Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing a light switch

I am trying to replace a light switch and have removed the old switch
and am having troubles deciding where the 4 wires go on the back of the
new switch.I have 2 red & 2 black The back of the switch has 4 holes.
One at the top has a plastic cross over it & I suppose that means I
don't use it To the right it says common to the left it says loop & the
last on on the bottom in the middle is unmarked.
The existing wires seem to want to go as follows; 2 black are together
& want to be on the left (loop) I think.
I guess the 2 reds are the switch wires.Am I correct in thinking 1 goes
to common & the other to the unmarked bottom

Thanks
Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian wrote:
I am trying to replace a light switch and have removed the old switch
and am having troubles deciding where the 4 wires go on the back of the
new switch.I have 2 red & 2 black The back of the switch has 4 holes.
One at the top has a plastic cross over it & I suppose that means I
don't use it To the right it says common to the left it says loop & the
last on on the bottom in the middle is unmarked.
The existing wires seem to want to go as follows; 2 black are together
& want to be on the left (loop) I think.
I guess the 2 reds are the switch wires.Am I correct in thinking 1 goes
to common & the other to the unmarked bottom

Thanks
Brian

Is this a 4-way light switch? (that is, is it one of more than two
switches that control the same light?) I'm guessing yes, from your
description. It also sounds like you've purchased a 3-way as a
replacement; that won't work.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Brian wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the responses to my query.
It is only a single switch (only runs 1 light.
The switch I purchased is a common architrave type switch by Clipsal

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Brian wrote:
[...]

You have too many wires for a normal single light switch and the wire
colors are odd.

Note: this is in Australia ....

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Brian wrote:

I am trying to replace a light switch and have removed the old switch
and am having troubles deciding where the 4 wires go on the back of the
new switch.I have 2 red & 2 black The back of the switch has 4 holes.
One at the top has a plastic cross over it & I suppose that means I
don't use it To the right it says common to the left it says loop & the
last on on the bottom in the middle is unmarked.
The existing wires seem to want to go as follows; 2 black are together
& want to be on the left (loop) I think.
I guess the 2 reds are the switch wires.Am I correct in thinking 1 goes
to common & the other to the unmarked bottom

Thanks
Brian

Put them back the way they were on the original switch.

If you didn't keep notes, you are unqualified to do the work and should
hire an electrician.

And no, that's not harsh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote:
Brian wrote:

[...]

Thanks I did actually note their original location but they came apart
in the transfer.
It can't be that complicated active & neutral in active &
neutral out through a switch
keep the 2 neutral together & the 2 reds thru the switch to break the
circuit.I'll go with that.
It was only the back of the new switch that stumped me.I'll work it out
..
I just went & bought another archetrave switch to check to poles on the
back & yes they have 4 places for the wires

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 14 Jan 2007 17:33:48 -0800, "Brian"
wrote:

I am trying to replace a light switch and have removed the old switch
and am having troubles deciding where the 4 wires go on the back of the
new switch.I have 2 red & 2 black The back of the switch has 4 holes.
One at the top has a plastic cross over it & I suppose that means I
don't use it To the right it says common to the left it says loop & the
last on on the bottom in the middle is unmarked.
The existing wires seem to want to go as follows; 2 black are together
& want to be on the left (loop) I think.
I guess the 2 reds are the switch wires.Am I correct in thinking 1 goes
to common & the other to the unmarked bottom

Were the 2 reds or maybe the 2 blacks connected to the same screw when
before you took out the old switch? Make a sketch of the old switch
wiring right now, when you still might remember what it looked like.

Ignore my first question and make the sketch like you remember it.

Thanks
Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your help I have fixed it myself 2 blacks to loop 1 red to
common 1 red to other on bottom & surprise surprise it works.I just got
a bit scared & confused when they came apart.It was only a matter of
working my way thru it .the extra hole confused the issue.
Thanks for your time.
Alls well that ends well

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 14 Jan 2007 18:20:49 -0800, wrote:

You have too many wires for a normal single light switch and the wire
colors are odd.

I think so too.

Note: this is in Australia ....

Now I get it. It would have helped to have known that! I don't
normally display headers in usenet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 14 Jan 2007 18:37:43 -0800, "Brian"
wrote:

CJT wrote:
Brian wrote:

[...]

Then your notes were inadequate. They should have included the
individual wires and which were together.

But since you've thanked every one youre problably not reading
anymore.

.
I just went & bought another archetrave switch to check to poles on the
back & yes they have 4 places for the wires

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian wrote:
CJT wrote:

Brian wrote:

[...]

Where do you live and is this a 240V system?

nate

(just got a thought...)