Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Black and Decker electric leaf/yard air blower stopped

I have an approximately 10 year old hand-held electric leaf/yard blower that has seen a fair amount of use. Today as I was finishing up blowing the crick-crack and twiglets off my driveway, the motor sputtered and stopped after about 5 seconds. I shook the machine and it started up again fitfully, never getting up to full speed. Depending upon the position I held it in, it would run fitfully or not at all. Banging on the case produced more fitful operation.

I am suspecting the brushes on the motor are worn out, but haven't been able to get the unit opened yet. There are about 11 screws holding the two halves of the case together. About 8 of the screws are deeply set into the case, and of course they are filled with 10+ years of accumulated dirt and debris. I have been using a giant needle to clean out the dirt and debris so I can use an allen wrench to remove the screws and see what gives. Hopefully just brush replacement will be needed.

My question here is: Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and what did they find and how did they fix their machine?

Polite responses appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 8:20:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

If you would post the model number, perhaps I could look it up and find a picture and line drawings. From there, find some repair information on it.
ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Model Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 18:20:46 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Because of the nature of the device (one that operates in a very dusty
environment) over time, it could suck in enough very fine dust, debris
and grit so as to bind up bushings, etc.

If you have an air compressor, try blowing out the motor, with high
pressure air, and see what happens.

I once made a blower for diatomaceous earth out of an old shopvac,
after a while the very fine grit destroyed the motor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I looked for a model number, but the only marking appears to be FT 1000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If it is like mine there is a door on the bottom where you connect the
vacuum chute. There is a switch on that door. Make sure it is closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Being a black and decker, your guess is as good as mine. My hedge
trimmer went flakey - ends up the switch is shot. Thankfully available
from my local repair depot for about $9. Online it is from 7 to 17
with $11 to $21 shipping.
Quite often B&D stuff isn't worth fixing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My model is blow only, so no switch except for the master of/on. I am pretty sure it is not the switch as nothing changed about the fitfull operation when I jiggled the switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2017 9:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

Lots of possible reasons for your problem. Easiest to diagnose requires
no screw removal. Perhaps you've developed an intermittent open in one
of the wires, inside the insulation where the power cord penetrates the
case. Try connecting a reliable source of power, turning on the leaf
blower's switch, and systematically pull the cord in each of the 12
directions as if the penetration into the case were the face of a clock.
Each time, pull the cord until the outside of the cord touches the
case, then while holding it in that location, try to push the cord as if
you were trying to feed it into the penetration. If any of these
maneuvers cause the blower motor to start, stop, or sputter, you've
probably got an intermittent open wire within an inch or so of where the
power cord penetrates the case. The solution is to get the case open
and either shorten or entirely replace the power cord to remove the
offending section of power cord. If the maneuvers don't affect the
behavior of the blower motor, the problem is likely to be something
else. Good luck!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 6:20:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I have an approximately 10 year old hand-held electric leaf/yard blower..

Dear friend, I'm a lifelong dumpster diver and have seen so many weed whackers and blowers in the dumpsters. The ones I tried to fix, it happened, there was nothing wrong with the switches or wires. the motors were shot. I didn't get into trying to fix the motors or brushes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got the blower housing apart. Then I removed the two screws that held the ends on the actual motor. Took the armature out of the brush end plate and looked to see how the two brushes looked. Could only find one spring-loaded brush, the other one was totally gone, just a little black-colored dust in the brush holder.

Took off to ACE Hardware and found they had several boxes of assorted brushes, separate and with integral springs, all for $4.40 no matter what size, shape of spring, etc.

Found one brush that fit perfectly and brought it home. I had lots of other chores and fun things to do today, so first thing tomorrow I get to put the brush in and hopefully before noon I will be blowing debris off my driveway and will post here what happens.