Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More ground rod ?

I'm working on/live in a mobile home,the ground rod is underneath
where no rain hits,,it is about 4' from the skirting..Moisture will
obviously help a rod to ground properly..My ? is will the moisture
"soak over" far enuff to reach the rod or should I add one just outside
the line of skirting? I'm of a mind that adding one ca'nt hurt if I
avoid the buried lines phone, propane ,water and sewer..
Before I moved the home here(1 1/2 yers ago) the empty spot
recieved some rain for a few months or so,,how much rain I do'nt know..
Should an added rod be wired directly to My new 100amp breaker box
ground bar or to the frame like the existing rod? The Electrician that
helps out here is a young Fella but has more expierience than I do with
wiring,just want some opinions before I ask Him about it..Thanks.
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean wrote:
I'm working on/live in a mobile home,the ground rod is underneath
where no rain hits,,it is about 4' from the skirting..Moisture will
obviously help a rod to ground properly..My ? is will the moisture
"soak over" far enuff to reach the rod or should I add one just outside
the line of skirting? I'm of a mind that adding one ca'nt hurt if I
avoid the buried lines phone, propane ,water and sewer..
Before I moved the home here(1 1/2 yers ago) the empty spot
recieved some rain for a few months or so,,how much rain I do'nt know..
Should an added rod be wired directly to My new 100amp breaker box
ground bar or to the frame like the existing rod? The Electrician that
helps out here is a young Fella but has more expierience than I do with
wiring,just want some opinions before I ask Him about it..Thanks.
Dean

I believe that a second rod is meant to be connected to the first rod
rather than the breaker box ground.

I would think that the moisture in the ground at depth would be fairly
even.

If you had a new box installed the electrician should have ensured that
your grounding was up to code.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean wrote:
I'm working on/live in a mobile home,the ground rod is underneath
where no rain hits,,it is about 4' from the skirting..Moisture will
obviously help a rod to ground properly..My ? is will the moisture
"soak over" far enuff to reach the rod or should I add one just
outside the line of skirting? I'm of a mind that adding one ca'nt
hurt if I avoid the buried lines phone, propane ,water and sewer..
Before I moved the home here(1 1/2 yers ago) the empty spot
recieved some rain for a few months or so,,how much rain I do'nt
know.. Should an added rod be wired directly to My new 100amp
breaker box ground bar or to the frame like the existing rod? The
Electrician that helps out here is a young Fella but has more
expierience than I do with wiring,just want some opinions before I
ask Him about it..Thanks. Dean

Don't worry. If the existing ground meets code, it will be fine. Dig
down two feet and compare. Chances are the area around the ground will be
just as damp as anywhere else nearby.

The real trick is to meet the code. The code is designed to avoid
problems.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

That made perfect sense at the other location,,it now sits on and is
tied down to concrete piers with anchor bolts to chains to the frame
I-Beams..I was told this meets code..Little grounding opportunity
there..
I'm going to think on it till Spring..Thanks to All..
Dean

wrote:
The frame of your mobile home should be bonded and they usually have 8
or more tie down anchors buried in the dirt. That is not your NEC
required ground electrode but it is still doing a lot of grounding.
You never hurt yourself by driving another rod.. You only have to
connect it to your existing rod. The farther away it is the better but
it should be 6 feet minimum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe,

I have seen you answer a lot of questions here and always thought that
your answers were good advise. However to say that the electrical code
is there "to avoid problems" is not true. The code is for safety first
and foremost but you knew that.
JP Golan
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Dean wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

JGolan wrote:
Joe,

I have seen you answer a lot of questions here and always thought that
your answers were good advise. However to say that the electrical code
is there "to avoid problems" is not true. The code is for safety first
and foremost but you knew that.
JP Golan

Sorry, you are right. I should have indicated "safety problems" While
following the code will eliminate a number of possible functional problems,
it is not written to take care of them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

ground rod question Ook Home Repair 13 January 1st 07 12:25 PM
ground rod drivers [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 17th 06 11:48 PM
electrical ground rod A & P D Home Repair 7 August 20th 06 09:03 PM
Ground Rod For House ? Robert11 Home Repair 28 January 3rd 06 11:25 PM
Sub panel gets its own ground rod? the_tool_man Home Repair 18 January 15th 05 08:13 AM