Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Basement Bathroom Plumbing

Hi,

I would like to build a bathroom in my basement.

I have a 3 inch copper vent (main stack), it's connected to a 3 inch
clay pipe (outside diameter is 4 inch) and this flows into a 4 inch
clay pipe (outside diameter is 5 inch)

I have some pics:
http://i11.tinypic.com/4h83zb6.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/2e1dbg0.jpg
I also have a plan how to create the bathroom:
http://i14.tinypic.com/2d6tjie.jpg

What do you think is this in accordance with the plumbing code?

I would like to cut out a portion of the clay and add 4 inch abs and 2
wye fittings.
Is it worth changing the whole clay pipe (where the concrete is broken)
or only a small portion which is necessary to add the new wye fittings?

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zoli wrote:

Hi,

I would like to build a bathroom in my basement.

I have a 3 inch copper vent (main stack), it's connected to a 3 inch
clay pipe (outside diameter is 4 inch) and this flows into a 4 inch
clay pipe (outside diameter is 5 inch)

I have some pics:
http://i11.tinypic.com/4h83zb6.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/2e1dbg0.jpg
I also have a plan how to create the bathroom:
http://i14.tinypic.com/2d6tjie.jpg

What do you think is this in accordance with the plumbing code?

I would like to cut out a portion of the clay and add 4 inch abs and 2
wye fittings.
Is it worth changing the whole clay pipe (where the concrete is broken)
or only a small portion which is necessary to add the new wye fittings?

Thank you

Lots o' ways to skin a cat, but from a glance:

Run the ABS from the clay all the way to the bottom
of the Cu stack. Support the stack before cutting;
it will be "heavy". I would put the C.O. at the
bottom of the Cu stack; I don't think you need
one in the bath.,

Run the new ABS branch as 3" all the way
into the new bath wall to pick up the 2 sinks
and the shower.

The bath sink trap should have its own vent
connection.

The TEE into the Cu stack must be turned "up".
Further, the existing soil stack can NOT be used
as a vent unless the vent connection is made *above*
the highest fixture (upstairs). I would snake
a 2" ABS vent (maybe 1 1/2") up thru the wall space
to reach a place to tie in.

You may be required to vent the shower drain separately.

How will you provide venting for the laundry fixture(s)?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks very much Jim for the quick answer.

I will put a separate vent for sink and shower.

How heavy is the copper vent? Can I use riser clamps to support that
pipe? One is enough? If I took out the 90 elbow would the copper vent
remain in place? Can I find a 3''x4'' 90 elbow?

For laundry I'll put a 1 1/2'' vent through ceiling studs and connect
to the bath vent.

For the vent I will put in a wye into the copper vent.

First I taught that I would put this type of fitting for the toilet:
http://i10.tinypic.com/34zkgms.jpg

It has a 2'' inlet. The shower and sink would flow in there. What do
you think?

The bottom of the copper vent has a cleanout.

Thanks
Zoli

Speedy Jim wrote:
Zoli wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zoli wrote:

Thanks very much Jim for the quick answer.

I will put a separate vent for sink and shower.

How heavy is the copper vent? Can I use riser clamps to support that
pipe? One is enough? If I took out the 90 elbow would the copper vent
remain in place? Can I find a 3''x4'' 90 elbow?

I assume that copper is a soil stack, not merely a a vent.

Use a Proflex coupling:
http://www.fernco.com/proflex.asp
3001-43 4" CI, PL. or ST. to 3" Copper CK-43
to connect 4" ABS pipe to Cu
or you can get an ABS 4 X 3 EL
and use a CK-33.

The weight is (roughly) 2 lbs per foot length for 3" Cu.
Install riser clamps before cutting .

For laundry I'll put a 1 1/2'' vent through ceiling studs and connect
to the bath vent.

For the vent I will put in a wye into the copper vent.

Or a San TEE turned up. But note my comment about not
connecting into the soil stack below existing fixtures.

First I taught that I would put this type of fitting for the toilet:
http://i10.tinypic.com/34zkgms.jpg

It has a 2'' inlet. The shower and sink would flow in there. What do
you think?

That's a heel-inlet. I don;t like them and probably prohibited.

The bottom of the copper vent has a cleanout.

Sorry, I missed that.

disclaimer
Don't know where you live or if it's important,
but most cities will require a permit. In that case,
it's vital to review your plans with the inspector first.

Thanks
Zoli

Speedy Jim wrote:

Zoli wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Jim,

The copper is the soil stack. You're right.

I won't use the heel-inlet.

The vent will be about 3 feet above the lowest fixture.

What do you think about cutting out the lower part of the copper vent
(about 5 feet) and replace that with abs? In this case I don't need to
cut the copper again for the vent tee or wye.

Thanks again
Zoli

Speedy Jim wrote:

Zoli wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zoli wrote:

Thanks Jim,

The copper is the soil stack. You're right.

I won't use the heel-inlet.

The vent will be about 3 feet above the lowest fixture.

I think you misunderstood here.
You can't tie back into the existing copper stack
unless the connection is made above the highest *existing*
fixture, not the new ones.

Picture this: Your new vent is connected as you proposed.
The toilet upstairs empties into the stack. As the waste
passes by your new WYE/EL, it diverts into the new "vent"
for the basement bath!!

Suggest picking up a DIY plumbing book which shows a remodel
project. It's a common theme and you should easily find
one at BigBox or the local library.
Jim

Speedy Jim wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for clarification.

Unfortuanetely I don't have too much space above the fixtures (I have
9'' only):
http://i11.tinypic.com/3ygwdgp.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/2hg6as9.jpg

But fortunately I have another 1 1/2 '' copper vent in the basement
below the kitchen. Is it a problem extending this vent to another 10 -
12 feet vent? Does the length affect something?
http://i16.tinypic.com/2u7so45.jpg

I also have backflow in the current laundry sink when a lot of water
flows from the main floor kitchen sink. I'm wondering why. The laundry
sink is connected to the vent. (see the pic)
Maybe it should be a wye instead of tee.

Thanks,
Zoli

Speedy Jim wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zoli wrote:

Thanks for clarification.

Unfortuanetely I don't have too much space above the fixtures (I have
9'' only):
http://i11.tinypic.com/3ygwdgp.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/2hg6as9.jpg

But fortunately I have another 1 1/2 '' copper vent in the basement
below the kitchen. Is it a problem extending this vent to another 10 -
12 feet vent? Does the length affect something?
http://i16.tinypic.com/2u7so45.jpg

You *might* be able to use the 1 1/2" vent, *if* it truly is
only a vent. Too many technical factors for anyone to
judge without actually being there.

I also have backflow in the current laundry sink when a lot of water
flows from the main floor kitchen sink. I'm wondering why. The laundry
sink is connected to the vent. (see the pic)
Maybe it should be a wye instead of tee.

The TEE should work. I suspect there is some other problem
with the layout. Again, someone would have to actually see it.

Thanks,
Zoli