Posted to alt.home.repair

Default who uses Grade 2/unmarked hardware?

Hi all,

as you may know I've recently moved into a new house and I've been
scouting the local hardware stores trying to find the good places to buy
stuff. Being a car guy i'm in the habit of always using Grade 5
hardware, since that's generally the minimum grade used in an automotive
application (and yes, I do use Grade 8 or 12.9 whenever that is what was
originally used.) I always used to buy hardware at a local auto parts
store that would just sell me full boxes of pik-a-nut stuff and thought
no more of it. If they didn't have what I needed I'd go to a "marine
fasteners" store whose standard hardware was stainless or Grade 8.

Now I find in my new location that when I go to the store the stuff in
the general bins is always Grade 2; the Grade 5, if they have it, is in
the little slide out drawers. Is the use of Grade 2 hardware really
common? From my perspective, I never see it used.

Sidebar question - do any of the chain hardware stores keep fully
stocked pik-a-nut racks, or do I need to find a new independent to get
friendly with? In my area I have Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys, and a
local chain called "Fairfax Auto Parts" (the best of the lot, comparable
to NAPA but my local store is a small one.)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Being a car guy i'm in the habit of always using Grade 5 hardware, since
that's generally the minimum grade used in an automotive application
Now I find in my new location that when I go to the store the stuff in the
general bins is always Grade 2; the Grade 5, if they have it, is in the
little slide out drawers. Is the use of Grade 2 hardware really common?
From my perspective, I never see it used.

Most home applications never see the same stresses than an automobile will
see. Grade 2 is fine for 99% of what you do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Being a car guy i'm in the habit of always using Grade 5 hardware, since
that's generally the minimum grade used in an automotive application
Now I find in my new location that when I go to the store the stuff in the
general bins is always Grade 2; the Grade 5, if they have it, is in the
little slide out drawers. Is the use of Grade 2 hardware really common?
From my perspective, I never see it used.

Most home applications never see the same stresses than an automobile will
see. Grade 2 is fine for 99% of what you do.

99% of what I do is working on cars The home thing, well, that's
because I have to...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

From my perspective, I never see it used.

Sidebar question - do any of the chain hardware stores keep fully stocked
pik-a-nut racks, or do I need to find a new independent to get friendly
with? In my area I have Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys, and a local chain
called "Fairfax Auto Parts" (the best of the lot, comparable to NAPA but
my local store is a small one.)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

The chain stores have decent odds and ends for bolts and nuts and whatnot.
Originally that's why I started going to Eagle Hardware (now known as Lowe's
of course). Lowe's still has decent stuff, although it did take a pretty
big hit when Eagle got bought out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

From my perspective, I never see it used.

Sidebar question - do any of the chain hardware stores keep fully stocked
pik-a-nut racks, or do I need to find a new independent to get friendly
with? In my area I have Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys, and a local chain
called "Fairfax Auto Parts" (the best of the lot, comparable to NAPA but
my local store is a small one.)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

The chain stores have decent odds and ends for bolts and nuts and whatnot.
Originally that's why I started going to Eagle Hardware (now known as Lowe's
of course). Lowe's still has decent stuff, although it did take a pretty
big hit when Eagle got bought out.

My local (misnomer, it's 20 miles away) Lowes doesn't have a great
selection of Grade 5. It's all in those little bagged 3-packs and stock
is not good. Home Depot is closer but the same situation. I meant to
say chain auto parts stores in my original post...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
.. .
Eigenvector wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

On the rare occasions I need grade 5 or 8 or higher, I have the best luck at
the local Tractor Supply or similar stores. Farmers hate fixing things
twice, I guess, and farm machinery is hard on bolts.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Nate Nagel wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

From my perspective, I never see it used.

[...]

That's because they're a general building and home repair kinda' place
as are virtually all general-merchandise hardware stores even if
locally owned and certainly all the chains like Ace, etc., are. Thus,
the Grade 5 and higher is the "specialty" stuff for them.

OTOH, as you've noted, for automotive applications, Grade 5 or higher
is the norm, so that's what they carry. I've never found the general
automotive supply stores, however (even NAPA) as good places for
general hardware as far as anything other than they will probably have
a reasonable range of stock, but again, their business is parts and the
ancillary hardware is usually a sideline (and a pretty pricey one at
that). As you seem to have found, wouldn't be that unusual for an
individual store to stock stuff in larger quantities, but certainly
isn't the general rule anywhere I've ever seen.

You don't really say what your aim is nor any clue as to where you are.
Here, small town, mostly agricultural and oil/gas production, the two
places to go for general high-grade stuff is either the ag-equipment
dealers or the oilfield supply houses. If you want smaller stuff, 1"
or so and down, ag-equipment is the place while if you need big stuff,
the oilfield guys are the ones who will have it. For automotive use,
that would almost always be the farm equipment, or course!

If, otoh, you're looking for stuff for general use around the house,
Grade 2 is plenty good enough for almost anything you'll run into.
But, around here, again, the general farm supply (as somebody else
noted) is the place for common stuff in bulk.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Both the chain hardware stores in our area have excellent coverage of
nuts and bolts in several grades. Ace Hardware at the moment seems to a
bit better than True Value. The automotive selection at Carquest Auto
Parts has good depth, and decent variety. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
m...

[...]

From my perspective, I never see it used.

[...]

I guess I will have to make the trek west to a Fleet Farm or similar at
some point to stock the garage - or else just go back to my old FLAPS
(it's about 50 miles away, so not outside the realm of doability.) I
live in Falls Church, VA which is "inside the beltway" and therefore
there's not a whole lot of farm-oriented stores. I just like to have an
assortment of the most common stuff on hand - a handful each of 1/4"
through 1/2" bolts both UNC and UNF in lengths from 1/2" to maybe 1-1/2"
also nuts, flat washers, and lock washers. I don't like buying Grade 2
because most of the work I do is on old cars; if I end up having to use
an "overkill" fastener to bolt together some shelves, say, so be it.
Most common use of "in stock" hardware is to replace some badly rusted
fastener that I've just removed from an old car to do some maintenance;
I hate having to make a trip to the store every time I decide to fix
something, so when I *do* buy hardware I almost always buy 2x what I
need unless it's something esoteric.

I roundly cursed the idiot that bolted the water pump manifold onto my
Studebaker with Grade 2 bolts... had to pull the radiator to drill them
out when they snapped off (as I tried to tighten them to stop a weeping
gasket.)

My dream would be to find an auto parts store that's going out of
business and just buy their whole pik-a-nut rack for a couple hundred
bucks, but I have a feeling that that is just that, a dream.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

snip

My local (misnomer, it's 20 miles away) Lowes doesn't have a great
selection of Grade 5. It's all in those little bagged 3-packs and stock
is not good. Home Depot is closer but the same situation. I meant to say
chain auto parts stores in my original post...

nate

I *hate* those damed 3-packs. I usually need four or eight of something.
Heck, I'd just as soon buy a box of 50 for what they are actually worth -
wWhat these packs amount to is buying a bottle of whiskey 1 shot at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

From my perspective, I never see it used.

[...]

My background is mechanical engineering / aerospace & of course we used
nearly exclusively Mil-Std fasteners

when I made the switch to structural research I tended to use Grade 8
nearly exclusively for tooling & fixturing.......I was rather surprised
when I learned that in the civil engineering world (timber
construction, esp ) typically Grade 2 fasteners were used.

So the way I look at it is....there is a spectrum of fastener
strengths.....ME applications tend to be up in the Grade 5 & Grade 8
range.

CE applications (esp timber construction) tend to be mostly in the
Grade 2 range ....sometimes Grade 5

Since in timber you're dealing with a material much softer & weaker
than steel there is really no reason to use higher strength fasteners;
typically the wood is the weak link.

Plus (esp in timber construction) the QC is usually pretty poor so by
spec'ing bottom of the barrel fasteners it's hard to get field
installed ones that are weaker than one expects.

Additionally the CE's like their connections to be ductile & grade 2
fasteners are much more ductile than Grade 5 or 8.

In defense of the CE world, they have much greater variability in their
applied loads & often have to design systems to still "work" when
greatly over stressed.

ME's kinda have it a little easier in that we tend to have a much
better idea of the actual loads that a system will see.

www.mcmaster.com has great online catalog & a great selection of Grade
2, 5 & 8....unfortunately most of the time you have to by a whole box.

hope this helped

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Here in Canada I have used Brafasco, a contraction of Brampton Fastener
Company, it sells all kinds of commercial/industrial/safety hardware along
with all types of nuts, bolts and screws in all grades.

I don't know if they have the same service and quality as the last time I
visited them as they have been bought out by HD Supply, a division of Home
Depot.

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
.. .
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Being a car guy i'm in the habit of always using Grade 5 hardware, since
that's generally the minimum grade used in an automotive application
Now I find in my new location that when I go to the store the stuff in
the general bins is always Grade 2; the Grade 5, if they have it, is in
the little slide out drawers. Is the use of Grade 2 hardware really
common? From my perspective, I never see it used.

Most home applications never see the same stresses than an automobile
will see. Grade 2 is fine for 99% of what you do.

99% of what I do is working on cars The home thing, well, that's
because I have to...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Someone mentioned Tractor Supply. Website he
http://www.tractorsupply.com/ Another is Orschelns.
http://tinyurl.com/y35ehs I don't think they sell online. There
have been some Fastenal Stores popping up in my area:
http://tinyurl.com/hxcws No idea if they sell retail.

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

From my perspective, I never see it used.

Sidebar question - do any of the chain hardware stores keep fully stocked
pik-a-nut racks, or do I need to find a new independent to get friendly
with? In my area I have Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys, and a local chain
called "Fairfax Auto Parts" (the best of the lot, comparable to NAPA but
my local store is a small one.)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

I don't know how close one might be, but an industrial supply or fastener
supply is your best bet for quantity and quality hardware. "Fastenal" is one
chain that is really good here.

Don Young