Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rotting sill replacement on Caradco windows

I have wenco Caradco windows and have a couple of rotting sills. Is it a big
job to cut out the old sill and replace it with the PVC sills from Lowes or
home depot? Anyone have any words of wisdom for this job?

John W

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John W" wrote in message
I have wenco Caradco windows and have a couple of rotting sills. Is it a
big job to cut out the old sill and replace it with the PVC sills from
Lowes or home depot? Anyone have any words of wisdom for this job?

John W

I have never used the pvc version that you mention. I have used a two piece
version which is made from some composite material. It wasn't fun but it
was doable. I have done it several times now.

Be glad to try an answer any questions you might have.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 19:22:00 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"John W" wrote in message
I have wenco Caradco windows and have a couple of rotting sills. Is it a
big job to cut out the old sill and replace it with the PVC sills from
Lowes or home depot? Anyone have any words of wisdom for this job?

John W

I have never used the pvc version that you mention. I have used a two piece
version which is made from some composite material. It wasn't fun but it
was doable. I have done it several times now.

Be glad to try an answer any questions you might have.

Colbyt

Are Caradco windows as good in quality as they were 25 years or so
ago? I was told then they were as good as Andersen or possibly Pella
but being 25 years or so ago, things might change . At that time,
the advantage to buying them were that they were a lot less in price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 7:02 pm, "John W" wrote:
I have wenco Caradco windows and have a couple of rotting sills. Is it a big
job to cut out the old sill and replace it with the PVC sills from Lowes or
home depot? Anyone have any words of wisdom for this job?

John W

Are they sound enough that you could just cover them
them with flashing? That'll hold up better than PVC,
which degrades under sunlight.

Replacement Windows komobu Home Repair 1 January 4th 07 12:02 AM
Replacement Windows Carl Home Repair 33 June 17th 06 02:10 AM
Replacement windows KTECH Home Repair 2 February 22nd 06 08:56 PM
Replacement windows Fred Home Repair 1 September 26th 05 05:48 PM
Replacement Windows KTECH Home Repair 0 September 26th 05 05:14 PM