Craftsman Garage Door Opener Sprocket Replacement

Old December 10th 06, 03:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Sue

Default Craftsman Garage Door Opener Sprocket Replacement

I am trying to replace the sprocket on my Craftsman 1/2 HP GOD model 139.53525SRT. I have removed the 3 screws from under the chassis in order to lift out the entire sprocket assembly. However, I am unable to lift out the sprocket assembly because there is a 'collar' just under the worm gear bracket that prevents the 'limit gear' portion of the sprocket from passing through the worm gear bracket. This 'collar' is not shown in any of the diagrams accompanying the replacement sprocket and worm drive. The collar is made of a soft metal, easily marred by a tool. Anyone know what the purpose of this 'collar' is and how to remove it? I'm fine with all the other instructions - but I am stumped and cannot proceed. Please see a photo for clarification at
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ketwarrows.jpg
1.The 'red' arrow points out the collar I am having difficulty with.
2.The 'green' arrow points out another collar that is part of the bracket that the sprocket is inserted through. When I lift up to remove the sprocket - the 'drive gear' cannot pass through the collar (indicated by the red arrow) because the 'drive gear' is larger in diameter than the collar.
3.The 'yellow arrow points to the shaft of the sprocket.
Old December 10th 06, 06:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Remove the plastic E-clip and gear at the bottom of the shaft, part number 14 at http://liftmaster.com/pdfdocs/114A1915.PDF

Rich
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com