What is the best product for recurring drywall cracks?

Old February 28th 07, 11:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is the best product for recurring drywall cracks?

Every couple of years, cracks in my drywall keep reappearing in more
or less the same spot. I resurface them with drywall compound, repaint
and sure enough, they come back.

The cracks are very small(possibly due to a weak spot susceptible to
freeze-thaw shifting of the house foundation) ..... is there are more
flexible product I could use to cover them up? Drywall compound is too
brittle and does not do the trick.

Thanks ..... what a great forum! Wish I would have discovered it years
ago.

Eric

Eric N. Leclair

Old February 28th 07, 12:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Eric wrote:
Every couple of years, cracks in my drywall keep reappearing in more
or less the same spot. I resurface them with drywall compound, repaint
and sure enough, they come back.

The cracks are very small(possibly due to a weak spot susceptible to
freeze-thaw shifting of the house foundation) ..... is there are more
flexible product I could use to cover them up? Drywall compound is too
brittle and does not do the trick.

Thanks ..... what a great forum! Wish I would have discovered it years
ago.

Eric

Eric N. Leclair

Paintable caulk, from any paint or hardware store. Smoosh it into the
crack with your finger, wipe surface with damp rag, let dry, prime, paint.
Old February 28th 07, 12:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 6:46 am, "Eric" wrote:
Every couple of years, cracks in my drywall keep reappearing in more
or less the same spot. I resurface them with drywall compound, repaint
and sure enough, they come back.

The cracks are very small(possibly due to a weak spot susceptible to
freeze-thaw shifting of the house foundation) ..... is there are more
flexible product I could use to cover them up? Drywall compound is too
brittle and does not do the trick.

Thanks ..... what a great forum! Wish I would have discovered it years
ago.

Eric

Eric N. Leclair

Use drywall glass mesh tape over crack.
Frank

Old February 28th 07, 02:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Use drywall glass mesh tape over crack.

Actually, the paper tape is stronger and less prone to cracking.

Chris
Old February 28th 07, 02:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, Frank says...

On Feb 28, 6:46 am, "Eric" wrote:
Every couple of years, cracks in my drywall keep reappearing in more
or less the same spot. I resurface them with drywall compound, repaint
and sure enough, they come back.

The cracks are very small(possibly due to a weak spot susceptible to
freeze-thaw shifting of the house foundation) ..... is there are more
flexible product I could use to cover them up? Drywall compound is too
brittle and does not do the trick.

Thanks ..... what a great forum! Wish I would have discovered it years
ago.

Eric

Eric N. Leclair

Use drywall glass mesh tape over crack.
Frank

I endorse this solution. I had a drywall cracking issue in one bedroom at the
corner of my house where I had freeze/thaw foundation issues. The foundation
was later upgraded, but the drywall cracking was repaired using the mesh tape
before that, and held up well over a couple of seasonal cycles before then.
Worked amazingly well.

Banty

Old February 28th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 28, 6:46 am, "Eric" wrote:
Every couple of years, cracks in my drywall keep reappearing in more
or less the same spot. I resurface them with drywall compound, repaint
and sure enough, they come back.

The cracks are very small(possibly due to a weak spot susceptible to
freeze-thaw shifting of the house foundation) ..... is there are more
flexible product I could use to cover them up? Drywall compound is too
brittle and does not do the trick.

Thanks ..... what a great forum! Wish I would have discovered it years
ago.

Eric

Eric N. Leclair

Use drywall glass mesh tape over crack.
Frank

I'll add a vote for this idea. It even works well on plaster. Previous home:
15 years later, no cracks, according to new owner.

Old February 28th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Chris Friesen says...

Frank wrote:

Use drywall glass mesh tape over crack.

Actually, the paper tape is stronger and less prone to cracking.

But it has less give.

Banty

Old February 28th 07, 04:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Banty" wrote in message
In article . com, Frank
says...

On Feb 28, 6:46 am, "Eric" wrote:
[...]

I too recommend the fiberglass tape. I had an old house in Los Angeles
where one corner over a door cracked very badly every year. I must have
repaired that crack half a dozen times before I used the tape. After using
the tape I never had another crack over that door for the rest of the time
I lived in that house which was about twelve years.

Old February 28th 07, 05:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 28 Feb 2007 03:46:20 -0800, "Eric" wrote:

Every couple of years, cracks in my drywall keep reappearing in more
or less the same spot. I resurface them with drywall compound, repaint
and sure enough, they come back.

The cracks are very small(possibly due to a weak spot susceptible to
freeze-thaw shifting of the house foundation) ..... is there are more
flexible product I could use to cover them up? Drywall compound is too
brittle and does not do the trick.

Thanks ..... what a great forum! Wish I would have discovered it years
ago.

I think the choice between elastic caulk and mesh tape depends on how
bad the cracks are, how many they are, and how much work you want to
do. The caulk is proably more likely to have to be redone, but the
mesh will be noticablly thick and noticeably meshy and will have to
have a lot of stuff put over it to cover the mesh. And it might be
easier to do the caulk 2 or 3 times than the mesh even once.

There are caulk or spackle-type products, special for cracks, that are
elastic. I forget the names but the paint store guy will know.

Eric

Eric N. Leclair

Old February 28th 07, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "Eric" wrote:
Every couple of years, cracks in my drywall keep reappearing in more
or less the same spot. I resurface them with drywall compound, repaint
and sure enough, they come back.

The cracks are very small(possibly due to a weak spot susceptible to
freeze-thaw shifting of the house foundation) ..... is there are more
flexible product I could use to cover them up? Drywall compound is too
brittle and does not do the trick.

There's a dozen of products -- hard to say which will be
best for your specific problem.

However, it sounds like you need something a lot more
flexible/elastic than what you've used in the past.

Bear in mind, those products are likely not sandable!
You'll need to apply it correctly, first time. Spend
a few minutes playing with the gunk and an old bit of
sheetrock, cardboard or whatever just to get the "feel"
of the stuff.

You probably don't want to go for the ultimate in
flexibility (i.e. silcone) since that is neither
sandable nor paintable.

One problem I have found with many of the more flexible
fillers is that they shrink during the cure. That's
only likely to be a problem if the cracks are large.

Alternatively, you might consider applying a textured
finish to the entire wall/room. This can be done using
relatively flexible mixes that may absorb the movement
well enough. Even if some minor cracking does come
through, it will likely be a lot less visible. Hairline
cracks are a hugely less obvious on textured versus
flat/smooth finishes.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |