Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New tile cleanup

My renovator put together my beautiful new shower, and now that he's
gone, and I've had an opportunity to use the shower for a couple weeks,
it seems that the grout was not fully washed off my porcelain tiles.

I have a couple questions.

1) What is the best way to remove the film of grout from the surface of
tiles? It seems to have hardened and the true colour of the tiles are
not coming out as they look dull due to the grout on the surface of the
tiles? If I need to scrub it? what should I use?

2) I do have a large shower, (4x8), and I would like to seal it once
I've cleaned it up a little. What would be best for a shower? Does it
make a difference if I seal it now or say a month of shower use later?
Does it make a difference if the surface grout is not cleaned up before
I seal it?

Thanks for your help
Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article om,
says...
My renovator put together my beautiful new shower, and now that he's
gone, and I've had an opportunity to use the shower for a couple weeks,
it seems that the grout was not fully washed off my porcelain tiles.

I have a couple questions.

1) What is the best way to remove the film of grout from the surface of
tiles? It seems to have hardened and the true colour of the tiles are
not coming out as they look dull due to the grout on the surface of the
tiles? If I need to scrub it? what should I use?

If it's only the grout film, I've had good luck scrubbing it down
with a blue/green ScotchBrite pad and a lot of water. It's some
work but won't affect the grout. It's not stuck to the tile
(nothing does). Since you have porcelain tiles, nothing ever will!
;-)

2) I do have a large shower, (4x8), and I would like to seal it once
I've cleaned it up a little. What would be best for a shower? Does it
make a difference if I seal it now or say a month of shower use later?

Likely not. I'd do it before the shower is used (at least three
days after it's grouted).

Does it make a difference if the surface grout is not cleaned up before
I seal it?

Yes. Clean it up first. You don't want to seal in any crap.

I really think you're over-estimating your grout haze problem.
I've screwed up by not washing it down enough and had no problem
cleaning the haze afterwards. It's easier on day one, bit not all
that hard later.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I'll start with water and work my
way to some stronger items if it doesn't work.

Just to save myself some elbow grease (again big shower with a mosaic
floor), does it make sense to put a scrub pad on the bottom of my
cordless sander?

I'll let you know how things work out.