow
some expansion.

CPVC (and most plastics) don't hold up to "stress" applications very
well. So avoid CPVC valves and use the appropriate brass drop-ear elbows
at all your fixtures. The best ones have a gasket between the brass and
CPVC parts of the fitting to accomodate the different expansion rates.
Expensive (about $5), but worth it.

DO NOT use a female threaded adapter made of CPVC. They're against code,
and I know from personal experience they will crack. If you need to adapt
to another pipe, only use MALE threaded CPVC adapters (the female adapter
would be on the copper, Galvanized, or whatever). Or better yet, use an
adapter made specifically for the purpose.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrew" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm rehabbing a bathroom on the second floor of my old house in
Philadelphia, and I'm running all new supply lines. I'll be tapping
into copper in the basement, and I have a wide open chase to get to
the second floor. What should I run? Copper is getting awfully
expensive these days, and I'm curious about the cpvc and pex. The
simplicity really appeals to me. What's the word on the reliability
of the plastics? Are they really easier to work with? What about
durability? Am I going to have to make sure that all the connections
are easily accessible? I'm just curious about general opinions people
have and what to watch out for. Thanks,

Andrew

I'll take copper over PEX any day. PEX is along the same lines as all the
disposable products that are dominating the market. It's just another low
cost item to make somebody more Money. It's probably a very small factor in
the price of a house. PRICE, TIME, QUALITY any two but not all three. Best
not to feed the mice use copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 10:32 am, "Andrew" wrote:
I'm rehabbing a bathroom on the second floor of my old house in
Philadelphia, and I'm running all new supply lines. I'll be tapping
into copper in the basement, and I have a wide open chase to get to
the second floor. What should I run? Copper is getting awfully
expensive these days, and I'm curious about the cpvc and pex. The
simplicity really appeals to me. What's the word on the reliability
of the plastics? Are they really easier to work with? What about
durability? Am I going to have to make sure that all the connections
are easily accessible? I'm just curious about general opinions people
have and what to watch out for. Thanks,

Andrew

I replaced the entire galvanized system in this house with CPVC back
in the mid 80s, have run 1" water line to the community wall for 1/4
mile in PVC, have run probably 1000 ft or more of PVC irrigation line
over the years. Have never had but 2 leaks. One was my fault, I used
a female PVC to iron adapter (it split on the casting line), the other
was a _very_ slow drip on a hot water line that was in an awkward
place to fit it up. It sealed itself in a week or two.

Copper - most expensive and hardest to work with.

PEX - cheaper but the fittings are a bit expensive and special tools
are required.

PVC/CPVC - cheapest, simplest and all fittings are available
everywhere, no special tool required. A hacksaw, small pipe wrench
(for iron to pvc adapters) and a can of glue is all that is required.
You can chop out many feet of line and fittings and just toss it at a
cost of only a few dollars for replacement material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oughtsix" wrote in message
oups.com...
CPVP is the lease expensive way to go. Plex isn't all that expensive
until you start adding fittings. When I relocated our water heater
from under the stairs to our utility room I used cpvc. Copper would
have cost a fortune. The thing I noticed was that even thoug the
water heater was farther away hot water hit the faucets faster. I am
sure it is because it didn't have to heat up the copper along the way
every time a faucet was turned on.

CPVC has a smaller inside diameterthan copper, So water flows
through it faster for a given flow rate.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 8:59 pm, "Sacramento Dave" wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

These are all great comments. I'm curious about this "feeding the
mice" that you mention (and others allude to). Has anyone really seen
mice eat through PVC? Incidentally, I took a pass by Home Depot the
other day and noticed that they don't even sell PEX. I guess I'd have
to go to a plumbing supply place?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew wrote:
[...]

These are all great comments. I'm curious about this "feeding the
mice" that you mention (and others allude to). Has anyone really seen
mice eat through PVC? Incidentally, I took a pass by Home Depot the
other day and noticed that they don't even sell PEX. I guess I'd have
to go to a plumbing supply place?

Must be your HD. We bought all our PEX pipe at our HD. They even had
a few PEX fittings as well.

--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Grandpa" wrote in message news:QXoGh.152$iD4.2@trnddc06...
Andrew wrote:
[...]

These are all great comments. I'm curious about this "feeding the
mice" that you mention (and others allude to). Has anyone really seen
mice eat through PVC? Incidentally, I took a pass by Home Depot the
other day and noticed that they don't even sell PEX. I guess I'd have
to go to a plumbing supply place?

Must be your HD. We bought all our PEX pipe at our HD. They even had a few
PEX fittings as well.

--
Grandpa

HD in my areas absolutely doesn't sell PEX either, they sell tons of PB, but
no PEX. Last time I asked, the answer I got was "PEX is for trailer homes,
we don't sell it here."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Has anyone really seen mice eat through PVC?

I've never heard of a mouse eating PVC pipe, but they'll chew through just
about anything if they have a reason. Better to get rid of the mice than
worry about whether they'll eat your plumbing. (They'll eat your food too,
but you don't avoid food because of it).

I took a pass by Home Depot the other day and noticed that
they don't even sell PEX.

We have a Lowes and three Home Depots in our area. I think I have seen a
roll of PEX at Lowes, and maybe one of the Home Depot's. But, it was on a
bottom shelf, you had to look hard for it.

We bought all our PEX pipe at our HD.
They even had a few PEX fittings as well.

And that's the catch. PEX isn't of much use without the appropriate
fittings, manifolds, and the crimping tool. Even if I was lucky enough to
find the PEX I needed at the home centers, I couldn't do anything with it
unless I had the fittings and the tool.

You could always order everything you need online, or at a local plumbing
supply, but that isn't much help if you spring a leak and need to make
emergency repairs. Sure, leaks shouldn't occur under normal circumstances,
but accidents happen. You could accidently pierce a pipe in a wall with a
nail while hanging a picture, or the fabled mouse could chew a hole in the
pipe. Using CPVC makes it easy to go to any local store and get the
supplies I need to fix it. And since no special tools are required, I can
easily keep a few supplies on hand just for those kinds of emergencies.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HerHusband" wrote in message

And that's the catch. PEX isn't of much use without the appropriate
fittings, manifolds, and the crimping tool. Even if I was lucky enough to
find the PEX I needed at the home centers, I couldn't do anything with it
unless I had the fittings and the tool.

A local hardware chain, Aubuchon's carries some PEX and has compression
fitting for it. In my case, I needed to do a 6' patch where the copper was
a problem. It is a situation where it is difficult to get to solder, can't
get the right fittings, etc. PEX was a simple fix. While Sacramento Dave
like copper because it is a lifetime job, this particular setup has failed
twice because of a bad setup from the original plumbing job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Suddes had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...er-199672-.htm
:

Rick Suddes
-------------------------------------
Lawrence wrote:

On Mar 2, 12:32 pm, "Andrew"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bob F, lifeisadimension wrote:
bobnospam wrote:

"Oughtsix" wrote in message
oups.com...
CPVC has a smaller inside diameterthan copper, So water flows
through it faster for a given flow rate.
Bob

My understanding is that when the diameter reduces the velocity of the
water increases, though the volume decreases. A hose nozzle illustrates
this understanding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A moron's useless post to a thread that is 7 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

all the HDs and lowes around here sell PEX. Sharkbite fittings, including Ts, ball valves and adapters make plumbing very easy. Pex can freeze and thaw without damage.

pex flexes around obstacles extremely easily.

I fixed some frozen copper lines replacing them with PEX. got one bathroom and laundry working for a realtive. have more to do perhaps this weekend.

we accidently reveresed the hot and cold lines to the bathroom, just used the sharkbites to fix that. Snap snap all done.

I am going to relocate some lines in a crawlspace, install a vent in the floor to allow some warm air to enter the crawlspace, and insulate some of the crawlspace. We can easily relocate the pex to interior heated space, but theres still a drain trap that freezes in the crawl space. so insulating and heating it might be the better option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Harry K, sherwoodarcher wrote:
turnkey4099 wrote:

[...]

In my cause I replaced all CPVC pipes in my house after ant extermination
with PEX pipe. All CPVC glue get f**ked after small amount of chemicals
cover the connections. I do not recommend use CPVC by few reasons see why
*http://www.canarsee.com/pex-vs-cpvc-pipe*

Now fittings for PEX is cheaper than any other fittings and not necessary
to glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to bud-- , lifeisadimension wrote:
null wrote:

A moron's useless post to a thread that is 7 years old.

Hey, lighten up. While the reply may or may not still be of interest to
the original poster or to you, there are and will continue to be many
other people who can benefit from the reply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

null wrote:

A moron's useless post to a thread that is 7 years old.

Hey, lighten up. While the reply may or may not still be of interest to
the original poster or to you, there are and will continue to be many
other people who can benefit from the reply.

--

PEX is awesome, because freezing does noharm to pex. when it melts everything works as before
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have used CPVC and pex. The issue with CPVC is it gets brittle after a few years. It doesn't take much to break it. I quite using it a few years back and went to pex. I have only had one issue with pex. Pex isnt made for high temperatures. I wouldn't install it on any lines that the temperature will exceed 150°F. Also never install pex in direct sunlight it will break it down.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-199654-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 May 2021 01:15:02 +0000, Hgreen
wrote:

I have used CPVC and pex. The issue with CPVC is it gets brittle after a few years. It doesn't take much to break it. I quite using it a few years back and went to pex. I have only had one issue with pex. Pex isnt made for high temperatures. I wouldn't install it on any lines that the temperature will exceed 150°F. Also never install pex in direct sunlight it will break it down.

Homemoaners troll
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, lighten up please. While the post may be 7 years old, the topic of discussion is not.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-199654-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 May 2021 13:31:13 +0000, lifeisadimension
wrote:

Hey, lighten up please. While the post may be 7 years old, the topic of discussion is not.

Troll, troll, troll

copper or cpvc water pipes? Zootal Home Repair 30 August 14th 06 04:52 PM
Pex or Copper boubou Home Repair 7 December 1st 05 02:31 AM
coupling copper and cpvc frankg Home Repair 17 May 27th 05 03:53 PM
Do you like CPVC as much as copper? Harry Everhart Home Repair 29 March 28th 05 11:02 PM
Mix copper and pvc/cpvc supply lines? Mike Dapkus Home Repair 4 March 11th 04 10:53 PM