Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Junked car left on my property by former tenants

wrote in message
ups.com...
When this happened to me, I pushed the car into the street and informed
the departed tenents that their car was parked on a public street and
reminded them that my city of Menlo Park CA has a regulation against
overnight parking of cars on the city streets.
The departed tenants were out there next day fixing the car so they
could drive it off before it was towed.

John

Hold your phone calls, folks. We have a winner!

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:50:39 -0600, "HeyBub"

This is possibly a litttle off topic.

I have a rental property. The tenants I had skipped out on their
lease, and left the house filthy and did not provide heat which caused
some plumbing damage. I already intend to take them to small claims
court for the damages, cleaning, and unpaid rent according to the
lease.

My question is this: I will have new tenants moving into the
property, and these old tenants left a junked car in the driveway. I
told them in writing that it must be removed, while they were still
living there. They moved about a month ago, and this junker is still
on my property. Can I legally have a wrecker remove it? What is the
proper and legal method to get rid of this piece of junk?

Look around. Can you construct some sort of lathe?

Seriously, though. One guy DOUBLE PARKED a Honda, with the keys in it, in
front of a Queens barber shop hoping someone would steal it. The guys at the
barber shop watched the car for a WEEK and nobody swiped it. Oh, many looked
it over; one even took it for a test drive!

I'd try putting a "FREE CAR" sign on the vehicle. If that doesn't work,
simply rolling the junk in to the street might be a solution.

Easiest, though, is to call the cops - SCRATCH THAT - stop the beat cop and
ask for advice. Trust me, you are not a pioneer in this matter.

Beat cop? Beat Cop???

Please, what ees thees "beat cop"? I theenk I read about heem in old
history book???

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:
[...]

Something that I've only ever seen in Chicago. Perhaps that's where
"HeyBub" is from?

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
They regularly hold people to the terms of broken
leases, even if the apartment was left in immaculate shape and
immediately rented. The former tenant still pays the penalty (usually
up to a year's rent) after they left ... or at least have a judgement
against them.

Uh, no. In that case, there are no damages. You'd never win. The
ex-tenant could even sue for their deposit and win.

There are a lot of people paying landlords who would dissagree with
you. A lease is a contract. Break the lease and you are in breach of
contract. Lawyers sue you for that and they win.

Of course. If you break a contract you can/will be sued for damages.

Let's say the lease payments are $1000/month, the tenant walks out half
way through the year, and it takes 2 months to find a new tenant. The
damages are $2000 and the ex-tenant would be liable (and not limited to
the deposit). The landlord is obligated to make a reasonable effort to
mitigate the losses by seeking a new tenant.

If for some reason the landlord is unable to locate a new tenant for
whatever (good) reason, the ex-tenant is, of course, liable for every
penny that would have been owed for the full term.

Rental companies like to scare people with "unbreakable" leases, but
the fact is, you can break a lease absolutely any time for any reason.
Just be prepared to pay the full fair losses of the other party.

I keep reading posts about people breaking sales contracts because the
property depreciated. They ask, "Will I lose my deposit?" They're
lucky if that's all they lose!!

-rev

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote in message ...

But, when you do the P&L at the end of the year and are still smiling,

it's
a good thing.

PLUS, you can trade rentals. We went to Mazatlan this year by trading

one
week for one week. We are now considering an offer from Australia. No

cash
outlay, no paper trail.

Steve

Wow Steve, that sounds like a good deal. I can see why you would be
smiling.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Steve B wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

In the middle of the night roll it out and down the street.

That's probably the worst advice yet in this thread.

I wrote the same thing a couple of days. It's what I have done, and what I
would do. It's a fast solution to a potential sticky problem.

Steve

I definitely would not do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A few years ago this happened to me with a former tenant. Just called
a friend of mine with a car hauler. He came in, grabbed the car and
dropped it off in a ditch by the river.
"I have no idea where it is or what happened to it" What car?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Beat cop? Beat Cop???

Please, what ees thees "beat cop"? I theenk I read about heem in old
history book???

Something that I've only ever seen in Chicago. Perhaps that's where
"HeyBub" is from?

Nah, I'm in Houston. And used to be a cop. The current politically-correct
term is "neighborhood policing officer."

Thought about buying a house a few years ago. As we were leaving after
looking over the property (and boy did it look good), I stopped a patrol car
driving by, told him what my mission was, and asked whether he had any
advice about the neighborhood.

"I can't advise you on whether to buy this house, but I'm doing what I do
every day. Between calls I reconoiter the parking lot at those apartments
down the block and run license plates on my computer. I find two, three
stolen cars every single day. That apartment house if chock-a-block full of
goblins! Now if you don't mind living within 50 yards of more thieves than
sailed with Blackbeard, you might have found a spot."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message

In the middle of the night roll it out and down the street.

That's probably the worst advice yet in this thread.

I wrote the same thing a couple of days. It's what I have done, and what
I would do. It's a fast solution to a potential sticky problem.

Steve

I definitely would not do that.

Good for you. I would. While you are living with a junk car on your
property for years, I'd be clear of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cas cas is offline

Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
If it was parked in my driveway, I'd give it a week, then push it out in the
street. If it wasn't gone in two days, I'd put a lit cigarette in there and
say I had seen homeless people sleeping in it.

The rental next to us had someone move in with 3 junk cars. One day
they up and left and took everything (which consisted of a PS2, a TV
and some clothing) but left the junk cars. The landlord tried to get
someone to tow the cars, no one would (this the great state of nc). I
saw him out there one day so I asked him what was up. He told me that
he couldn't get the cars towed despite the renters breaking their
lease. After a couple of beers (I was trying to bribe him to quit
renting to people who had been evicted from everywhere else) I told him
I was filing a complaint over them since they were an eyesore.

I called it in to the city and they gave him a week to take care of the
issue. He tried to contact the former renters again, no luck. One day 3
tow trucks showed up and hauled them off. The local cop was there to
make sure the renters didn't appear and go nuts.

I had someone leave a dead car in my driveway once while we were on
vacation. I pushed it out into the street (fun when it had 2 flats).
The next day the cops put a ticket and a 7 day "move it or lose it"
sticker. Day 7 came and they towed it away. They knew who owned it
after tracing the VIN, so he ended up getting a bill for it.

Good luck with this, post back your findings!

Posted to alt.home.repair

One morning I found that a car was parked in the alley in front of my
garage door. A red "No Parking" sign was on the garage. I had an
appointment, so I called the police and they immediately towed it
away. I'd expect that if a car is left for more than a week or two, it
should be removed, but it is best left up to law enforcement.