Short Circuit - Caused by nail

Old January 1st 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Short Circuit - Caused by nail

Hi;

I have a short circuit in part of my house - the breaker immediately
trips when I try to reset it and it's not the breaker because I tried
switching the wires with another good breaker and it makes it trip as
well.

I checked all the outlets and light switches in the two affected rooms,
everything looked ok, unplugged one at a time and tested the breaker,
no go.

I think I know what the problem is though, I put in two nails into the
wall to hang up some pictures recently... I'm going to call an
electrician, but wanted some insights as to what he can do to fix the
problem and how big a job will it be? Does he have to tear down all
the drywall, etc?? What would be a reasonable quote?

Any input appreciated.

Old January 1st 07, 08:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Hi;

I have a short circuit in part of my house - the breaker immediately
trips when I try to reset it and it's not the breaker because I tried
switching the wires with another good breaker and it makes it trip as
well.

I checked all the outlets and light switches in the two affected
rooms, everything looked ok, unplugged one at a time and tested the
breaker, no go.

I think I know what the problem is though, I put in two nails into the
wall to hang up some pictures recently... I'm going to call an
electrician, but wanted some insights as to what he can do to fix the
problem and how big a job will it be? Does he have to tear down all
the drywall, etc?? What would be a reasonable quote?

Any input appreciated.

Have you tried removing the nails?

Old January 1st 07, 08:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Yes, they were removed and still no go... from what I have been
reading, if the damage to the wires have already been done, removing
them won't help.

Old January 1st 07, 08:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

You might want to remove the nails and see if the breaker clears, to be sure
you're barking up the right tree

ups.com...

Old January 1st 07, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Bob wrote:
Yes, they were removed and still no go... from what I have been
reading, if the damage to the wires have already been done, removing
them won't help.

Only if you managed to break the insulation on two conductors and leave
them touching after the offending nail was pulled. Possible, not real
probable although more likely w/ stranded than solid wire, though.

I'd question the likelihood of the problem being that though, because
unless you used a really long nail or the wiring was improperly
installed too near one wall or the other, you should not have been able
to reach hidden cable.

Now, if you saw/heard the breaker trip the instant you drove one of
them, that would be a good indication. If, otoh, it happened sometime
removed, even though after the actual nail-driving party, I'd suspect
something else.

Old January 1st 07, 09:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:

snipped

I'm going to call an
electrician, but wanted some insights as to what he can do to fix the
problem and how big a job will it be? Does he have to tear down all
the drywall, etc?? What would be a reasonable quote?

Any input appreciated.

How the heck could you possibly expect to get a usefull answer to a
question posed that way, Bob? You haven't given us a clue about your
"house". How many floors? Finished basement? Where in the house was that
nail driving exercise located?

Based on your description, my "estimate" for a reasonable quote would
be, "More than $50 and less than $20,000."

Now, f you are really convinced the problem was caused by bad luck when
nailing into a wall, then I'd suggest you just carve away the drywall
around the nail holes, making say a 3" diameter hole you can shine a
light into and see if there really IS a wire there. Holes like that are
quite easy to patch, and as you were going to hang pictures there anyway
you could probably put off painting until the next time the whole room
needs painting.

If you DO find a damaged wire there, then call in an electrician if you
can't handle the repair yourself. I'm no code mavin, but it might be
possible to make a legal splice of a damaged wire without having to pull
a whole new length by installing a box in the wall with a cover on it,
and that box could be hidden behind a picture.

HTH.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Old January 1st 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Jeff Wisnia wrote:

If you DO find a damaged wire there, then call in an electrician if you
can't handle the repair yourself. I'm no code mavin, but it might be
possible to make a legal splice of a damaged wire without having to pull
a whole new length by installing a box in the wall with a cover on it,
and that box could be hidden behind a picture.

As long as there's enough slack in the cable to pull it into the box, while
leaving enough to make splices there, that's certainly Code-compliant. The big
question is whether there's enough slack in the cable... and it's likely there
is *not*.

--
Regards,

Old January 1st 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
Bob wrote:

[...]

If you used a big box you could probably make it work, but it wouldn't meet
code.

Garage Short Circuit? MJR Home Repair 17 January 24th 09 02:00 PM
Tripping of circuit caused by an extension lead. soup UK diy 9 September 9th 06 03:40 PM
Short in Circuit or Circuit breaker? Greg Home Repair 13 January 29th 06 06:45 PM
Adiabatic short-circuit compliance on very short short-circuits Will Dean UK diy 17 August 23rd 05 12:03 PM
Ink Jet Driver Circuits Blown Due to Short Circuit Caused By Ink Spill? Dieter Schmitz Electronics Repair 0 December 19th 04 08:20 PM