Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spa wiring / hookup question for older Grandee

My Hot Spring Grandee (old, but new to me) has a junction box adjacent
to the main black control box. I'm hooking it up for the first time,
and have a "spare" black wire on the spa. I'm not sure what to hook it
up to. It's caped off now, and nothing is powering up-no jets, no
light, no heater.

The spa uses both 230 and 110. The light is on 110.

The way it is wired now is:

Sub panel wires -- Spa side wires are...
Red wire from subpanel to -- Red spa wire
Red wire from subpanel to -- Red spa wire
Blk wire from subpanel to -- Blue spa wire
Blk wire from subpanel to -- Blue spa wire
White wire from subpanel to-- White spa wire
Ground wire from subpanel to -- grounded to the spa junction box.

THE PROBLEM: --There is one black wire remaining on the spa, and
I do not know what it should connect to.

Anyone know where the black wire on the spa should be connected?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
[...]

If it were me, and knowing that people are going to sit in this spa
full of water, I'd be contacting the manufacturer, not guessing. I
also hope you have the appropriate GFCI installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thus spake Bill:

Anyone know where the black wire on the spa should be connected?

You need a wiring diagram. They are in the Pre-delivery instruction manual,
available (listed by the model/year of your spa) on this page:

http://www.hotspring.com/Hot_Tub_Cus...er_manual.html

They are PDF files for which you will need an application that can view
these.

Good luck,
Dave
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the URL. I had looked there, and got the oldest manual they
have, which has the IC 2000 control box. Mine has what looks like an
earlier box with a junction box on the side. The wiring diagram for
the Grandee shows five wires connecting to the control box, but I have
six. It is a Grandee, but they don;t have the manuals. I even called
the manufacturer directly. They said they would send one, but did not.

I have electricians in the family, but they're not sure either.

Thanks for the ideas, but I'm still puzzled...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I called another Hot Spring location and spoke with the owner, who knew
the model. I need to install another breaker (20A 110). The black
wire goes there. This spa is probably a 1990, and back then they had
three breakers. Later models had only two breakers, 30A and a 20A.
That's all I installed.

Thanks folks,

Ever iterating toward a solution...

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, how old is older? the owners manuals are available here.
http://www.hotspring.com/Hot_Tub_Cus...er_manual.html

Also, the actual placement of the wires is obviously more important than the
colors. The original installer could have used any color of wire. Here's a
link to my 3 year old diagram, if the terminal strip on your pack looks like
this, you could possibly trace carefully each terminal and see where it goes
in the disconnect box. Mine only uses a total of 6 wires (4 hots, a ground
and a neutral) and there is no black mentioned.

www.barkerranch.net/images/spawiring.jpg I left the scan rather large, so
you can zoom in to the detail.

hope this helps, and if you have any doubts, get your electrician or hot
springs installer out there.

--
Steve Barker

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Steve. I believe it is a 1990 model. They only have 1999 and
newer manuals on their site. Their customer service line is
useless--in several calls I have not gotten through to a human. On
their site they say call the local retailer, and the local retailer
says call Watkins Manufacturing. Every time I leave another message on
their customer service line requesting the manual I get more frustrated
with them and more likely to tell friends the company has issues.

I can't get to the power jumper because the box is very hard to access.
I'd have to spend a full day unhooking it and hooking it back up to
fine out which wire goes where.

Hot Spring said that it didn't make sense to get a service person here
because they don't do electrical. Thus far I'd give Hot Spring a "0"
for customer service.

Steve Barker LT wrote:
OK, how old is older? the owners manuals are available here.
http://www.hotspring.com/Hot_Tub_Cus...er_manual.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Update: have upgraded my opinion of Hot Spring. One of the reps at
Watkins came through with flying colors and provided the information.
It's now all wired up and fired up.