Posted to alt.home.repair

Default silestone bar

Need some design help-

Plans call for an 18" bar, set atop a 42" 1/2 wall, and slightly overhanging
the counter backsplash. Builders are now telling me they *think* I need
brackets under the remaining 13" overhang. I know it is possible to fix the
counter to the top sill of the 2x4 half wall, but need some real ideas - any
suggestions? We really don't want brackets to detract from the clean lines
/ look that we are going for.

Any thoughts / suggestions / experiences would be great!

~Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "keglidd" wrote:
Need some design help-

Plans call for an 18" bar, set atop a 42" 1/2 wall, and slightly overhanging
the counter backsplash. Builders are now telling me they *think* I need
brackets under the remaining 13" overhang. I know it is possible to fix the
counter to the top sill of the 2x4 half wall, but need some real ideas - any
suggestions? We really don't want brackets to detract from the clean lines
/ look that we are going for.

Any thoughts / suggestions / experiences would be great!

Mine was done like this:

####################
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
------------| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

If that box section fails your clean lines test (as I
suspect it will), I would consider something like a
steel frame to support the stone with "legs" dropping
down onto or into the wall and bolted to the studs.

That custom steel work doesn't need to be terribly
precise or pretty and a small shop could probably
put it together for a modest price.

It would look even neater if the stone slab is made
with a double thickness laminated edge (with bullnose
or whatever) so the bullnose hangs over and hides
the steel/plywood support.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

Check with the manufacturer. Or get a small scrap piece and see how hard it
is to break, then use your judgment. Builder of course want to CYA just in
case.

"keglidd" wrote in message
Need some design help-

Plans call for an 18" bar, set atop a 42" 1/2 wall, and slightly
overhanging the counter backsplash. Builders are now telling me they
*think* I need brackets under the remaining 13" overhang. I know it is
possible to fix the counter to the top sill of the 2x4 half wall, but need
some real ideas - any suggestions? We really don't want brackets to
detract from the clean lines / look that we are going for.

Any thoughts / suggestions / experiences would be great!

~Keith

granite vs. silestone which one should I get? [email protected] Home Ownership 4 December 17th 06 03:58 AM
Mounting a silestone vanity top BIOSMonkey Home Ownership 1 June 3rd 06 11:56 PM
Silestone repair David Home Repair 2 April 21st 06 09:59 PM
Attach silestone? Chas12 Woodworking 14 February 4th 06 04:04 PM
DIY Silestone/Zodiaq etc counter Borax Home Repair 0 March 28th 05 04:42 PM