Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I'm freezing!

I have a Trane gas central H&C unit. The heat will not come on untill the
temp in the house gets below 50 degrees and will stop when it reaches 70.
No matter what I have my thermostat set at. I have had a service man come
and look at it. I have spent about $500 and the problem still exist. The
last time he came out he installed a reset switch on the outside of the
unit and said that when it cuts off I could go outside and reset it.
Well, that sucks.
Especially when you wake up a 2 am in the morning freezing. I asked him if
it could be the thermostat and he said no. The unit is about 17 yrs old.
He said I need a new unit. What do you think. Am I being Hoodooed or what?
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

cndlane wrote:
I have a Trane gas central H&C unit. The heat will not come on untill the
temp in the house gets below 50 degrees and will stop when it reaches 70.
No matter what I have my thermostat set at. I have had a service man come
and look at it. I have spent about $500 and the problem still exist. The
last time he came out he installed a reset switch on the outside of the
unit and said that when it cuts off I could go outside and reset it.
Well, that sucks.
Especially when you wake up a 2 am in the morning freezing. I asked him if
it could be the thermostat and he said no. The unit is about 17 yrs old.
He said I need a new unit. What do you think. Am I being Hoodooed or what?

Go to HD, or Lowe's, or even Target or Walmart and buy a new thermostat.
I'd go with a digital by Honeywell. It'll probably cost you about 50
bucks. Read the instructions on the package to pick the right one.
Follow the installation instructions inside the package carefully. Be
warm and happy. Never call that guy again; I don't think he's looking
out for your best interests, or he wouldn't have left with a big bill
and the problem unresolved. If you're uncomfortable doing it yourself,
get a neighbor or relative to help you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The reset switch outside the unit sounds like some sort of patch. You
need a better HVAC tech that can fix the real problem.

In the mean time, I recommend an electric blanket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
cndlane wrote:
[...]

Before you set out to buy a 'stat pop the cover off of yours (they usually
just pull off - pry the top forward until it clears the tabs and the bottom
will drop away). Now count how many wires you have connected to the screws.
You might draw a map of the connections or look inside the cover that you
just removed. There might be a diagram there. You also might try going to
a dedicated supply house and getting some *real help from a knowledgeable
person. Spend a little more and get some worthwhile advice instead of
relying on us rubes (LOL) here. Oh yea, there is a usenet group for heating
and AC where 'real' technicians frequent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reset switch outside-2am-troll

I'm freezing! cndlane Home Repair 2 December 6th 06 04:30 AM
Evaporator freezing Art Todesco Home Repair 6 July 17th 05 09:52 PM
My house is freezing RP Home Repair 11 July 12th 05 03:09 AM
fridge now freezing everything? Hamilton Audio Home Repair 6 May 5th 05 04:25 AM
Freezing pipes ******************************************************* Rettgerinc Metalworking 25 January 4th 05 03:59 AM