Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Decomission fireplace and make space for normal stove??

Has anyone here used the space taken up by a fireplace to use that
space for something else like a stove or some appliance?

It seems to me that there's enough depth to fit an appliance where the
fireplace is now. What I'm not sure about is whether there's enough
horizontal space because there are iron "side-walls" on it. I have no
idea if there would be a brick wall behind all this that might prevent
what I want to do.

Also the fireplace if right behind the living room where there is also
a fireplace so I think they share the same chimney.

The house is an old victorian(100+ yrs). Might it be best to look at
the plans to see what the actual fireplace design is?

Just wondering if anyone has done something like this and was looking
for some insight.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 11:38 am, wrote:
Has anyone here used the space taken up by a fireplace to use that
space for something else like a stove or some appliance?

It seems to me that there's enough depth to fit an appliance where the
fireplace is now. What I'm not sure about is whether there's enough
horizontal space because there are iron "side-walls" on it. I have no
idea if there would be a brick wall behind all this that might prevent
what I want to do.

Also the fireplace if right behind the living room where there is also
a fireplace so I think they share the same chimney.

The house is an old victorian(100+ yrs). Might it be best to look at
the plans to see what the actual fireplace design is?

Just wondering if anyone has done something like this and was looking
for some insight.

Thanks

DAGS on "fireplace insert" and deal with 1.1 x 10^6 hits.