Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smelly water from the water heater

I am looking for help from some of the plumbers that may frequent this
board.

For several months I have been getting a strong hydrogen sulfide smell
from my hot water. I have drained the water heater several times. It
gets better but then comes back quickly. I know it's not bad city
water because the cold side is fine. When I drain, black gunk comes out
for a few seconds and then clears. I have even drained it completely.

I am worried about the health concerns.

Has anyone heard of this? What is the cause? How do I cure it. Any help
would be appreciated beyond your imagination.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Dec 2006 14:02:28 -0800, "Diadem"
wrote:

I am looking for help from some of the plumbers that may frequent this
board.

For several months I have been getting a strong hydrogen sulfide smell
from my hot water. I have drained the water heater several times. It
gets better but then comes back quickly. I know it's not bad city
water because the cold side is fine. When I drain, black gunk comes out
for a few seconds and then clears. I have even drained it completely.

I am worried about the health concerns.

Has anyone heard of this? What is the cause? How do I cure it. Any help
would be appreciated beyond your imagination.

Thanks

IMHO, have your anode checked.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply.

Your short answer intially dumbfounded me, but some additional research
on the internet on anode corrosion and the symptoms has greatly helped
me. Thanks!!!!

wrote:

I am looking for help from some of the plumbers that may frequent this
board.

For several months I have been getting a strong hydrogen sulfide smell
from my hot water. I have drained the water heater several times. It
gets better but then comes back quickly. I know it's not bad city
water because the cold side is fine. When I drain, black gunk comes out
for a few seconds and then clears. I have even drained it completely.

I am worried about the health concerns.

Has anyone heard of this? What is the cause? How do I cure it. Any help
would be appreciated beyond your imagination.

Thanks

IMHO, have your anode checked.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ned Ned is offline

I would seriously consider buying a new water heater. A different
brand!
It will be more efficient and save you on fuel costs and fix your
problem..

wrote:

I am looking for help from some of the plumbers that may frequent this
board.

For several months I have been getting a strong hydrogen sulfide smell
from my hot water. I have drained the water heater several times. It
gets better but then comes back quickly. I know it's not bad city
water because the cold side is fine. When I drain, black gunk comes out
for a few seconds and then clears. I have even drained it completely.

I am worried about the health concerns.

Has anyone heard of this? What is the cause? How do I cure it. Any help
would be appreciated beyond your imagination.

Thanks

IMHO, have your anode checked.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

Diadem wrote:

For several months I have been getting a strong hydrogen sulfide smell
from my hot water.
Has anyone heard of this? What is the cause? How do I cure it. Any help
would be appreciated beyond your imagination.

Thanks

Sounds like the anode rod needs to be replaced. look at
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/know...460788,00.html
for more information

Or search the web for anode rod, or water heater rod.

Good Luck