Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question About Renting Propane Tanks

Have you ever rented propane tanks in the 30 to 60 lb size range? If
so, what type of business provided this service? I need the propane
for a project, but once the project is finished, I won't need the
tank. That's why I would rather rent than buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Have you ever rented propane tanks in the 30 to 60 lb size range? If
so, what type of business provided this service? I need the propane
for a project, but once the project is finished, I won't need the
tank. That's why I would rather rent than buy.

Look in the yellow pages under "propane"

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I spend my summer weekends in Youngstown, NY, I rented my tank
from the propane dealer in Sanborn and I seem to recall 100 lbs. was
their smallest size. I think you'll have to call around and see if
there is a local dealer who can help you out.

Good luck!
Paul

On 31 Jan 2007 14:37:04 -0800, wrote:

Have you ever rented propane tanks in the 30 to 60 lb size range? If
so, what type of business provided this service? I need the propane
for a project, but once the project is finished, I won't need the
tank. That's why I would rather rent than buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Check a place that rents forklifts. I can rent a propane tank (full) from
one near me, but I pay for the full tank whether I use it all or not. Also,
Home Depot, Lowes, etc, rent the regular 20lb tanks for gas grills. A
couple of those might suit your needs.

Keith

"Paul M. Eldridge" wrote in message
When I spend my summer weekends in Youngstown, NY, I rented my tank
from the propane dealer in Sanborn and I seem to recall 100 lbs. was
their smallest size. I think you'll have to call around and see if
there is a local dealer who can help you out.

Good luck!
Paul

On 31 Jan 2007 14:37:04 -0800, wrote:

Have you ever rented propane tanks in the 30 to 60 lb size range? If
so, what type of business provided this service? I need the propane
for a project, but once the project is finished, I won't need the
tank. That's why I would rather rent than buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"k" wrote in message
. net...
. Also, Home Depot, Lowes, etc, rent the regular 20lb tanks for gas
grills. A couple of those might suit your needs.

The way that works is, you buy a new tank, then give it to them and they
give you a used tank full of propane for more than what it would cost you
to take it to a propane supplier and have it filled. There's a rumor that
these tanks aren't filled to capacity, either. It's all a convenience
thing.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There's a rumor that
these tanks aren't filled to capacity, either. It's all a convenience
thing.

Tom G.

Yes and No,

The "grill" tank was originally spec'd as a 5 gal or 20 lb
tank. (propane 1 gal=4.24 lb) But the new rules reguire an
O(verfill) P(rotection) D(evice) valve, that is basically a
float valve that creates a vapor expansion "cushion" at the
top of the tank. A tank completely filled with liguid has
no place to expand when heated (even sunlight) except by
valve or tank failure. A sudden 20 lb propane release is
not a good thing.

So, it's really a safety issue that tanks aren't completely
"filled" with liquid. A properly filled tank will be about
4.5 gal or 19lb. ("empty" tank is about 18lb or 37lb filled)

Several years ago in Garland, Tx. two filled 100 lb tanks
laying in the bed of a pickup truck in the Texas summer sun
exploded. The tanks not being upright was thought to
contribute to the tank failures.

-larry / dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article %Edwh.6291$yB5.6034@trndny03,
"Tom G" wrote:

The way that works is, you buy a new tank, then give it to them

I respectfully disagree.

The way it worked for me, patronizing the Rhino brand of propane exchange
service at Lowes and a nearby farm supply store, went thusly:

Not willing to part with any of my OWN tanks, I purchased an already-filled
tank. Then, when it was empty, I returned it to a Rhino dealer and exchanged
it for a "full" tank. I have since purchased another Rhino exchange tank so
that I'll always have a full one available.

they give you a used tank full of propane for more than what it
would cost you to take it to a propane supplier and have it filled.

Again, I disagree.

The reasons I first tried the tank exchange we 1) Convenience; and 2)
Economy. The exchange price was 2-3 dollars LESS than what it cost me to
refill my own tank at the local hardware store.

There's a rumor that these tanks aren't filled to capacity, either.

It's just that: A rumor.

The tare (empty) weight is stamped (by law) on all propane cylinders. Placing
a newly-refilled tank on your bathroom scale and doing some simple subtraction
will reveal how much gas you are paying for.

It's all a convenience thing.

True. Being proud of my two, 20-lb and two, 30-lb (RV) tanks, I resisted
trying the exchange thing for a long time. Now, having done it several times,
I am convinced of its VALUE, not to mention convenience. I am even
considering retiring my pair of 30-lb RV cylinders and using strictly exchange
20-pounders. Doing so would be cheaper and MUCH more convenient than having
my tanks refilled.
--

JR

No project too small
All projects too big
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well I can tell you one thing, filling is a lot cheaper if you go to the
right place. At least in my area. They get $21 to exchange the 20's and I
only pay $14.50 to refill the 30's

--
Steve Barker

"Tom G" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where do you store your propane tanks? I read that in order to store
them safely, they must be kept outdoors. I really don't want to look
at the tank year 'round when I only really need it half of the year.
That's why I am researching tank rental.

I had also read that best pricing came from refills vs the exchange
program. The exchange program does offer convenience, as there are
multiple outlets near me that offer filled propane tanks for exchange.
The few refill places in my area are about 20 to 30 minutes away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Where do you store your propane tanks? I read that in order to store
them safely, they must be kept outdoors. I really don't want to look
at the tank year 'round when I only really need it half of the year.
That's why I am researching tank rental.

I had also read that best pricing came from refills vs the exchange
program. The exchange program does offer convenience, as there are
multiple outlets near me that offer filled propane tanks for exchange.
The few refill places in my area are about 20 to 30 minutes away.

You don't have to store them out in the open. You can store them in a
garden shed with some vent screens installed down at floor level since
LP is heavier than air. In the event of a leak the vents will allow it
to flow out and dissipate instead of filling the shed.

Where the best pricing is depends on a lot of things, particularly your
usage rate. If you use a tank full per year, it's pretty irrelevant if
the exchange gas is $2 more than a fill. If you use a lot (like
construction heaters) then the cost per fill will make a difference.

Another thing to remember is that with exchange you never have to deal
with the cost or replacing the cylinder or having it hydro tested. The
20# LP cylinders are worth so little that they are rarely hydro tested
and are normally just replaced, so figure another $30 cylinder every 10
or 15 years. For larger cylinders this cost is more significant and
hydro testing may be more economical than replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I worked the system

Picked up 5 or 6 tanks, of the old variety, without all the safety
gizmos. one a guy gave me at a flea maRKET FREE, HE WAS PACKING UP AND
DIDNT WANT TO TAKE IT HOME

anyhow took them all to a gas station who exchanged the old tanks for
nicely repainted updated ones. I have 6 tanks now and all I paid was
exchange price

I take those into to refill, 14 dollars compared to 20 exchange

exchanged tanks dont smewll like propane coming home, but its not
worth 6 bucks extra//

I refill tanks usually once a year

store tanks in my shed, have ventilation

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow, I can't believe they didn't charge you for the new valve. They really
watch for that around here.

--
Steve Barker

oups.com...