Space heater

Old January 10th 07, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Space heater

I just bought a $20 space heater from Wal Mart. It has a 900W setting
and a 1500W setting. It does a pretty good job heating the room. The
problem is that the built in thermostat lets the room get too cool
before it turns on and too hot before it turns off.

Anyone want to recommend one that has better temperature control?
Old January 10th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Terry

This might fill the bill:

http://www.hvacwebconnection.com/images/psp300_spec.pdf

And if you're comfortable working with electricity, you could "roll
your own" by wiring a 120-volt thermostat to an extension cord.

Cheers,
Paul

Old January 10th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just bought a $20 space heater from Wal Mart. It has a 900W setting
and a 1500W setting. It does a pretty good job heating the room. The
problem is that the built in thermostat lets the room get too cool
before it turns on and too hot before it turns off.

Anyone want to recommend one that has better temperature control?

IMHO:

You noticed the problem having the thermistat so close to the heat
source. There are some plug in types of thermostats, however you
might want to seriously look into another way to heat, or conserve
heat. Is this your home?

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Old January 10th 07, 10:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just bought a $20 space heater from Wal Mart. It has a 900W setting
and a 1500W setting. It does a pretty good job heating the room. The
problem is that the built in thermostat lets the room get too cool
before it turns on and too hot before it turns off.

Anyone want to recommend one that has better temperature control?

IMHO:

You noticed the problem having the thermistat so close to the heat
source. There are some plug in types of thermostats, however you
might want to seriously look into another way to heat, or conserve
heat. Is this your home?

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Yes it is my home. I have central heat/air, but I keep it around 66.
Because my computer is in my bed room I just keep that room a little
warmer than the rest of the house. It is just me.

Old January 10th 07, 11:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Yes it is my home. I have central heat/air, but I keep it around 66.
Because my computer is in my bed room I just keep that room a little
warmer than the rest of the house. It is just me.

You need a bigger computer ; ) mine heat the room, I keep it cooler in
this room for that reason.

Old January 11th 07, 05:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just bought a $20 space heater from Wal Mart. It has a 900W setting
and a 1500W setting. It does a pretty good job heating the room. The
problem is that the built in thermostat lets the room get too cool
before it turns on and too hot before it turns off.

Anyone want to recommend one that has better temperature control?

Do you work for NASA? If not, why do you want to heat SPACE?
Is this to make it easier to do space travel or what?

Old January 11th 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

hey, we've got the same heater... It's a lakewood radiant heater in my
case, and it was $30 last year...but I love it.

Here's the thing that i figured out... radiant heaters take a LONG time
to heat up anything because it's gotta heat all that oil up inside and
there has to be thermal conductivity..blah blah blah... it just takes a
bit. Then, get this, after the thermostat kicks off, you're stuck
with all this hot oil heating up the air even further. I like it,
it's an efficient process.

What I did to kinda mellow out the spikes in temperature was buy a $5
timer at walmart. It's got tabs that look like a package of birth
control pills... just knock out every other tab so it only runs half
the time (every other 30 minute cycle)...then kick the thermostat up a
bit so it will run.

Now, you've got a heater that takes just long enough to heat up your
room about 5 degrees before it kicks off, and it takes my old house
loses about 8 degrees per hour on a really cold night (like 15
degrees).

In the summer you can use the timer to run a fan to keep the place from
getting stale while you're at work, or to run lights while you're on
vacation.

Old January 12th 07, 03:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
hey, we've got the same heater... It's a lakewood radiant heater in my
case, and it was $30 last year...but I love it.

I like it,
it's an efficient process.

All electric heaters are 100% efficient. They are also expensive to run in
most places. Our electric rates (Connecticut) just went up to 18.5 per kW
hour so to run a 1500 watt heater for one hour costs 23. For the cost of
heating one room with electric, I can heat most of my house with oil. For
100,000 Btru of electric I'd pay 4.88 but for oil I'd only pay 1.86.

Old January 12th 07, 02:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant efficiency as in there's no fan, air
circulates by the whole "hot air rises, cold sinks" idea.

You're right about Electric costing more. In the case of a bachelor
though, where you spend the majority of your time in one room, like a
bedroom to sleep, a radiant heater makes good sense.

I set my heater down to about 60 this time of year. 58 when I'm at
work, 63 when I get home, 60 to sleep. My gas/electric bills total
about $150/month together (they're about $75 each) for a 1600 square
foot house (no basement).

Jason Kelly
Valley Center, KS

Old January 12th 07, 07:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just bought a $20 space heater from Wal Mart. It has a 900W setting
and a 1500W setting. It does a pretty good job heating the room. The
problem is that the built in thermostat lets the room get too cool
before it turns on and too hot before it turns off.

Anyone want to recommend one that has better temperature control?

IMHO:

You noticed the problem having the thermistat so close to the heat
source. There are some plug in types of thermostats, however you
might want to seriously look into another way to heat, or conserve
heat. Is this your home?

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Yes it is my home. I have central heat/air, but I keep it around 66.
Because my computer is in my bed room I just keep that room a little
warmer than the rest of the house. It is just me.

Ha ha ha. I understand. I have my computer in the basement,
unheated. I bought a heating pad, that I put on the floor and heat my
feet. One tiny heating pad keeps me warm. When I have back problems,
from being at the computer too much, I use it on my back.

I have one that auto shuts off after a time, since I'm safety
paranoid.

If you have the cash, might want to look into zoning, or maybe even
having a real electric heater installed. Something that is designed
to keep the room warmer than the rest of the house.

tom

Have you used a propane space heater? siralfred Home Repair 5 November 25th 05 03:50 AM
Propane space heater recommendations, please siralfred Home Repair 1 November 20th 05 09:04 PM
Space Heater ? Keith Home Repair 3 October 26th 05 04:16 AM
space heater Bob Home Repair 8 October 25th 05 02:45 AM
kick space heater kingrat Home Ownership 1 March 8th 05 02:29 AM