Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hardiplank vs cedar

i need to replace quite a bit of wood trim on my house, it is painted
cedar now. eave trim will be cedar for continuity, but if i replace
an entire window box, should i do it all in cedar or hardiplank? its
cost vs ease of installation, i will do it all myself. it just seems
easier to cut and nail cedar.

any input? i plan to sell in 2 years.....

david
www.dcgphotography.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hardiplank is heavy, and is very difficult to both cut and nail. It
is probably more expensive than cedar too. However, a quality paint
job might last 20 years on hardiplank. If you are selling soon, you
are probably better off with cedar.

JK

On Feb 12, 7:48 am, "charley" wrote:
i need to replace quite a bit of wood trim on my house, it is painted
cedar now. eave trim will be cedar for continuity, but if i replace
an entire window box, should i do it all in cedar or hardiplank? its
cost vs ease of installation, i will do it all myself. it just seems
easier to cut and nail cedar.

any input? i plan to sell in 2 years.....

davidwww.dcgphotography.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

There are many thicknesses of cedar siding. I had thin crap on my previous
house and it was worthless. When comparing pricing make sure you are
looking at a high quality cedar material.

"charley" wrote in message
oups.com...
i need to replace quite a bit of wood trim on my house, it is painted
cedar now. eave trim will be cedar for continuity, but if i replace
an entire window box, should i do it all in cedar or hardiplank? its
cost vs ease of installation, i will do it all myself. it just seems
easier to cut and nail cedar.

any input? i plan to sell in 2 years.....

david
www.dcgphotography.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 8:48 am, "charley" wrote:
i need to replace quite a bit of wood trim on my house, it is painted
cedar now. eave trim will be cedar for continuity, but if i replace
an entire window box, should i do it all in cedar or hardiplank? its
cost vs ease of installation, i will do it all myself. it just seems
easier to cut and nail cedar.

any input? i plan to sell in 2 years.....

davidwww.dcgphotography.com

I've used hardiplank and must say I really didn't too much of it.

And was told by the lads at the lumber yard that it is not as
waterproof as the manufacturer would have you believe.

I would stick to the cedar and remember to prime both sides.

It really does make a difference in how long it last and how long
paint stays on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charley" wrote in
oups.com:

i need to replace quite a bit of wood trim on my house, it is painted
cedar now. eave trim will be cedar for continuity, but if i replace
an entire window box, should i do it all in cedar or hardiplank? its
cost vs ease of installation, i will do it all myself. it just seems
easier to cut and nail cedar.

any input? i plan to sell in 2 years.....

I've put up a ton of Hardiplank. It's easy to handle, cuts nicely, nails
well, and takes paint wonderfully. It won't rot or be eaten by termites
-- it's made out of cement and fiberglass.

They make a special tool, like powered scissors, to cut
Hardiplank/Hardiboard, but you can cut it with a circular saw just as
well. Special blades are available, or you can just turn a regualar wood
blade around backwards. You'll get a lot of dust (it's made out of cement
and fiberglass), but that's a small inconvenience.