Posted to alt.home.repair

Default grouting around a window

Hi there

When I re-sided my house outside the bathroom window, I pulled on the
window too hard & cracked the grout between the marble tile and the
vinyl window. The window is in the SHOWER so is inherently a danger
for mold, rot, etc. (that's why I had to reside my house!). We will be
installing a shower curtain w/clips to keep water out of the window.
However, I have to replace the grout.

So far, I pulled out all the grout and caulk. It looked like someone
had mixed the grout with the caulk somehow (the caulk was very
discolored and thicker than plain caulk).

Now I'm trying to figure out my next step. Two days ago I installed a
layer of Silicon II caulk deep within the crack, thinking that might
provide an extra layer of sealing/protection if the grout fails. On
the sides of the window there is still about 3/8-1/2" depth for the
grout. On the flat horizontal surface, there is about 1/8-1/4" depth
remaining.

Was my layer of caulk a stupid idea? Should I rip out the caulking I
just put in? What's the best way to do this? The window is vinyl &
I'm worried the grout won't bond well to the vinyl, plus the window
will expand/contract since it's on the outside of the house, ultimately
cracking the grout. Either way, I'll seal the grout and then caulk the
joint between the window & the grout.

I've heard of epoxy grout--is this worth looking into? I read that it
doesn't require sealing.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
-Todd

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You should probably use just the caulk to allow for movement
and flexing which will occur. You can order caulk to match grout
at tile stores.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I agree , grout is fine between pieces that dont move , but for a
window I would use caulk.

I would not try to fill the gap, but apply a bead of caulk big enough
to bridge between the wall and the window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
[...]

Caulk is not one of those "more is better" products, so you don't pack a
space with it. Probably no harm done. When there is a gap to be
filled, there is a product to use before caulking. Round foam strip,
found in caulk dept. You just need a very clean and dry base to apply
the right caulk to - silicone is the pop choice for bath/shower
enclosures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd pack those large gaps with a solid strong filler like
sanded grout, which won't shrink.
Then when that dries you can use caulking as a final
bead between the tile and window.

thetiler

shower grouting nigel UK diy 1 November 10th 06 12:53 PM
Grouting cobbles Barnsey UK diy 0 November 16th 05 07:48 PM
Need ideas on grouting bathtub [email protected] Home Ownership 0 March 29th 05 02:18 AM
Grouting Help PhilÅ UK diy 1 December 29th 04 04:39 AM
Grouting problem MikeyP UK diy 9 October 9th 04 08:30 PM