Flat roof replaced with pitched

Old January 10th 07, 11:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flat roof replaced with pitched

Hi,

I'm going to replace my flat roof with a pitched roof & I'm guessing
that like most, want to keep the cost down yet quality high.

I've been searching the web for details but there doesn't appear to be
much information available. My initial plan is to rip off the existing
tar & gravel, leave the plywood & then work with a framing contractor
to place attic trusses. Then get a roofing contractor for final work
(underlayerment, flashing, shingles, gutters, etc).

Has anyone done something similar? My concern is the added weight on
the existing foundation & structure...

Any thoughts & experiences you can share would be very helpful. Also,
I've read several discussions about resurfacing a flat roof with
rubber/foam/etc. and I'm not pursuing this route for a number of
reasons...so I'd like to just discuss the peaked roof please.

Thanks!

Old January 11th 07, 12:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Your local building inspector can probably tell you if what you are
thinking of is feasible.
You would need a building permit I assume.

I would skip the framing contractor and just call a couple of roofers
for quotes.

If you are going with standard trusses its about a days work to place
the trusses and apply sheathing.

Old January 11th 07, 03:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm not thinking of any extreme roof pitch, just something that fit's
in well with the neighborhood.

On Jan 10, 5:54 pm, Goedjn wrote:
On 10 Jan 2007 15:17:35 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I'm going to replace my flat roof with a pitched roof & I'm guessing
that like most, want to keep the cost down yet quality high.

I've been searching the web for details but there doesn't appear to be
much information available. My initial plan is to rip off the existing
tar & gravel, leave the plywood & then work with a framing contractor
to place attic trusses. Then get a roofing contractor for final work
(underlayerment, flashing, shingles, gutters, etc).

Has anyone done something similar? My concern is the added weight on
the existing foundation & structure...

Any thoughts & experiences you can share would be very helpful. Also,
I've read several discussions about resurfacing a flat roof with
rubber/foam/etc. and I'm not pursuing this route for a number of
reasons...so I'd like to just discuss the peaked roof please.How high a pitch are you planning on going with? The chances are

fairly good that the structure doesn't need the weight
taken off, since 1 story studwalls are built the same way 2nd and
3rd story studwalls are... the only reason to mess with the old
roof at all is to make a way to attach the new roof to the old
building.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old January 11th 07, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

A old neighbor did this and went with regular roiof rafters, creating a
nice storage loft at little additional expense.........

It was a sales feature when he sold his home years later, he had added
a ladder access to his attic

today EVERYONE needs more storage space

Old January 11th 07, 04:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I personally think going that route is a very good idea. As another
poster said, the original roof most likely will not have to be removed,
and shouldn't be. Trusses would probably be the way to go. The weight
should not be an issue. I honestly do not know if a roofer would
typically handle that end of the job, but it would cost nothing to ask
around. You may end up having to get a different contractor to do the
actual construction, but if you can find a roofing contractor that will
do the entire job it would probably be better-- if any problems do
arise, you will not have 2 outfits blaming each other. Besides the main
objective, stopping the leaks, you will have the possibility of gaining
some storage space as Hallerb mentioned, a way to run ductwork and
wiring if the need arises, but also, if you are anywhere in the South,
your cooling bills should drop drastically if the new roof space is
properly ventilated. Larry

Permitted Cable Runs: Negotiating a Pitched Roof thankyousam UK diy 0 August 7th 06 08:21 PM
Pitched roof Bolted UK diy 3 April 1st 05 12:05 AM
"Can" Vents Acceptable on Low-Pitched Roof? [email protected] Home Repair 1 March 28th 05 01:16 PM
"Can" Vents Acceptable on Low-Pitched Roof? [email protected] Home Ownership 1 March 28th 05 01:16 PM
Pitched roof angle Peter Crosland UK diy 14 September 12th 03 09:34 PM