Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet - Round two pieces vs one piece toilet

I'm thinking to replace my standard round two pieces toilet in the
guest bathroom with one piece Briggs elongated toilet.

I don't know anything about this so please bear with me. The spare
bathroom is tiny. When the tile man removed the toilet to install the
tiles, there was a big nasty hole there. I'd like to know if the new
one piece would fit right in that hole.

How do I know for sure it will fit? Do I need to measure from the
center of the hole to the wall (yuck!)? Just don't want to carry that
thing home and it doesn't fit.

Thanks for all your input.
April

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 11:07 pm, "Arpil" wrote:
I'm thinking to replace my standard round two pieces toilet in the
guest bathroom with one piece Briggs elongated toilet.

I don't know anything about this so please bear with me. The spare
bathroom is tiny. When the tile man removed the toilet to install the
tiles, there was a big nasty hole there. I'd like to know if the new
one piece would fit right in that hole.

How do I know for sure it will fit? Do I need to measure from the
center of the hole to the wall (yuck!)? Just don't want to carry that
thing home and it doesn't fit.

Thanks for all your input.
April

You need the measurement from the center of the pipe to the wall.

if its easier to measure , get from the pipe edge to the wall, and the
pipe diameter (although the are a standard size.

I hope if the old toilet is removed that you have a temporary cap on
that sewer line. even platic wrap from the kitchen is better than
nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Arpil wrote:
I'm thinking to replace my standard round two pieces toilet in the
guest bathroom with one piece Briggs elongated toilet.

I don't know anything about this so please bear with me. The spare
bathroom is tiny. When the tile man removed the toilet to install the
tiles, there was a big nasty hole there. I'd like to know if the new
one piece would fit right in that hole.

How do I know for sure it will fit? Do I need to measure from the
center of the hole to the wall (yuck!)? Just don't want to carry that
thing home and it doesn't fit.

Thanks for all your input.
April

You measure from the center of the flange (hole) to the surface of the
wall. It's probably 12 inches. There are also 10" rough-in toilets (I
think that's the measure) if a standard 12" won't fit. Last time I was
looking at flanges at HD, I think I saw some offset flanges that would add
2 inches to the rough-in distance.

BTW, you need to cover the hole with a margarine tub lid or something --
keep sewer gas out of your house, and keep things from falling down the hole.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 24 Jan 2007 21:07:49 -0800, "Arpil" wrote:

I'm thinking to replace my standard round two pieces toilet in the
guest bathroom with one piece Briggs elongated toilet.

I don't know anything about this so please bear with me. The spare
bathroom is tiny. When the tile man removed the toilet to install the
tiles, there was a big nasty hole there. I'd like to know if the new
one piece would fit right in that hole.

How do I know for sure it will fit? Do I need to measure from the
center of the hole to the wall (yuck!)? Just don't want to carry that
thing home and it doesn't fit.

Thanks for all your input.
April

Yes, cover the hole.

Not only does it smell bad, it can be explosive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 11:07 pm, "Arpil" wrote:
I'm thinking to replace my standard round two pieces toilet in the
guest bathroom with one piece Briggs elongated toilet.

Have you ever tried to replace the entire flapper assembly in a one
piece toilet?
Also, they are normally low rise, taking away a little gravity from the
flush. I view them as one "piece" of crap

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:

On Jan 24, 11:07 pm, "Arpil" wrote:
I'm thinking to replace my standard round two pieces toilet in the
guest bathroom with one piece Briggs elongated toilet.

Have you ever tried to replace the entire flapper assembly in a one
piece toilet?
Also, they are normally low rise, taking away a little gravity from the
flush. I view them as one "piece" of crap

I put in a 1-piece toilet about 3 or 4 years ago. I've had no problems
with it at all, and it flushes much better than my old toilet. It
hasn't needed a new flapper yet. I imagine replacing the overflow tube
and flapper seat would be an interesting chore (where do you access the
nut?) I did replace the pilot-operated fill valve with an old-fashioned
brass ballcock after the plastic fill valve water-hammered itself to
death after just a few months.

I'm remodeling the bathroom now, and I will have to pull the toilet up
to tile behind it, then again a couple of days later to grout. :-( If
it was a conventional toilet I could just remove the tank for each of
these steps.

One-piece are also a lot heavier and cumbersome to move. They are fine
when they are bolted down, and they are easier to clean than a 2-piece.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the room is already 'tiny' be careful with the elongated toilet. They do
stick into the room farther than a standard round model, so be sure that
things like doors open (both the door to the room and to cabinets and linen
closets). If they are already close to the bowl when you open them, they
are likely not to clear the elongated bowl. Also keep in mind that toilet
seats are somewhat more expensive for these, and if the wife likes to put
one of those fuzzy seat covers on the lid, these too are hard to find for
elongated seats.

"Arpil" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm thinking to replace my standard round two pieces toilet in the
guest bathroom with one piece Briggs elongated toilet.

I don't know anything about this so please bear with me. The spare
bathroom is tiny. When the tile man removed the toilet to install the
tiles, there was a big nasty hole there. I'd like to know if the new
one piece would fit right in that hole.

How do I know for sure it will fit? Do I need to measure from the
center of the hole to the wall (yuck!)? Just don't want to carry that
thing home and it doesn't fit.

Thanks for all your input.
April

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

But -- keep in mind some of the "round" toilets are only suitable for women
to use. They are so small that parts of the male anatomy will contact the
porcelain or the water level if it is high. Very uncomfortable and
unsanitary.

"mwlogs" wrote in message
If the room is already 'tiny' be careful with the elongated toilet. They
do stick into the room farther than a standard round model, so be sure
that things like doors open (both the door to the room and to cabinets and
linen closets). If they are already close to the bowl when you open them,
they are likely not to clear the elongated bowl. Also keep in mind that
toilet seats are somewhat more expensive for these, and if the wife likes
to put one of those fuzzy seat covers on the lid, these too are hard to
find for elongated seats.

"Arpil" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm thinking to replace my standard round two pieces toilet in the
guest bathroom with one piece Briggs elongated toilet.

I don't know anything about this so please bear with me. The spare
bathroom is tiny. When the tile man removed the toilet to install the
tiles, there was a big nasty hole there. I'd like to know if the new
one piece would fit right in that hole.

How do I know for sure it will fit? Do I need to measure from the
center of the hole to the wall (yuck!)? Just don't want to carry that
thing home and it doesn't fit.

Thanks for all your input.
April

Fill Valve for Kohler One-Piece Toilet? Paul Jones Home Repair 0 January 9th 06 06:15 AM
Toilet questions- 1 piece versus 2 piece toilets KOS Home Ownership 1 September 29th 05 04:25 PM
2 piece toilet pan DIY Novice UK diy 1 December 9th 04 12:19 PM
Toilet brands (toilet question followup) Steven O. Home Ownership 5 March 24th 04 07:40 PM