Posted to alt.home.repair
FH FH is offline

Default light bulbs

i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan. when i
went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that actually screws
in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it felt tight (the
connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew them. is there something i
could put on the metal threads to keep that from happening again?

thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FH" wrote in message
. ..
i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan. when i
went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that actually
screws in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it felt tight (the
connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew them. is there something
i could put on the metal threads to keep that from happening again?

thanks in advance

Go to an auto parts store and get a little tube of dielectric grease. Put a
very thin film of it on the threads of the new light bulbs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FH wrote:
i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan.
when i went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that
actually screws in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it
felt tight (the connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew
them. is there something i could put on the metal threads to keep
that from happening again?
thanks in advance

Dielectric grease ( I get mine from the auto parts store.) can help.
You also should try to make sure you buy only real brass based lamps. The
aluminum based ones (even those colored to look like brass) tend to have
those problems. The same goes for the metal in the socket.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
FH wrote:
i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan.
when i went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that
actually screws in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it
felt tight (the connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew
them. is there something i could put on the metal threads to keep
that from happening again?
thanks in advance

Dielectric grease ( I get mine from the auto parts store.) can help.
You also should try to make sure you buy only real brass based lamps. The
aluminum based ones (even those colored to look like brass) tend to have
those problems. The same goes for the metal in the socket.

--
Joseph Meehan

I like the real brass idea, but it's sort of hard to buy a ceiling fan and
specify custom features like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like the real brass idea, but it's sort of hard to buy a ceiling fan and
specify custom features like that.

Or to find brass shell bulbs. All of today's brass is being used to make
monkeys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FH wrote:

i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan. when i
went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that actually screws
in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it felt tight (the
connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew them. is there something i
could put on the metal threads to keep that from happening again?

thanks in advance

Use squalene.

That's just a fancy name for "nose oil".

Rub the threads of the bulb against the side of your nose. Unless
yopu've got extremely dry skin enough oil will transfer onto the threads
to keep it from sticking.

Always available and the price is right.

Nose oil is handy for lubing stuff. Clock makers of old used to use it
on shaft bearings and such.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:00:56 -0800, "FH"
wrote:

i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan. when i
went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that actually screws
in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it felt tight (the
connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew them. is there something i
could put on the metal threads to keep that from happening again?

thanks in advance

Use Vaseline. Some dielectric greases are nothing but Petroleum Jelly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
FH wrote:

i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan. when
i went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that actually
screws in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it felt tight
(the connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew them. is there
something i could put on the metal threads to keep that from happening
again?

thanks in advance

Use squalene.

That's just a fancy name for "nose oil".

Rub the threads of the bulb against the side of your nose. Unless yopu've
got extremely dry skin enough oil will transfer onto the threads to keep
it from sticking.

If your nose is dry, try WD40.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

FH wrote:

i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan. when
i went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that actually
screws in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it felt tight
(the connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew them. is there
something i could put on the metal threads to keep that from happening
again?

thanks in advance

Use squalene.

That's just a fancy name for "nose oil".

Rub the threads of the bulb against the side of your nose. Unless yopu've
got extremely dry skin enough oil will transfer onto the threads to keep
it from sticking.

If your nose is dry, try WD40.

On the lightbulbs or on your nose?

BTW, around here at the auto stores, dielectric grease comes in thin
plastic envelopes, a little over an inch square. On a rack with 4
other envelopes, holding spark plug no-freeze, spark plug boot
no-stick, and a couple other things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

FH wrote:
i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan. when i
went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that actually screws
in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it felt tight (the
connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew them. is there something i
could put on the metal threads to keep that from happening again?

http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?itemId=29375105

Bulb EZ light bulb lubricant works great and sure solved the problem for me. I
bought two of the little tubs about 5 years ago thinking it would be hard to
find later. Actually, you use so little that one tub will probably last you
damned near forever.

The stuff has the appearance of silicon grease but the consistency of a soft
plastic. A little goes a looooong way.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

FH wrote:

[...]

Or you can buy a tube of Sil-Glyde which is pretty much the same stuff
and will be a lifetime supply. Unless you lose your tube like I did.

You will find tons of uses for the stuff; it's also good for spark plug
boots, distributor rubbing blocks (assuming you have a car that still
has points) packing automotive light sockets to prevent corrosion
(especially if they've already corroded and you've had to wire-brush
through the cad plating) and assembling calipers and wheel cylinders.
Also makes a good lube for sliding brake parts. Also if you rub some on
your car's door weatherstrip, your door won't freeze shut and the rubber
will last a lot longer.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"FH" wrote in message
i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan. when
i went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that actually
screws in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it felt tight
(the connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew them. is there
something i could put on the metal threads to keep that from happening
again?

thanks in advance

Go to an auto parts store and get a little tube of dielectric grease. Put
a very thin film of it on the threads of the new light bulbs.

I've never seen that automotive dielectric grease used on 115AC circuits
before, I'll have to go look at the package regarding that issue. That
stuff does rock on automotive connectors though!

I have always found that the cheapo bulbs tend to have this problem more
often then the name brand bulbs. One thing to look for though is bulbs are
rated for the base position when burned. I suspect that your ceiling fan
uses the bulbs in a 'base up' position, or at enough of an angle to be
considered base up, and the bulbs you are using are only rated for 'base
down' to 'horizontal' use. This too would cause the problem you describe.
I would check that before I started messing with putting any grease in
there......

Hope this helps!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FH" wrote in message
i recently had to replace a couple of light bulbs on my ceiling fan. when
i went to take one out, the glass seperated from the part that actually
screws in... the second and third bulbs did the same.... it felt tight
(the connecting metal part) as i was trying to unscrew them. is there
something i could put on the metal threads to keep that from happening
again?

thanks in advance

Go to an auto parts store and get a little tube of dielectric grease. Put
a very thin film of it on the threads of the new light bulbs.

I've never seen that automotive dielectric grease used on 115AC circuits
before, I'll have to go look at the package regarding that issue. That
stuff does rock on automotive connectors though!

Using it on AC circuits isn't a problem at all. The trick is to put it on
the bulb's threads, not slather it all over the entire base.

Posted to alt.home.repair
FH FH is offline

Nate;

where can i buy Sil-Glyde ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
FH FH is offline

never heard of this before, thanks Jackson :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
FH FH is offline

update on my bulb problem....

before i could even think of resolving this problem, a family member took a
new bulb and put petroleum jelly on one of the threads, now when it starts
to warm up, it stinks! i took the bulb out and cleaned it as best i could,
but it still stinks (from the female threads i'm sure). what can i clean
everything with to get rid of the jelly without causing problems?

this easy problem has turned into something stupid. lol

Light Bulbs Ed UK diy 19 November 26th 06 02:43 PM
Price of Light Bulbs Robert Gammon Home Repair 17 April 11th 06 05:42 PM
New Light Bulbs Don't Work Frank B. Home Repair 2 December 6th 05 04:09 AM
Burned Out Light Bulbs [email protected] Home Repair 42 March 4th 05 05:28 AM
Cooler light bulbs? Richard Blackwood UK diy 27 September 10th 04 10:12 PM