cat urine under deck

Old February 18th 07, 04:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default cat urine under deck

Anyone have experience removing the strong stench of cat urine from
under a deck?

I've noticed stray cats in our yard the last couple of months and
hadn't thought much of it. They were passing through, no big deal.
Big mistake. Recently, our house started reeking of cat urine. Turns
out we've been having a couple of these cats staying under the deck
and it smells like a litter box. Very bad. Knock you on your ass
bad. They must have ****ed all over the house, marking territory,
because it reeks inside the house too. Back door and front door. And
this is winter with the doors closed up tight! Incredible.

Right now there's snow banks out there but I was hoping I could douse
the area with chemicals because I'm sure the smell is only going to
get worse when Spring hits. Anyone run into a chemical solution that
worked effectively (heard this is one of the worse smells to try to
get rid of).

Old February 18th 07, 06:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I've had great luck getting rid of dead rodent odor using this stuff:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...familyID=15376

I have no idea how well it would work in your situation, but it claims to
work outside.

Good luck.

ups.com...

Old February 18th 07, 08:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 11:57 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

we like this one:at
www.grainger.com
buy the gallons of concentrate
3UR39
Deodorant, Size 1 Gallon, Cherry/Almond, Concentrate 1:64, Enzyme
RAMSEY
KIL-ODER CHERRY/ALMOND 1 Today $26.90 1170

on a concrete surface, the cheapest solution a quart of laundry bleach
in a gallon garden sprayer, fill with water; but there are inhaling
hazards, wind blows it around, and issues with damaging/discoloring
your wood deck; vegetation, pet paws, and work clothes hazards.

Old February 18th 07, 02:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 11:57 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you might consider a cage trap. If these are indeed "stray"
cats, then they can be returned to their owners with a request that
they be confined. (Either the cats or the owners as you prefer )

If these are feral cats, then they should be delivered to the nearest
animal shelter for humane disposal.

It's worked for me.

Old February 18th 07, 02:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

" writes:

Anyone have experience removing the strong stench of cat urine from
under a deck?

I've noticed stray cats in our yard the last couple of months and
hadn't thought much of it.

Get rid of the strays first, then worry about the smell.

I think the smell issue will take care of itself pretty quickly
after the strays are gone.
Old February 18th 07, 03:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
" writes:

Anyone have experience removing the strong stench of cat urine from
under a deck?

I've noticed stray cats in our yard the last couple of months and
hadn't thought much of it.

Get rid of the strays first, then worry about the smell.

If they can't access the area they will go elsewhere. Hardware cloth
may be a good choice.

I think the smell issue will take care of itself pretty quickly
after the strays are gone.

I agree.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old February 18th 07, 03:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Get yourself a good .22 rifle and start dropping the sonsabitches. A Marlin
60 or 10/22 Ruger would be perfect.
Then figure out what to do about the stench.

Old February 18th 07, 04:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Al

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

My thoughts exactly! Aguila makes a round that you'll never hear but in
won't cycle in a semi auto........

Old February 18th 07, 04:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Alright, thanks guys.

I'm going to run out this afternoon and see if I can find one of the
solutions mentioned above. In the meantime, I've boarded up any
crevice or hole that would allow a cat to crawl under. Still have to
figure out what to do about the cats. Yesturday, I was chasing one
through backyards with a shovel. I'm much faster than I thought
because I keapt up pretty well, which was amazing considering I was
wearing big boots and the snow was shin deep. But when all was said
and done it wasn't an effective way to deal with the problem, and an
even worse way to meet the neighbors. As for shooting, I'm not sure
about the local police department's position on discharing firearms in
town. On the plus side, I haven't seen the cats prowling around yet
today so maybe the shovel did the trick after all. Probably not.

Old February 18th 07, 05:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"cavedweller" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 17, 11:57 pm, "
wrote:

(snip)

If these are feral cats, then they should be delivered to the nearest
animal shelter for humane disposal.

It's worked for me.

Killing feral cats is pointless- another one just takes over the territory,
and the supply is basically endless. In this weather, if you can rig up a
freeze-proof hose, and soak it a couple of times, it'll learn not to hang
around.

aem sends...

Panasonic PT-47WX49E and Cat Urine zephyr Electronics Repair 2 September 4th 06 05:20 PM
Cat urine odor ? davej Home Repair 20 May 22nd 06 09:00 PM
Getting rid of cat urine smell.... Jim UK diy 24 January 18th 06 08:56 AM
House Reeks of Cat Urine Nan Home Repair 48 May 18th 04 03:59 AM
Playstation 2 DEAD from cat urine Cunning Linguist Electronics Repair 23 December 20th 03 01:05 AM