Posted to alt.home.repair

Default blue-green crystals forming at gas water heater junctions

Our heater is about 6 months old. We knew the inlet pipe had a tiny leak
and have been watching it hoping impurities would fill it up. Instead a
soft crystalline growth is forming at several places on the heater and
downstream as well.

My husband, a competant handyman and mechanical engineer did the install
and We would like help figuring this out. Could the heater sacrificial
anode be malfunctioning? I believe all pipes in the house are copper or
iron.

We are also experiencing a pressure drop in the hot water lines only.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"diane e" wrote in message
news:510e33460e87b19eb01d8197e37c26ee@homerepairli ve.com...
Our heater is about 6 months old. We knew the inlet pipe had a tiny leak
and have been watching it hoping impurities would fill it up. Instead a
soft crystalline growth is forming at several places on the heater and
downstream as well.

My husband, a competant handyman and mechanical engineer did the install
and We would like help figuring this out. Could the heater sacrificial
anode be malfunctioning? I believe all pipes in the house are copper or
iron.

We are also experiencing a pressure drop in the hot water lines only.

Hate to say this, but he can't be too competent if he allowed a small leak
to continue hoping it will go away on it's own. Sometimes they do, but
typically its only after the pipes experience accelerated rusting/corrosion.

You didn't describe the situation that well, what is the inlet pipe made
of - iron or copper? What are your hot water pipes overall - iron or
copper? Those two answers might help us better understand it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have used 2 paRT EPOXY TO STOP MINOR LEAKS.

iTS REALLY BETTER TO TAKE IT APART AND START OVER the corrosion may be
attacking the tanks connection area.

Dieelictric unions are a good idea.

If the lkeaks at the tanks connection and you dont fix it one day soon
you will need another new tank Have that one pro installed its
cheaper than buying another new tank