Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need location of fridge defrost timer

I have a GE/Hotpoint side by side fridge/freezer, model # GSS22QGPACC,
serial #MF229923. Both the freezer and fridge were a little warm
(25F, 50F respectively) with all the fans working so I checked the
coils and sure enough they were totally frozen over. I've defrosted
the coils and now I want to check that the defrost timer isn't stuck
in the off position. The problem is, I can't find the defrost timer!
I checked under the unit in the back and under the temperature control
panel on the food side, but I didn't see what I was looking for (a
button looking thing with a slot for me to turn it with a flat head
screwdriver).

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Iced up coil usually means you left the freezer door ajar.
You probably jammed too much stuff in and it didn't shut properly.

It actually wasn't that full and the door was shut all the way. As a
point of reference, it was the evap coils (not the condenser coils)
that were iced.

The timer is on the bottom. Look again.

On the bottom where? On the bottom inside the freezer? On the bottom
outside behind the unit? On the bottom in front of the unit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are the condenser coils clean? I usually find these to be the
prime culprit.

The defrost timer should be one of three places:
behind the toe kick where you can see the condenser coils
under the refrig at the back
Up in the top of the refrig section where the light bulb and
control panel are located.

Here is one of the better sites on the internet about appliances:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_4_1.asp#Level1_3

You can get unit specific answers and order parts there. Your
unit shows an electronic circuit board, I wonder if they have
moved the defrost timer to a board.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

wrote in message
ups.com...
Iced up coil usually means you left the freezer door ajar.
You probably jammed too much stuff in and it didn't shut
properly.

It actually wasn't that full and the door was shut all the way.
As a
point of reference, it was the evap coils (not the condenser
coils)
that were iced.

The timer is on the bottom. Look again.

On the bottom where? On the bottom inside the freezer? On the
bottom
outside behind the unit? On the bottom in front of the unit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://fixitnow.com/2004/04/mailbag-...frigerator.htm

This will give you an entertaining and technical journey toward
your problem.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
A live Singing Valentine quartet,
a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU!
(local)
http://www.singingvalentines.com/ (national)

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 3:02 pm, "DanG" wrote:
Are the condenser coils clean? I usually find these to be the prime culprit.

I believe they are, but I'll give them another look.

The defrost timer should be one of three places:
behind the toe kick where you can see the condenser coils
under the refrig at the back
Up in the top of the refrig section where the light bulb and control panel are located.

I looked in all three of those places and didn't see something that
looked like the piuctures I've seen of defrost timers.

Your unit shows an electronic circuit board, I wonder if they have moved the defrost timer to a board.

I was thinking that may be the case. If it is, I'll be forced to call
for service. Thanks for your comments.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, after defrosting the evap coils, the freezer and fridge are back
down to normal temps. I still have been unable to locate the defrost
timer and I was wondering if it's possible it's on the "motherboard"
which is behind a panel on the exterior rear of the unit. Any
thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Turns out the timer was on the motherboard and the problem was a
faulty defrost heating coil. Fortunately for me, GE knows this is a
common problem on this model year fridge and I got the repair done for
free.