Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink Vent in Attic-"Cheat" Vent

I have added a small second story addition on my house that enclosed a
roof vent for my kichen sink. The contractor plans on installing what
he called a "cheat vent" because it vents into the attic. He will of
course have to extend it up a few feet to get into the new attic space.
It does not require him to punch a hole up through the roof. He said
it has a spring like flipper on the top that only opens when air is
being sucked. His reasoning for this is that he wants to minimize the
number of cuts into my roof because of its low pitch. It is almost a
12:4. I already have my chimney, two roof vents and a bathroom vent
poking through and have never had an issue.

My question is, do these things work adquetely, this is a kitchen sink
and I do not want it to be a slow drainer? Will it add moisture to my
attic? I have a very dry attic and have worked hard to vent exhaust
fans and other items outside of the attic. Any reason why I should not
let him use this type of "cheat" vent?

Thanks for all your help.
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

PeleSajan wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't allow it. a 4/12 is not a low pitch, and punching a vent
through it is not a big deal. Are you subject to plumbing inspections?
I can't imagine a plumbing inspector would let that pass. my
understanding is these devices are used as a last resort, when
conventional venting is not possible. your situation isn't even close
to a last resort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PeleSajan wrote:

[...]

It's a mechanical vent. Some places allow them, some don't.
In any event, I wouldn't put one in an attic. That's poor design.
If you get freezing temps where you are, it probably will freeze
shut anyway.

Instead of cutting another roof termination, he should TEE into
an existing vent.

Back to your question: No they won't add moisture to your attic;
they only draw air in.
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Awesome, thanks guys for the quick responses. I will tell that I do
not want it.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just out of curiosity.....I'm wondering why these sink vents need to go
through the roof instead of the side of the building (like gable end of
attic)?

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Jan 2007 19:25:45 -0800, "PeleSajan"
wrote:

[...]

Why can't he just stuff the sink vent into the side of the
existing bathroom vent before it goes through the roof?
(It might be too far away, or inaccessible..)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

imho:

Confused, is this a real plumber, who is governed by codes and an
overbearing inspector?

I would suggest you get help from your local code enforcement
personnel. Many times trades people will take shortcuts to not
'cross-trade', meaning this plumber does not want to do roofing work.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline