Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower walls, flexible panels

I just bought a couple of those plastic (acrylic, I think) panels that are
used for gluing over old tile or backerboard to create a new clean look for
a shower.

These panels are 36" by 80" and flexible enough to roll for transport.

I will need to cut these panels to fit to the size of thes shower and
also the holes for the control valve and shower nozzle.

The guy at Home Hardware said they could be cut with a utility knife.
Does anyone have experience with these? Can they be cut this way or do I
need a special tool to do the job ?

Also, the panels will extend over top of the tiles. What's the best
material for shimming that section up?

And one last question. Do I need to prime the tiles? If so, what type of
primer would I use?

Thanks,

Larry
Posted to alt.home.repair

GoHabsGo wrote:
I just bought a couple of those plastic (acrylic, I think) panels
that are used for gluing over old tile or backerboard to create a new
clean look for a shower.

These panels are 36" by 80" and flexible enough to roll for transport.

I will need to cut these panels to fit to the size of thes shower and
also the holes for the control valve and shower nozzle.

The guy at Home Hardware said they could be cut with a utility knife.
Does anyone have experience with these? Can they be cut this way or
do I need a special tool to do the job ?

Also, the panels will extend over top of the tiles. What's the best
material for shimming that section up?

And one last question. Do I need to prime the tiles? If so, what
type of primer would I use?

I'd probably use my large tin snips.

Like
http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/...ps-229070.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:42:45 +0000 (UTC), GoHabsGo
wrote:

I just bought a couple of those plastic (acrylic, I think) panels that are
used for gluing over old tile or backerboard to create a new clean look for
a shower.

These panels are 36" by 80" and flexible enough to roll for transport.

I will need to cut these panels to fit to the size of thes shower and
also the holes for the control valve and shower nozzle.

The guy at Home Hardware said they could be cut with a utility knife.
Does anyone have experience with these? Can they be cut this way or do I
need a special tool to do the job ?

Also, the panels will extend over top of the tiles. What's the best
material for shimming that section up?

And one last question. Do I need to prime the tiles? If so, what type of
primer would I use?

Thanks,

Larry

Whatever you do, dont roughly cut out the holes leaving any sharp
corners, i.e., cut circles instead of squares.

The guy who did my house 11 years ago did a really bad job of cutting
the holes and I now have fatique cracks extending outward, into the
panel, from every sharp corner he left behind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 8:50*am, GoHabsGo wrote:
DT wrote :

In article 3,
says...
I just bought a couple of those plastic (acrylic, I think) panels that
are used for gluing over old tile or backerboard to create a new clean
look for a shower. *

These panels are 36" by 80" and flexible enough to roll for transport.

I will need to cut these panels to fit to the size of the shower and
also the holes for the control valve and shower nozzle. *

The guy at Home Hardware said they could be cut with a utility knife.
Does anyone have experience with these? *Can they be cut this way or
do I need a special tool to do the job ?

I've put up several of the tub surrounds that use these thin panels.
They cut OK with a knife, but they are very slippery and a knife can
skid and mark the surface, especially when making tight curved cuts. I
use a hole saw or even a spade bit for the faucet holes, both methods
work much better. Use a straight edge for the long cuts, and keep the
waste to the knife side of the straight edge in case you slip.

THanks for the clear instructions, Dennis. *When cutting with the knife,
is the material soft enough to cut with one pass of the knife or does it
take two or more passes? *

Thanks,

Larry- Hide quoted text -

I have also used that type of panel, usually a couple of passes are
necessary to cut all the way thru. Us whatever glue the manufacturer
recommends. Along the top I would use a paintable silicone based
caulk, the more silicone the better. A lot depeds on how you are
going to finish off the transition from plastic to whater is higher up
on the wall over the itle.