Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing carpet pad residue from hardwood floor

I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's
going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone know a
good trick?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 12:39 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's
going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone know a
good trick?

Try a product called "Goof-off".

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My
neighbor's going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad
residue. Anyone know a good trick?

Floor sander?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My
neighbor's going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad
residue. Anyone know a good trick?

Floor sander?
Joseph Meehan

I know 3 people who tried that. Worked for 1, but for the other two, it
turned the pad into hot, sticky goop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's
going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone know
a good trick?

Turpentine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's
going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone know
a good trick?

Turpentine.

How can that be? It's too simple. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's
going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone
know a good trick?

Turpentine.

How can that be? It's too simple. :-)

Try it and report back!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:39:59 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's
going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone know a
good trick?

An erasor ought to do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's
going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone know
good trick?

An erasor ought to do it.

I'm talking about residue that's 1/16 of an inch thick, stuck on. Not
stains. I doubt an erasEr would work on residue that thick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 9:25?pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
Rent an electric floor scraping machine.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's
going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone know
a good trick?- Hide quoted text -

goo gone or goof off should do it fairly easy, use with a scotchbrite
pad or stripping pad which is rougher, unless your planning on
refinishing the floor,, in which caser just sand

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 6:51 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 20, 9:25?pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:

Rent an electric floor scraping machine.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's
going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone know
a good trick?- Hide quoted text -

goo gone or goof off should do it fairly easy, use with a scotchbrite
pad or stripping pad which is rougher, unless your planning on
refinishing the floor,, in which case just sand

Depends on how much area you gotta do.......

small area try solvents...what works will depend on what's there

Is it really pad OR glue from some glue down carpet?

BTW Goof-Off is mostly (if not all) xylene......a gallon of xylene is
a LOT cheaper than the equal amount of Goof-Off.

If solvents don't do the trick.......floor sander (rum or floor
sander)

Are you going to re-finish floor?....if so, sander....forget the
solvents.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 6:51 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 20, 9:25?pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:

Rent an electric floor scraping machine.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

I did this many years ago, but don't remember the solution. My neighbor's
going nuts trying to remove sticky ancient carpet pad residue. Anyone know
a good trick?- Hide quoted text -

goo gone or goof off should do it fairly easy, use with a scotchbrite
pad or stripping pad which is rougher, unless your planning on
refinishing the floor,, in which case just sand

Depends on how much area you gotta do.......

small area try solvents...what works will depend on what's there

Is it really pad OR glue from some glue down carpet?

BTW Goof-Off is mostly (if not all) xylene......a gallon of xylene is
a LOT cheaper than the equal amount of Goof-Off.

If solvents don't do the trick.......floor sander (drum or floor