Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extra furnace cycle?

Hi,

I've got a new Heil 1-stage upflow furnace (installed last Apr.) in
my little brick bungalow in the midwest.

The heat cycle is something like:

T-stat calls for heat
LIttle fan sucks fumes out.
Heat element gets power.
Gas valve opens, burners fire
Blower kicks in
Gas valve closes
Blower kicks out

Occasionally and only intermittently, after the heat cycle
has been complete for some time, the blower will run for
about 10 seconds and then shut down.

I can't find anything that explains this in the Sequence of Ops
documentation.

Any clue?

TIA,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
news

Hi,

I've got a new Heil 1-stage upflow furnace (installed last Apr.) in
my little brick bungalow in the midwest.

The heat cycle is something like:

T-stat calls for heat
LIttle fan sucks fumes out.
Heat element gets power.
Gas valve opens, burners fire
Blower kicks in
Gas valve closes
Blower kicks out

Occasionally and only intermittently, after the heat cycle
has been complete for some time, the blower will run for
about 10 seconds and then shut down.

The furnace fan is designed to kick in when the heat exchanger reaches a
certain temperature. What is happening in your case is the fan is not
running long enough to cool the heat exchanger after the heat cycle. The
residual heat in th exchanger tells your fan to kick back in to cool it down
for those 10 or so seconds. You have to set the fan to run longer after the
heat cycle and this will prevent the fan from kicking back in. There is an
adjustment in the furnace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:21:18 -0600, "Jimi"
wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
[...]

I think you've nailed it.

I somehow expected a senser to shut fan down when the HE cooled
to a certain temp.

There's a jumper for timed shut-off of fan: 30, 60, 100, etc
secs. 'Twas set to 60.

I set it up to 100. If it blows too much cool air, I guess
I'll go back to 60. It wasn't re-cycling very often (maybe
1 heat cycle in 10) and I doubt it'd hurt anything.

Mostly I just needed to know what was going on. Might hafta
maintain/repair this unit for many, many years.

Much Thanks,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
[...]

Glad I was able to help. I had a furnace guy show me the same thing during
a yearly check up as I was having the same problem.....Jimi

Posted to alt.home.repair

New unit, under warranty, why are you messing with it

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
New unit, under warranty, why are you messing with it

Maybe because changing how long the blower stays on after the burner
shuts off is a setting, not a warranty issue? And that he fixed it be
changing an obvious jumper setting instead of paying for a service call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:51:07 -0600, "Jimi"
wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
.. .
On 12 Dec 2006 06:59:52 -0800, wrote:

m Ransley wrote:
New unit, under warranty, why are you messing with it

You've heard it befo "Inquiring Minds Wanna Know!"

Maybe because changing how long the blower stays on after the burner
shuts off is a setting, not a warranty issue? And that he fixed it be
changing an obvious jumper setting instead of paying for a service call.

They prolly woulda come out under the warranty.

Idea was to analyze heat op. cycle, figger what it
was doing, make any adjustments my po' self.
Woulda worked if they hadn't scattered the info
on settings across several manuals.

So I had to ask a Q here, I got an answer, found
the relevant info, and fixed it. Acceptable result.

If there's a serious malfunction, I'll call service
under warranty. Otherwise I'll fix it myself, which
is what'll happen when it's out of warranty.

Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...

I gotta ask....How did you come up with that Nick name and the

Many years ago it was appropriated from a volume on blues
(music) history. Then I was kinda stuck with it. The 7-year-old
sig looked like:

* Arrest records (for the infamous Storeyville *
* district of New Orleans) at the turn of the *
* century list underworld characters with bizarre *
* aliases like Drop o' Sack, Cinderella, Pudding Man, *
* Willie the Pleaser, Diamond Dick, Lead Pencil, ... *
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ****
************************************************** *****;

signature...is it some sort of nursery rhyme? Jimi

Pert near. From
http://www.rhymes.org.uk/pease_pudding.htm:

Pease Pudding Hot Rhyme
Nursery Rhyme & History

Pease pudding hot - the origins of the words are based on a
traditional British dish
The pease pudding hot referred to in the words of this poem is a dish
which is still enjoyed in Britain today. It is a smooth, thick sauce,
(referred to as a pudding in the rhyme for the sake of alliteration)
which has a dark yellow colour. Pease pudding is a hot dish made from
dried peas - it can be re-heated as often as required (Pease pudding
in the pot - nine days old). Pease pudding is traditionally served hot
with boiled bacon or a form of sausage called a saveloy.

A Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme

Pease pudding rhyme poem

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot - nine days old.
Some like it hot, some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot - nine days old.

I actually have a zillion little clips for sigs, but
I'm too lazy to change 'em each post.

Cheers,

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,