Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting a Preformed Laminate Countertop

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to install preformed laminate countertops that come
in right and left hand miters. The ones I'll be using have an
integrated back splash and a bullnosed edge. A picture of what I'm
talking about is available at: http://tinyurl.com/3cxmob

They seem like a fairly good solution for the price, but I'm a little
lost as to which is the best way to cut them. There's one butt joint
that will fall at my kitchen sink and if it's not square and true the
seam will have gaps. Does anyone know how to make this join tight?

I thought about using a jig and a fine toothed skilsaw, but the
backsplash prevents it. A bandsaw would work well if I had one large
enough for the job, but I don't. My idea at this point is to use a
jigsaw and a belt sander to dress the edge.

I welcome any ideas.

Thanks in advance,
-Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trbo20" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to make this join tight?

I thought about using a jig and a fine toothed skilsaw, but the
backsplash prevents it. A bandsaw would work well if I had one large
enough for the job, but I don't. My idea at this point is to use a
jigsaw and a belt sander to dress the edge.

I'd find someone with a good tablesaw or radial arm saw and buy them a six
pack of their favorite beverage. IMO, anything done with a jigsaw is not
going to be as perfect as needed for that application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Idea 1:
Put some wide masking tape covering where you want the cut to be on
the top of the counter top. Turn the counter over and mount a
straight on the back. Use a quality fine tooth blade in your skill
saw. After you made the initial cut in the counter top come back and
finish the cut in the back splash.

Any cut you have to clean up with a sander won't be very tight.

Idea 2:
Cut the counter long then clean up with a router, flush cut bit and a
straigt edge.

Idea 3:
Personally I would use the Radial arm saw and six pack advice. Where
do you live? (I like micro brews!)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 23, 1:43 pm, "trbo20" wrote:
snip

Just for the heck of it, call a local woodworking shop and ask them
what they would charge to do it for you. IMO, $20 or $30 for a near
perfect job would save a ton of grief and let you get on with the
other elements of your project. Most importantly, use the trigonometry
you had in school to get your corner measurements dead accurate. Also,
remember that the back splash has to fit up against an absolutely
straight walls to avoid the ugly gaps that are the curse of the DIY
countertop installations. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"trbo20" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to make this join tight?

I thought about using a jig and a fine toothed skilsaw, but the
backsplash prevents it. A bandsaw would work well if I had one large
enough for the job, but I don't. My idea at this point is to use a
jigsaw and a belt sander to dress the edge.

I'd find someone with a good tablesaw or radial arm saw and buy them
a six pack of their favorite beverage. IMO, anything done with a
jigsaw is not going to be as perfect as needed for that application.

Beverage use AFTER the cut.