Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to disconnect gas range from gas supply

HI,

My Kitchenaid gas stove/oven is having a problem working as a oven. It
has electric igniters for the oven, one at the bottom for the main oven
and one near the top for the broiler mode. When I put it in bake mode,
the lower burners inside the oven are not lighting up. Broil is ok. The
stoves are ok. I supect the igniter has burnt out and got a replacement
on-line. The problem is how do I get access to the back of the stove to
replace it?

I tried to move the stove. But it is connected to the gas supply line
using a short flex pipe. I can not get enough space at the back to get
in or work. Is it tricky to remove the felx tube from the stove and
reattach it later. I can see it at the bottom of the stove when I take
out the lower storage drawer. It is at the back of the unit. How do I
shut of the gas supply? I need a long handled tool to access the supply
valve at the back. It is at floor level.

I am fairly handy. Recently I have changed the water inlet valve of the
diswahser and had installed a water filter under a sink before :-) I
have found that water pipes are tricky, specially those with
compression fittings. How tricky are the gas lines? Commen sense tells
me they are far more dangerous!

Thanks for all your advice.

-Dipu

Posted to alt.home.repair

How you actually located the lower ignitor? The last few I replaced
were accessible from inside the broiler drawer, via the front of the
stove. Is it possible that you can get to the ignitor from the front?
If not...

The flex pipe should detach from the stove with nothing more than a
wrench. Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey.

As far as the shut-off for the stove, if you can't get to it, how about
shutting off the house main and then doing the repair. While you're at
it, install a longer flex pipe and consider relocating the shutoff for
the stove so it is more accessible next time.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

[...]

When I changed my igniter recently I did it by removing the bottom panel
of the oven, so I did not need to get to the back of the range, nor did
I have to disconnect the gas. But that was in a Tappan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all your suggestions. The igniter wires go out through the
back and then connects to the "circuit box" under the oven. I can see
the connections when I take the bottom drawer out. But it is stuck
somewhere and I can not remove it from the front. I have to open up the
back panel to see where it is stuck.

-Dipu

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
have found that water pipes are tricky, specially those with
compression fittings. How tricky are the gas lines? Commen sense tells
me they are far more dangerous!

Do you see the shut off valve? If not, call a plumber or gas fitter, have
one installed. Next time it is a simple job to do.

Couple of correctly sized wrenches should have the tubing disconnected
easily. You need two wrenches. One to hold the fitting, the other to
loosen the nut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all the responders. I was able to fix the oven over the
christmas weekend. When I removed the bottom drawer, I was able to get
to the shutoff valve. Removing the flex pipe from the shutoff valve
took some effort. But after that, replacing the burnt-out igniter was
quite simple. I used pipe-dope and gas rated pipe tape before screwing
the flex pipe back into the shutoff valve. The OSH guy suggested that I
put the tape first and then put the dope over it. I checked with soap
water. No bubbles. Hopefully it will stay that way :-)

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

-Dipu