Junked car left on my property by former tenants

Old December 15th 06, 01:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Junked car left on my property by former tenants

This is possibly a litttle off topic.

I have a rental property. The tenants I had skipped out on their
lease, and left the house filthy and did not provide heat which caused
some plumbing damage. I already intend to take them to small claims
court for the damages, cleaning, and unpaid rent according to the
lease.

My question is this: I will have new tenants moving into the
property, and these old tenants left a junked car in the driveway. I
told them in writing that it must be removed, while they were still
living there. They moved about a month ago, and this junker is still
on my property. Can I legally have a wrecker remove it? What is the
proper and legal method to get rid of this piece of junk?

Thanks

Old December 15th 06, 02:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
This is possibly a litttle off topic.

I have a rental property. The tenants I had skipped out on their
lease, and left the house filthy and did not provide heat which caused
some plumbing damage. I already intend to take them to small claims
court for the damages, cleaning, and unpaid rent according to the
lease.

My question is this: I will have new tenants moving into the
property, and these old tenants left a junked car in the driveway. I
told them in writing that it must be removed, while they were still
living there. They moved about a month ago, and this junker is still
on my property. Can I legally have a wrecker remove it? What is the
proper and legal method to get rid of this piece of junk?

Thanks

Two correct answers already.One additional proper and legal is:

Call your local code enforcement office and have them site you for the
vehicle. Then following their demands you haul it away.

OR

In this case you can most likely get away with towing the junk away. The
cock roaches aren't going to come out of hiding so you can sue them. BTDT
(been there done that)

Colbyt

Old December 15th 06, 03:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote

It's quite likely that you'll have to give some kind of formal
notice(s) before removing the vehicle.

Start at city hall, or with the wrecker company.

Here, in Las Vegas, about ten years ago, the freeway system was being
expanded. It went through new territory near where I lived. On that
property was a derelict automobile, the type that had no engine, no tranny,
and only consisted of a shell, even with no doors. It rested on its roof.
It had probably 500 bullet holes in it.

They did a news story on it.

In order to "LEGALLY" remove the auto from the oncoming freeway, they had to
post a bright lime green sticker on it for 90 days notifying the "owner"
that if they did not move the automobile by a certain date, it would be
towed.

Don't you love "the process"?

Steve

Old December 15th 06, 03:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"The Streets" wrote

I've had success in the past with a similar situation by contacting
the local board of health. If they can be convinced that it harbors
rats or some other health issue, they can often cut through any
red tape and get it removed.

My mother-in-law goes to Missouri every summer to visit her sister for three
months. During the time she was gone last summer, someone abandoned a car
in front of her house. We called, and they told us that the car could not
be impounded unless it was blocking a driveway or impeding traffic.

Well, just a little push, and voila! It was now blocking her driveway.

The car was gone in four hours.

Does this give you any ideas?

Steve

Old December 15th 06, 03:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message

My question is this: I will have new tenants moving into the
property, and these old tenants left a junked car in the driveway. I
told them in writing that it must be removed, while they were still
living there. They moved about a month ago, and this junker is still
on my property. Can I legally have a wrecker remove it? What is the
proper and legal method to get rid of this piece of junk?

Thanks

Two correct answers already.One additional proper and legal is:

Call your local code enforcement office and have them site you for the
vehicle. Then following their demands you haul it away.

OR

In this case you can most likely get away with towing the junk away. The
cock roaches aren't going to come out of hiding so you can sue them. BTDT
(been there done that)

Colbyt

In Rockford, IL. a landlord was cited for the junk a tenant had left in the
driveway of a house when the tenant moved out after the electric and gas was
turned off for non payment. So the landlord had the utilities turned back
on in his name and was in the process of loading up the junk when the
tenant showed up with a sheriff's deputy in tow. Deputy told him he
couldn't evict the tenant (and his property) without going through the
proper eviction procedures. So he had to let the tenant move back in (with
heat and electricicity) while he went to court to get the proper eviction
process in motion. In the meantime the landlord had to show up in court to
explain himself for not removing the junk. Of course, the authorities said
they would take into consideration his problem.

Tom G.