Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 4 pole to 3 pole Extension Cord.

Hello all, I have a small welder that has a three wire (blk/wht/grnd)
230 volt connection and I would like to plug it into my range outlet
which is four pole, 40 amp.(blk/wht/red/grnd)
My question is how can I connect a three pole receptical onto a four
pole lead ?
Thank You in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably against every code in sight, but the four wire range
connection is ground, neutral and the two legs of the 220 volt line --
so that 110 volt components of the range will function. What you need
to make up is a four prong plug to three prong SOCKET, where you only
bring the two hot lines and the ground across, leaving out the neutral.
You should be able to get the parts you need from any good electrical
supply house, or Lowes, Home depot. Worst case, if you can't find a
three prong socket that goes on a cord, you will have to buy a metal
box, plate, and three prong socket. Then bring three wires (of
sufficient gauge) from this socket to the four prong plug. If you
can't get a four prong plug, a short "pigtail" replacement for a range
should do the trick, as that will have the four wires (you are only
going to use three) and an attached four prong plug. As to what wire
are which, the green should be ground. Use your multimeter to measure
which are the 220 volt pair. Tape off the neutral.

That should do the trick.

Go on line to some outfit like United Electrical Supply and see what
bits and pieces they have, or Lowes/Home Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

professorpaul wrote:
[...]

Excellent, Thank You.
I do have the proper 40amp three prong plug and this is only to get
power to the machine so I can check it out.
I will soon have a 100 amps to my shop to properly supply the machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Electric ranges typically have a 50 amp circuit breaker. So,
yours has 40. That's OK. What's the amperage that your welder
uses?

Seems possible, though, to wire an adaptor. Using a range cord,
and a welder socket (both often available at the hardware). You
could also wire a sub panel off the range socket, and then put in
a welder outlet.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all, I have a small welder that has a three wire

(blk/wht/grnd)
230 volt connection and I would like to plug it into my range

outlet
which is four pole, 40 amp.(blk/wht/red/grnd)
My question is how can I connect a three pole receptical onto a

four
pole lead ?
Thank You in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make an adaptor.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all, I have a small welder that has a three wire (blk/wht/grnd)
230 volt connection and I would like to plug it into my range outlet
which is four pole, 40 amp.(blk/wht/red/grnd)
My question is how can I connect a three pole receptical onto a four
pole lead ?
Thank You in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
wrote:
Hello all, I have a small welder that has a three wire (blk/wht/grnd)
230 volt connection and I would like to plug it into my range outlet
which is four pole, 40 amp.(blk/wht/red/grnd)
My question is how can I connect a three pole receptical onto a four
pole lead ?
Thank You in advance.

For your purpose you will want to connect the welder black lead to the
socket black, welder white lead to socket red, and ground to ground.
There are a few ways you could accomplish this. If the welder uses a
regular appliance cord, perhaps one of the "better" ways would be to
replace the stock cord with one that uses a plug matching your
existing outlet. Save the original cord (I'm assuming it has a molded
on plug) in case you move somewhere that has the older style 3 prong
plug.

If you want more flexibility, you could make or possibly purchase
an adapter. Or, you could of course remove the existing plug and
replace it with one that matches the outlet.

--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:00:32 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

Hello all, I have a small welder that has a three wire (blk/wht/grnd)
230 volt connection and I would like to plug it into my range outlet
which is four pole, 40 amp.(blk/wht/red/grnd)

My question is how can I connect a three pole receptical onto a four
pole lead ?

If by "four pole lead" you mean the (blk/wht/red/grnd) presently
connected to the range outlet.....And you're NOT asking how to put a
different plug onto the welder's cord....

Then just wire up a new three pole receptical from the leads which
connect to the back of the four pole one, connecting from the "blk" and
"red" to the hot slots and the grnd to the third slot on the added
receptical. No connection from the "wht" is needed.

Make sure all your connections are worthy of the fairly high currents
they'll be handling.

I'm no code mavin, but what I just wrote is electrically correct.

I trust you'll make sure the stove is OFF when you're using the welder. G

I think he'lll hve to unplug it, to plug in the welder.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

The adapter cord route is what my brother did with his Lincoln 225 buzz box.
He had access to a industrial electric supply house, through his job at the
time, and got industrial grade fittings and 4 feet or so of the
stays-flexible-forever feed cable like used in plant equipment- it ended up
looking like a commercial item. He keeps it in the welder tool chest for the
once every couple of years he needs it, doing welding for friends at their
houses. I don't think you could do as nice with Borg-grade fittings and
cable.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

RWEXEC wrote:
professorpaul wrote:
[...]

Thank to all that replied, my welder works just fine.

Single pole or double pole? F UK diy 3 June 27th 06 11:42 PM
Light switch 3 pole and 2 pole helpme Home Repair 11 February 13th 06 11:57 PM
Supply 2 Pole,3 Pole Gas Tube Surge Arresters,Gas Discharge Tube,(Ceramic Surge Arresters [email protected] UK diy 2 February 11th 06 01:51 PM
AC shaded pole single phase induction pole motor [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 April 29th 05 03:37 AM
Where to buy 15 ft 3.5" OD pole? Michael Shaffer Home Repair 50 November 2nd 04 05:40 AM