Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-Using Caulking Tubes

As Well As Construction Adhesives, Etc...

Forget About Taping The End Or Using Any Tip That Might Come With The
Tube, Also Don't Use A Nail In The End Trick Either, Using ANY Of These
Methods Are Almost SURE To Result In A Clogged Caulking Tube Tip....

...Instead, After You Are Done, Squirt Out A Blob Of Caulking/Glue &
Cover The TIP Of The Tube With This Blob & Let Dry. Next Time You Want
To Use The Tube, Just Pull Off The Hardened Blob On The Tip & You Can
Re-Use The Tube Like You Hoped To. -ßøþ

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 9:44 pm, (spaceman) wrote:
As Well As Construction Adhesives, Etc...

Forget About Taping The End Or Using Any Tip That Might Come With The
Tube, Also Don't Use A Nail In The End Trick Either, Using ANY Of These
Methods Are Almost SURE To Result In A Clogged Caulking Tube Tip....

..Instead, After You Are Done, Squirt Out A Blob Of Caulking/Glue &
Cover The TIP Of The Tube With This Blob & Let Dry. Next Time You Want
To Use The Tube, Just Pull Off The Hardened Blob On The Tip & You Can
Re-Use The Tube Like You Hoped To. -ßøþ

I agree.

I've been doing that for years and it works like a charm.

Also for silicone which seems to harden in the tip no matter what you
do I've found sending a drill bit through the harden stuff into the
the usable stuff unplugs it quite nicely.

Your drill bit will be covered with silicone afterwards but drilling a
hole into wood removes it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The other quick and dirty method is to slit the nozzle in two , remove
the plug and then take a few wraps of electrical tape around the
nozzle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LayPerson Tom" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:06:29 GMT, "New & Improved - N/F John"
wrote:

How about wrapping the tip of the tube with masking tape in manner that
permits caulk to escape? Then pump some out and squeeze the tape
together.
No mess.

Understand, but so far the cheap caps seem to work best for me with
basic caulk.

[snip]

I screw in a red (large size) wire nut from my box of electrical supplies.
The caulk in the spout stays flexible until the entire tube fails a few
months after opening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How about wrapping the tip of the tube with masking tape in manner that
permits caulk to escape? Then pump some out and squeeze the tape
together.
No mess.

Understand, but so far the cheap caps seem to work best for me with
basic caulk.

[snip]

I screw in a red (large size) wire nut from my box of electrical supplies.
The caulk in the spout stays flexible until the entire tube fails a few
months after opening.

Wind several layers of plastic wrap around the
spout and put a rubber band on to hold it, then
use several layers of plastic wrap held with a
rubber band on the rear end of the tube and it
won't fail in a couple of months. Standard house
caulks last 2-3 years with several intervening
uses during that period.

caulking question cj Home Repair 2 June 29th 06 06:39 PM
caulking Patt Home Repair 4 June 29th 06 06:07 PM
Caulking... Jon Home Repair 3 February 7th 06 02:44 PM
Caulking windows Richard and Tracy Lambour Home Repair 4 October 15th 05 02:16 PM
Help! I screwed up while caulking! MAG Home Repair 4 August 9th 04 03:28 PM