Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window lube?

Thanks in no small part to posters on this NG, I have overcome any fear
I had of disassembling and repairing the windows in my house... got
everything in pretty good shape except one of the windows in the
kitchen. All windows are Anderson Narroline windows, most circa 1989
but the one that I had problems with was dated earlier than that, 1984 I
think? Anyway, both sashes were stuck and there was no screen on this
window, which was above the kitchen sink - one that you just might want
to open. So I forced it open and found a bottom sash rotted along the
lower edge. D'oh. I bit the bullet and ordered two new sashes from
Andersen in Low-E glass as well as a screen (the upper sash was badly
stuck, and this was the only window in the house that was not "High
Performance" or "Low-E" glass anyway.) They arrived today and installed
without a hitch, but the upper sash stuck again as soon as I put the
sash channel back in the left side of the window. I'm guessing that
either a) I need a new sash channel b) I should shave a little wood off
the frame to allow a tiny bit more clearance for the sash channel, or c)
I should lube the sash channel with something.

I'm guessing that something like a teflon spray would be appropriate? I
don't think I want to use anything greasy on wood. Will this really
help, or do you think I'm looking at options a) or b)?

Also, I think I may have created more work for myself. I ordered the
window in white exterior and unfinished interior as that's how the rest
of the windows in the house are. However, someone went back and painted
the inside of all the sashes and trim gloss white. Now that I look
closely at the windows it looks like the exterior surface is just wood
with a really hard, smooth coat of white paint on it. True? Should I
just have ordered all white windows and saved myself the trouble of
painting? Should I paint the sashes installed or removed?

thanks,

nate

(all other windows working nicely, thanks...)

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Spray silicone or candle wax (paraffin)

If both surfaces are wood the wax may be the better option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

The sashes are wood, but the liners (the mating part of the frame) are
vinyl.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt spake thus:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

... I'm guessing that ... c) I should lube the sash channel with
something.

Spray silicone or candle wax (paraffin)

I'd go with the candle wax. Good solid lube for just about anything. I
always keep a little chunk in my toolbelt. (Great for making wood screws
so much easier to drive; better than soap, even.)

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Colbyt wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

The silicone can't hurt. It is also easier to use.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

You hear what happened to the girl who couldn't tell the difference
between vaseline and putty?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
I'm guessing that
either a) I need a new sash channel b) I should shave a little wood
off
the frame to allow a tiny bit more clearance for the sash channel, or
c)
I should lube the sash channel with something.

I'm guessing that something like a teflon spray would be appropriate?
don't think I want to use anything greasy on wood. Will this really
help, or do you think I'm looking at options a) or b)?

thanks,

nate

(all other windows working nicely, thanks...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Low-E glass is insufficient for most climates. I hope you spent at
least a little extra on at least the argon fill.

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:02:27 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Argon fill is not a long-term solution. The argon actually sinks between
the glass panes and creates a negative area in the center madking plates
slightly closer together in the center than around the periphery. In cold
climates with high indoor himidity a circular condensation appears in the
middle of the glass pane. For me this is hard to believe, but I was told
the same story by several folks in the biz.

Experience: I just replaced 18 Anderson sashes, vintage 1990. Anderson
made changes to correct this problem, one of which, I am told, is to
eliminate the argon fill. Super-dry air-fill insulates just as well and
doesn't migrate. I also learned that the gas fill (air or argon) has
little to do with the insualation value; it is the distance between the
inner surfaces of the glass that does the job. Anderson installers have a
gage that measures this distance to check for possible sash insulation
failures.

DH - Illinois

Posted to alt.home.repair

dontrain wrote:

Argon fill is not a long-term solution. The argon actually sinks between
the glass panes and creates a negative area in the center madking plates
slightly closer together in the center than around the periphery... For
me this is hard to believe...

Does wearing your tinfoil hat make it easier? :-)

Nick

Electrical lube Charlie Bress Home Repair 18 July 28th 06 03:37 PM
o -ring lube werwer Home Repair 8 November 30th 05 12:45 AM
Household Lube-- what do you use? Jack Home Repair 24 October 9th 05 02:16 AM
Yet another possible TS gear lube hylourgos Woodworking 5 January 19th 05 12:10 AM
Unisaw lube? David Woodworking 14 January 9th 05 04:43 PM