Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Diesel fuel smell on clothes

I didn't know what group was best to ask this in but I figure someone
here should know the answer.

I got some sort of smell on my clothes that I believe is diesel fuel,
grease, or oil. I'm thinking that it must be diesel fuel but I can't be
certain. I've already washed the clothes as I normally would but the
smell won't come out. There doesn't seem to be any stains from whatever
is causing the odor. Any ideas on how to get this horrible smell out of
my clothes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

i think if i had to take care of this problem i would wash them a
couple of times in the washing machine with a pine-sol and water
solution and then with regular washing detergent.worth a try.
Mike S. wrote:
I didn't know what group was best to ask this in but I figure someone
here should know the answer.

I got some sort of smell on my clothes that I believe is diesel fuel,
grease, or oil. I'm thinking that it must be diesel fuel but I can't be
certain. I've already washed the clothes as I normally would but the
smell won't come out. There doesn't seem to be any stains from whatever
is causing the odor. Any ideas on how to get this horrible smell out of
my clothes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
I didn't know what group was best to ask this in but I figure someone
here should know the answer.

I got some sort of smell on my clothes that I believe is diesel fuel,
grease, or oil. I'm thinking that it must be diesel fuel but I can't be
certain. I've already washed the clothes as I normally would but the
smell won't come out. There doesn't seem to be any stains from whatever
is causing the odor. Any ideas on how to get this horrible smell out of
my clothes?

I used to work with diesel. Don't wash it with any other clothes you
want to keep. I never fully got the smell out of my work clothes. Once
a work shirt, always a work shirt. I used normal laundry soap and
baking soda. Cut down the smell somewhat but not all the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I make quilts from old blue jeans. I once got some which belonged to a
guy who worked in a machine shop. I didn't realize how persistent the
oil odor was until after I had sewn some pieces into a top. I ended up
dry cleaning it to remove the odor.
Liz
http://community.webshots.com/user/am1384

Mike S. wrote:
I didn't know what group was best to ask this in but I figure someone
here should know the answer.

I got some sort of smell on my clothes that I believe is diesel fuel,
grease, or oil. I'm thinking that it must be diesel fuel but I can't be
certain. I've already washed the clothes as I normally would but the
smell won't come out. There doesn't seem to be any stains from whatever
is causing the odor. Any ideas on how to get this horrible smell out of
my clothes?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Mike S. wrote:
I didn't know what group was best to ask this in but I figure someone
here should know the answer.

I got some sort of smell on my clothes that I believe is diesel fuel,
grease, or oil. I'm thinking that it must be diesel fuel but I can't be
certain. I've already washed the clothes as I normally would but the
smell won't come out. There doesn't seem to be any stains from whatever
is causing the odor. Any ideas on how to get this horrible smell out of
my clothes?

Not much you can do after they've already been washed. Next time, rub
a liberal amount of creme style hand cleaner on the clothes, roll them
in a ball & let them set overnight, then wash as normal. The hand
cleaner will dissolve most petroleum products.
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I heard Simple Green works. Haven't tried it myself, though. Feel
free to report back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
I didn't know what group was best to ask this in but I figure someone
here should know the answer.

I got some sort of smell on my clothes that I believe is diesel fuel,
grease, or oil. I'm thinking that it must be diesel fuel but I can't be
certain. I've already washed the clothes as I normally would but the
smell won't come out. There doesn't seem to be any stains from whatever
is causing the odor. Any ideas on how to get this horrible smell out of
my clothes?

I think you would know if you had been exposed to any diesel fuel.

I carry diesel home in 5 gal cans for my Bobcat. I hate that smell and
it is quite persistent. Even a few drops on your glove or shirt and
you will never stop smelling it.

My strategy has been prevention. When I gas up, I am careful not to
get any on me. On my way in to pay, i am careful not to touch my
clothes or face with my hands. Once inside I wash my hands multiple
times. In cold weather I leave my gloves in the back of the truck
never in the cab. I then wash those gloves with other similar items
or just toss them in the spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...
I didn't know what group was best to ask this in but I figure someone
here should know the answer.

I got some sort of smell on my clothes that I believe is diesel fuel,
grease, or oil. I'm thinking that it must be diesel fuel but I can't be
certain. I've already washed the clothes as I normally would but the
smell won't come out. There doesn't seem to be any stains from whatever
is causing the odor. Any ideas on how to get this horrible smell out of
my clothes?

I worked on offshore oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico from 1974 until 1980. I
had one set of clothes that were for working. My wife used to wash them in
Simple Green in addition to Tide, or whatever was on sale.

NOTHING took that smell out. The Simple Green helped, but it smelled like a
combination of Simple Green and diesel fuel.

I'm surprised she didn't have a dedicated washing machine just for those
clothes.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote
Even a few drops on your glove or shirt and
you will never stop smelling it.

Funny how we have such strong olfactory triggers. Things that, when we
smell them, take us back to that moment in time.

When I smell the black smoke of a diesel engine ......

0500 ............ Morgan City, Louisiana ............. 1975 ........ first
light of a glowing golden sunrise ............ the workboat I'm on hitting
the gas and casting off the lines ....... pulling away from the dock into
the Atchafalaya River for a run to the ocean and two months of living at sea
................ big plumes of black smoke from the stacks that quickly
disperses as we gain speed and the breeze moves the black cloud
.................. hard left, and down the river ..........

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

put some baking soda in the wash with your clothes, it can take most
smells out
i don't know if it would work for diesel fuel

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Mike S. wrote:
I didn't know what group was best to ask this in but I figure someone
here should know the answer.

I got some sort of smell on my clothes that I believe is diesel fuel,
grease, or oil. I'm thinking that it must be diesel fuel but I can't be
certain. I've already washed the clothes as I normally would but the
smell won't come out. There doesn't seem to be any stains from whatever
is causing the odor. Any ideas on how to get this horrible smell out of
my clothes?

Try washing again and use washing soda as well as detergent. Arm &
Hammer is the most common brand. Not all supermarkets carry it but if
they do it is usually near the detergent and other laudry items.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. writes:

I got some sort of smell on my clothes that I believe is diesel fuel,
grease, or oil. I'm thinking that it must be diesel fuel but I can't be
certain.

Sounds like sulfurated hydrocarbons which are present in diesel and
especially gear oil. You could try rinsing with naphtha (dry cleaning).
But sulfur has a way of binding to fabrics chemically, and that just
doesn't come out with detergents or solvents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's already been mentioned in this thread. Dry cleaning fluid will
dissolve the fuel residue. If it's clothing that can stand dry cleaning,
take them to the dry cleaner. If you're constantly diesel fuel on your
clothes, it'll get expensive to keep dry cleaning them.

Harry

"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...
I didn't know what group was best to ask this in but I figure someone
here should know the answer.

I got some sort of smell on my clothes that I believe is diesel fuel,
grease, or oil. I'm thinking that it must be diesel fuel but I can't be
certain. I've already washed the clothes as I normally would but the
smell won't come out. There doesn't seem to be any stains from whatever
is causing the odor. Any ideas on how to get this horrible smell out of
my clothes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

For me, it's running firetrucks in the cold morning, when I'm out with
the fire department. But that was decades ago, and I still go back in
my memory when I smell diesel.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Lawrence" wrote

Old member checks in / Recycling cooking oil as a diesel fuel MikeMandaville Metalworking 15 March 18th 06 03:38 PM
Gravity feed diesel fuel filters? SomeBody Metalworking 0 August 27th 05 03:27 AM
Homebrew PTC heated diesel fuel filter ? rkpatt Metalworking 3 December 9th 04 07:29 PM
OT - Diesel Fuel Filter Question Laurie Forbes Metalworking 10 February 24th 04 05:01 AM