Posted to alt.home.repair

Default delta shower fixture leaking - naval jelly too strong?

I have replaced the inner ball & rubber inserts & springs in my 40+ year old Delta shower several
times in the past year. The changing outs only results in a week or so of the leaking stopping.

In looking inside the fixture with the ball out I see that the copper inside has turned green. Would
any particular brand of Naval Jelly be too strong to use? What would you recommend, assuming that
removing the corrosion inside there would help make a better seal between the fixture & the rubber &
the ball.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I have replaced the inner ball & rubber inserts & springs in my 40+ year
old Delta shower several
times in the past year. The changing outs only results in a week or so of
the leaking stopping.

In looking inside the fixture with the ball out I see that the copper
inside has turned green. Would
any particular brand of Naval Jelly be too strong to use? What would you
recommend, assuming that
removing the corrosion inside there would help make a better seal between
the fixture & the rubber &
the ball.

Try something else first: Drop the entire shower head into a bucket of
vinegar that's no hotter than the hottest water from your tap. Soak it for
an hour, then scrub the encrusted areas with a toothbrush. For spots too
small for the toothbrush to reach, pick up a couple of non-metallic Dremel
brushes. You don't necessarily have to own a Dremel tool to use the
attachments in this way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Joe has the right idea. I have had to soak some overnight because the
crust was so thick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, I doubt the copper corrosion is building up, and I'm not sure
that Naval Jelly works on copper; if there is a leak problem with the
copper corrosion, it's more likely because the copper is being eaten
away. More likely calcium buildup, and that dissoves in medium strength
acid, and that means cheap vinegar.

Nice idea re the Dremel tools, btw. Never thought of that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"z" wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Yeah....they make brushes in so many shapes and materials - they're
terrific. Got the idea from my dentist, actually, who can talk about tools
for hours on end.

Opinion about Naval Jelly for rust removal BE Home Repair 2 April 20th 06 10:04 PM
Leaking Shower Hugh UK diy 2 July 31st 05 11:34 AM
Leaking shower DrewM UK diy 8 December 16th 03 07:54 AM