Posted to alt.home.repair

Default clunking from fridge

Our Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator has always clunked when the
compressor shuts off. Recently, I pulled it out and tightened the motor
mounts, which were only slightly loose--I was only able to give the
bolts a turn of about half of one flat (one-twelfth turn?). The
anti-vibration washers look a little funky, but I'm not sure how they
should look.
The result of this seems to be that it now does more of a
"ch-ch-ch-chunk" sound, sort of like a dieseling gas engine, when it
stops. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TedBC" wrote in message
.. .
Our Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator has always clunked when the
compressor shuts off. Recently, I pulled it out and tightened the motor
mounts, which were only slightly loose--I was only able to give the bolts
a turn of about half of one flat (one-twelfth turn?). The anti-vibration
washers look a little funky, but I'm not sure how they should look.
The result of this seems to be that it now does more of a "ch-ch-ch-chunk"
sound, sort of like a dieseling gas engine, when it stops. Any ideas?

There are some internal springs on the compressor. Once broken, they are
not easily repaired since the compressor is a sealed unit. May go on for
many years with the clunk, could die tomorrow. Those motor mounts should
have been left alone so it could float a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"TedBC" wrote in message
.. .
Our Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator has always clunked when the
compressor shuts off. Recently, I pulled it out and tightened the motor
mounts, which were only slightly loose--I was only able to give the bolts
a turn of about half of one flat (one-twelfth turn?). The anti-vibration
washers look a little funky, but I'm not sure how they should look.
The result of this seems to be that it now does more of a "ch-ch-ch-chunk"
sound, sort of like a dieseling gas engine, when it stops. Any ideas?

There are some internal springs on the compressor. Once broken, they are
not easily repaired since the compressor is a sealed unit. May go on for
many years with the clunk, could die tomorrow. Those motor mounts should
have been left alone so it could float a bit.

Thanks for the info--I thought it might be something like that. Now if
it's just die sometime when I have some money...

Kenmore Elite clothes dryer making clunking sound [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 26th 06 06:05 PM
RV Fridge? Gunner Metalworking 11 March 22nd 06 05:33 AM
Hotpoint ff93 fridge/freezer - fridge section not working DBridge UK diy 10 December 11th 04 03:49 PM
Clunking in combi boiler when tap is closed: due to back pressure? dave L UK diy 0 May 9th 04 10:50 AM