Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sticky Garden Hose

I've had some of my garden hoses get sticky to the touch after they've been
out in the sun for a summer or more. They get really sticky...like they
have tree sap on them, the entire length of the hose. Bummer having to
keep replacing 50 and 100 foot hoses. The hoses in the backyard, in the
shade, last forever.

It doesn't seem to matter what type of hose, vinyl or rubber coated, they
all get sticky after a year or so ex[posed to the sun.

What is going on, and any suggestins as to what type of hose to use to
avoid this? I have to have the hoses in the sun,

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris wrote in
09.88:

I've had some of my garden hoses get sticky to the touch after they've
been out in the sun for a summer or more. They get really
sticky...like they have tree sap on them, the entire length of the
hose. Bummer having to keep replacing 50 and 100 foot hoses. The
hoses in the backyard, in the shade, last forever.

It doesn't seem to matter what type of hose, vinyl or rubber coated,
they all get sticky after a year or so ex[posed to the sun.

What is going on, and any suggestins as to what type of hose to use to
avoid this? I have to have the hoses in the sun,

TIA

Googling tells me the stickiness is the vinyl breaking down.

I spoke too soon about rubber hoses also getting sticky...after reading
that rubber shouldn't get sticky, I re-examined what I thought was a rubber
hose of mine, and it turns out it was black vinyl, and was getting sticky.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 00:12:10 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

Boris wrote in
. 209.88:

[...]

I stopped buying the inexpensive hoses and only buy rubber garden
hoses made by Goodyear / Continental. They are not cheap, but they
last seemingly forever. The one I use for the horses is at least 25
years old and still going strong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2017 8:12 PM, Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

More likely what you are seeing is the plasticizer in the vinyl bleeding
out. Without plasticizer vinyl is pretty stiff as like PVC pipe and you
will find it used to soften the PVC in seat covers, shower curtains,
hoses and the like.

Plenty of websites to explain use and what they are chemically:

http://www.plasticisers.org/where-is-pvc-used/

Hopefully enough will remain so the hose does not stiffen and possibly
break.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2017 8:12 PM, Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

[...]

The solution, you now know, is to buy a rubber hose next time.

Splurge and get a Eley Rapid Reel for it and it will last about forever.
I've had mine for about 6 years now and it makes life easier.
https://www.eleyhosereels.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/01/2017 06:12 PM, Boris wrote:
I spoke too soon about rubber hoses also getting sticky...after reading
that rubber shouldn't get sticky, I re-examined what I thought was a rubber
hose of mine, and it turns out it was black vinyl, and was getting sticky.

I don't think they're vinyl but I've had the same problem with
motorcycle and bicycle handlebar grips. Once you wear through the skin
they material turns into a sticky mess. Some do, some don't and I've
never figured out the whys and wherefores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 00:31:36 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 00:12:10 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

Boris wrote in
.209.88:

[...]

Yup good hoses are worth the money
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

wrote:

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 00:12:10 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

Boris wrote in
9.209.88:

[...]

Yes, they are. And I don't mind spending the money. You get what you
pay for, and you don't get what you don't pay for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin' Norman wrote in
:

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 00:12:10 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

Boris wrote in
.209.88:

[...]

Such as:

http://tinyurl.com/ycc9ox24 Parker

http://tinyurl.com/y86z4xgb Craftsman

http://tinyurl.com/y8qvhroq Continental

http://tinyurl.com/ya6aj4ew Continental

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 01:47:08 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

Stormin' Norman wrote in
:

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 00:12:10 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

Boris wrote in
9.209.88:

[...]

Not sure if you are asking a question. I buy 3/4" x 100ft goodyear
rubber hoses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 7:02:40 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
I've had some of my garden hoses get sticky to the touch after they've been
out in the sun for a summer or more. They get really sticky...like they
have tree sap on them, the entire length of the hose. Bummer having to
keep replacing 50 and 100 foot hoses. The hoses in the backyard, in the
shade, last forever.

It doesn't seem to matter what type of hose, vinyl or rubber coated, they
all get sticky after a year or so ex[posed to the sun.

What is going on, and any suggestins as to what type of hose to use to
avoid this? I have to have the hoses in the sun,

TIA

Purchase a stainless steel hose. Just be sure to roll it up when a thunderstorm is coming because it would lead lightning right to your home. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07219YQMK

[8~{} Uncle Stainless Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2017 4:40 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Purchase a stainless steel hose. Just be sure to roll it up when a thunderstorm is coming because it would lead lightning right to your home. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07219YQMK

[8~{} Uncle Stainless Monster

Never saw that before. Certainly looks interesting though. If I was
looking for a new hose, I'd give it a try. Right now, my 100' rubber
hose is still in good shape after 4 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 09:32:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/2/2017 4:40 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Purchase a stainless steel hose. Just be sure to roll it up when a thunderstorm is coming because it would lead lightning right to your home. ?(?)?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07219YQMK

[8~{} Uncle Stainless Monster

Never saw that before. Certainly looks interesting though. If I was
looking for a new hose, I'd give it a try. Right now, my 100' rubber
hose is still in good shape after 4 years.

I have a craftsman green rubber hose that I have had since 1984 and it
wasn't new then. It was here when I bought the house. I have replaced
the ends but the hose is still good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2017 9:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/2/2017 4:40 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Purchase a stainless steel hose. Just be sure to roll it up when a
thunderstorm is coming because it would lead lightning right to your
home. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07219YQMK

[8~{} Uncle Stainless Monster

Never saw that before. Certainly looks interesting though. If I was
looking for a new hose, I'd give it a try. Right now, my 100' rubber
hose is still in good shape after 4 years.

I've seen the TV ads. They are a little slim and I'd like to see how
they hold up after over 5 years.

I've got a hose running over my drive and neighbors to his house right
now to help him until his well gets repaired. Looks like good rubber
and holds up with us driving over it.

I had one of those old rubber Sears hoses I got cheap as it was cobbled
together from someone that worked there and had to join some ends. It
lasted decades just sitting outside. I did not try to take advantage of
their lifetime warranty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/01/2017 07:31 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

[snip]

I stopped buying the inexpensive hoses and only buy rubber garden
hoses made by Goodyear / Continental. They are not cheap, but they
last seemingly forever. The one I use for the horses is at least 25
years old and still going strong.

I like rubber hoses too, but they are heavy and not as easily moved.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Bad command or file name! Go stand in the corner."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 11:59:28 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 08/01/2017 07:31 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

[snip]

I stopped buying the inexpensive hoses and only buy rubber garden
hoses made by Goodyear / Continental. They are not cheap, but they
last seemingly forever. The one I use for the horses is at least 25
years old and still going strong.

I like rubber hoses too, but they are heavy and not as easily moved.

I find they last forever and have much less tendency to kink and, they
don't damage easily if one of the draft horses steps on them or if a
vehicle runs over them.

However, one of the bored goats did chew a hole in one once. I cut it
apart, used a piece of copper pipe and hose clamps to splice it
together and it is still in service ten years later.

I also use old steel wheels as hose reels. I paint them, then lag
them to structures or to 4x4 posts and they are perfect for the job.