Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CPVC valves

I need to revamp some of the plumbing in my basement which, among
other things, involves relocating and replacing some of the valves in
the limes. Problem is that in my opinion CPVC valves are junk. They
either leak or break outright. The ones with the multiple turn round
handle are completely useless. The quarter turn ball valves are
better but I sure don't trust them. I'm thinking of splicing in
copper valves instead but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have
to.
Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"coustanis" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to revamp some of the plumbing in my basement which, among
other things, involves relocating and replacing some of the valves in
the limes. Problem is that in my opinion CPVC valves are junk.

Well, I had the "back up" valve for the outside hose bib in place for (I
estimate) 10 years. It was a "multi-turn" job. That's a pretty good
record.

I have two brass valves that "mate" to copper or plactic with the same kind
of plastic parts and metal washer used in the above. Again, no problem in
over 10 years.

The "valve" part seems to be pretty strong. I just got a few mo one
for the cold outlet for the washing machine and another as "backup" to the
dishwasher. (I wanted a cap while I was remodeling but the salesman
convinced me to just get a 1/2" quarter turn valve.

Of course, if they leak, I replace them. I did replace the main service
valve on the property with 3/4" brass 1/4 turn with all metal compression
fittings.

They
either leak or break outright. The ones with the multiple turn round
handle are completely useless. The quarter turn ball valves are
better but I sure don't trust them. I'm thinking of splicing in
copper valves instead but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have
to.
Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "coustanis" wrote:
I need to revamp some of the plumbing in my basement which, among
other things, involves relocating and replacing some of the valves in
the limes. Problem is that in my opinion CPVC valves are junk. They
either leak or break outright. The ones with the multiple turn round
handle are completely useless. The quarter turn ball valves are
better but I sure don't trust them. I'm thinking of splicing in
copper valves instead but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have
to.
Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

I think it's just you. I've never had that problem. Really.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 5:00�pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com, "coustanis" wrote:

I need to revamp some of the plumbing in my basement which, among
other things, involves relocating and replacing some of the valves in
the limes. *Problem is that in my opinion CPVC valves are junk. *They
either leak or break outright. *The ones with the multiple turn round
handle are completely useless. *The quarter turn ball valves are
better but I sure don't trust them. *I'm thinking of splicing in
copper valves instead but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have
to.
Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

I think it's just you. I've never had that problem. Really.

--
Regards,
* * * * Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

brass copper ball valves are much better, I had plastic ones break at
the worst possible time.

It costs more but worth the cost and effort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use brass ball valves with NPT and male adaptors. Just tighten the
adaptors into the valves before hand with the proper dope, then glue them in
as if they were a plastic valve.

--
Steve Barker

"coustanis" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to revamp some of the plumbing in my basement which, among
other things, involves relocating and replacing some of the valves in
the limes. Problem is that in my opinion CPVC valves are junk. They
either leak or break outright. The ones with the multiple turn round
handle are completely useless. The quarter turn ball valves are
better but I sure don't trust them. I'm thinking of splicing in
copper valves instead but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have
to.
Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 3:30 pm, "Steve Barker" wrote:
I use brass ball valves with NPT and male adaptors. Just tighten the
adaptors into the valves before hand with the proper dope, then glue them in
as if they were a plastic valve.

--
Steve Barker

"coustanis" wrote in message

oups.com...

I need to revamp some of the plumbing in my basement which, among
other things, involves relocating and replacing some of the valves in
the limes. Problem is that in my opinion CPVC valves are junk. They
either leak or break outright. The ones with the multiple turn round
handle are completely useless. The quarter turn ball valves are
better but I sure don't trust them. I'm thinking of splicing in
copper valves instead but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have
to.
Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

Thanks,- Hide quoted text -

Same here. They are not a spendy item in the smaller (1/2 or 3/4)
sizes.

I did use some big plastic ones on an outside line once. Must have not
drained the system well enough because both of them were cracked the
next spring.

Harry K