Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Digital Heat Thermostat: If Batteries Run-Down, What happens ?

Hello:

Have a gas, forced hot water heating system.
Was about to order a Honeywell thermostat over the web, but had the
following concern which
just dawned on me.

Am interested in their digital model RTH 5100 which is non-programmable.

It says on their ad sheet that it maintains the set-point if there is a
power outage.
O.K., that's great.

But even if there is house power--

These units require a battery or two.

What happens if the battery runs down while you are away ?
I know, use new, fresh, batteries, etc. But-

Will the furnace shut off if battery runs down ?

Or, is the battery only for the display, and the circuitry still works ? If
so, how, as there's no current when
the circuit is calling for no heat thru the 2 wires.

e.g., with no thermostat battery voltage, does the curcuitry default to a
circuit closed condition, which would
keep the furnace active, or... ?

A bit worried about this.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
What happens if the battery runs down while you are away ?
I know, use new, fresh, batteries, etc. But- A bit worried about this.

Replace the batteries once a year. I've had programmable state for about 20
years and never had a problem from battery failure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message
What happens if the battery runs down while you are away ?
I know, use new, fresh, batteries, etc. But- A bit worried about this.

Replace the batteries once a year. I've had programmable state for about 20
years and never had a problem from battery failure.

Some of the digital models have a failsafe mechanical backup that will
kick in at a fixed low temp like 45. You'd have to pull up the specs
to see if this one has it.

For digital thermostats, I like the Honeywell LCD touchscreen. Not
sure of the model, 8600?. Two key features I like are adaptive
recovery, where you just set it for the time you want the new temp to
be reached, eg 70 at 7AM. Based on experience, the thermostat gets
the furnace going at whatever time prior to 7am that it figures out it
needs to. It also has vacation hold mode, where you can set a temp to
be held for X days before it resumes it's regular schedule.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

As Edwin stated, if you replace the batteries occasionally you will
never have a problem. But I believe the settings (day, time, and temp)
are lost if the battery gets too low. There is however a default
setting I believe the thermostat will revert to, and that is somewhere
around 70 degrees. So even if you lost your settings, it would not heat
or cool the home excessively. Again, I believe that is what most would
do and that is what mine do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

I don't know about all models, but many if not all just use the battery
as backup to remember your settings. If the battery dies and if the power
goes out, you will need to rest your preferences.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I added a regular thermostat set at 50 degrees, just in case the
electronic one flakes out.

Cheap insurance if you ask me

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

I am not sure of your concern but I went and read the manual to this
thermostat and it is entirely digital as it has no manual switch. It does
not say what it defaults to in case of no power battery or otherwise. My
guess would be off but that is just my guess. In any case if you do not
think you can remember to put new batteries in it or may be away from it for
extended periods of time this may not be the thermostat for you.
You may be better of with one like I have. I have a Robertshaw 9520. It
is a digital thermostat that requires no batteries. I has a manual switch
though for Heat, Cool and Off. With mine If the switch is in the Heat
position and the power fails it comes back on with the heat set at 60, if
the switch is in the Cool position it comes back on with the air set at 80,
if the switch is in the off position it simply stays off.

Joe

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Snip

As Edwin stated, if you replace the batteries occasionally you will never
have a problem. But I believe the settings (day, time, and temp) are lost
if the battery gets too low. There is however a default setting I believe
the thermostat will revert to, and that is somewhere around 70 degrees.
So even if you lost your settings, it would not heat or cool the home
excessively. Again, I believe that is what most would do and that is what
mine do.

That is what my Honeywell did, too,

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader4, Frank wrote:
The only problem is that is that at 45 for a long period of time, the
condensate will build up in the pressure switch tubes and the furnace will
quit working.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...en-180532-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 9:14:05 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
replying to trader4, Frank wrote:
The only problem is that is that at 45 for a long period of time, the
condensate will build up in the pressure switch tubes and the furnace will
quit working.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...en-180532-.htm

Says who, Mr. Responder to ten year old threads? I've had my furnace
set to 45F while on vacation in the middle of winter, with no problems. Sounds like you have a crap furnace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Joe, Dustyknees wrote:
I came to my newly purchased condo this morning and the furnace was blasting.
Must have been 3 digits, took awhile for the thermostat with now new batteries
to get off the "99" mark. I kind of thought that with no batteries it would
just sit idle - but mine floored it!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...en-180532-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
stu stu is offline

replying to bowgus, stu wrote:
you are 100% RIGHT it just happen to me at a cottage we visit once a month in
the winter,,, thank god it was 92 degrees and not 5 below i would have
freaked out big time i think we will go back to the manual, cant wait to see
the bill

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...en-180532-.htm