Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood Filler For Exterior Wood Patching ?

Hi,

Have a piece of our patio door (a wooden section) that has a bit of rot in
it.

But 99 % of the door is just fine.

Thought I could scrape out the bad part and "fill" it in with something, and
re-paint the area.

i remember from years ago there was a product called Plastic-Wood.

I imagine by now there are lots of "better" wood fillers available for
exterior use.

Anybody able to recommend any (remember, it has to be for exterior, and
set-up hard) ?

BTW: Any with epoxy in them as a component ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 1:37�pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Have a piece of our patio door (a wooden section) that has a bit of rot in
it.

But 99 % of the door is just fine.

Thought I could scrape out the bad part and "fill" it in with something, and
re-paint the area.

i remember from years ago there was a product called Plastic-Wood.

I imagine by now there are lots of "better" wood fillers available for
exterior use.

Anybody able to recommend any (remember, it has to be for exterior, and
set-up hard) ?

BTW: *Any with epoxy in them as a component ?

Thanks,
Bob

2 part wod epoxy, once repaired address why its detoriating so the
problem doesnt spread

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 1:37 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Have a piece of our patio door (a wooden section) that has a bit of rot in
it.

But 99 % of the door is just fine.

Thought I could scrape out the bad part and "fill" it in with something, and
re-paint the area.

i remember from years ago there was a product called Plastic-Wood.

I imagine by now there are lots of "better" wood fillers available for
exterior use.

Anybody able to recommend any (remember, it has to be for exterior, and
set-up hard) ?

BTW: Any with epoxy in them as a component ?

Thanks,
Bob

I use plastic wood products for small repairs only. They are
not that strong and are surprisingly difficult to use since the
solvent evaporates so rapidly.

I use Bondo-type unsaturated polyester products for larger repairs.
I have some Bondo-type repairs of rotted wood doing well after 3 years
in the Tampa area and 3 years in upper Michigan.

I have not tried the more expensive epoxy products yet.

I would expect the epoxy to outperform the Bondo (unsaturated
polyester) when dealing with exterior concrete repair. I would expect
both to perform similarly in exterior wood repair (i.e. exterior wood
is poor substrate and the superior adhesive properties of the epoxy
would be wasted).

Waterproof your repair or it won't last.

I would expect both to outperform plastic wood in any exterior
application.

Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 1:37 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Have a piece of our patio door (a wooden section) that has a bit of rot in
it.

But 99 % of the door is just fine.

Thought I could scrape out the bad part and "fill" it in with something, and
re-paint the area.

i remember from years ago there was a product called Plastic-Wood.

I imagine by now there are lots of "better" wood fillers available for
exterior use.

Anybody able to recommend any (remember, it has to be for exterior, and
set-up hard) ?

BTW: Any with epoxy in them as a component ?

Thanks,
Bob

I always save some sawdust off the power saw and use it as a filler
with either epoxy, polyester, or waterproof glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hi,

Have a piece of our patio door (a wooden section) that has a bit of rot in
it.

But 99 % of the door is just fine.

Thought I could scrape out the bad part and "fill" it in with something,
and re-paint the area.

i remember from years ago there was a product called Plastic-Wood.

I imagine by now there are lots of "better" wood fillers available for
exterior use.

Anybody able to recommend any (remember, it has to be for exterior, and
set-up hard) ?

BTW: Any with epoxy in them as a component ?

Thanks,
Bob

I believe that it's MinWax who makes a two-step process. After tearing out
the rot and finding the cause per hallerb the first step is a liquid
'hardener'. I don't know what it is but it peneterates and hardens pretty
quickly. After that comes the two-part Bondo type filler. It even smells
like good old Bondo. It works easily and has stayed in place for 4 years on
the bottom of a steel faced door. The bottom wooden stile had been eaten
away by carpenter ants.

wood filler Lee Woodworking 7 February 8th 07 06:53 PM
Wood filler Dave Woodworking 11 October 27th 06 10:09 PM
wood filler for exterior use Zz Yzx Woodworking 9 February 27th 06 12:48 AM
exterior wood filler Zz Yzx Home Repair 8 February 26th 06 11:18 PM
Wood Flooring repairs and patching AutoTracer Home Repair 1 March 6th 05 07:48 AM