Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weighing down trash cans

Hi, I live in a very windy area and my neighbors and I are having
problems with trash cans getting knocked over because of the strong
wind gusts, as well as the lids opening up.

I am trying to come up with a way of weighing down both the bottom and
the lid of the trash cans so that:

1) The lid doesn't open up when trash is set out to be picked up.
2) The empty can doesn't blow away after the trash has been picked up.

I cannot simply tie weights to the cans because they will flail around
when the trash cans are emptied by the mechanical arm of the trash
truck. The weights also have to be able to stay secured even when the
can is shaken upside down when it is emptied.

Also, the weights need to be easily attachable/removeable since it's
only windy a few months out of the year, and I cannot seriously alter
the trash cans since they are city property.

I was thinking of bolting on something that can hold the weights
themselves, and when the weights are not needed, they can be removed
while the thing that holds the weights stays permanently attached. I
haven't found anything that would do the job for this.

Any other ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
[...]

It's a little hard since you cannot attach anything to it. Maybe if you
created like a small box that your can could sit in that is box shaped
with enough room for the mechanical arms to grip it. It'd probably have
to be about 24-36 inches high. That would probably solve the blowing
down the street problem. I'm not sure how to solve the lid flapping
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "mike" wrote:
Hi, I live in a very windy area and my neighbors and I are having
problems with trash cans getting knocked over because of the strong
wind gusts, as well as the lids opening up.

I am trying to come up with a way of weighing down both the bottom and
the lid of the trash cans so that:

1) The lid doesn't open up when trash is set out to be picked up.
2) The empty can doesn't blow away after the trash has been picked up.

If the trash cans blow around, despite your weights, and
cause some damage (e.g. to a car) guess who's likely to
be held liable?

I'd start by talking to City Hall and/or your local
garbage collection company.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. The worst they can say is
"it's not our problem".

Posted to alt.home.repair

A box might not be a bad idea. I might look into that. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:

[...]

Depending on the neighborhood layout, you might consider consolidating
with a few neighbors and building a little 3 sided fence enclosure to
shield the cans from the wind, open on the street side and with enough
clearance for the pickup arm.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, mike says...

[...]

It would depend on your trash company, but where I grew up in West Texas, the
garbage cans were sometimes buried and they were pulled up for disposal. Do
they have any of that sort of arrangement in your area? Possibly they'd do that
- it's just not how it's set up in your immediate neighborhood.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

The layout of the neighboorhood doesn't lend itself well to that. It
would have to be in someone's front yard pretty much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was thinking of using rebar but flat metal plates would work much
better I would think. Is there a better place than HD/Lowes to find
something like this? I've seen metal stakes over in the building
materials section but those might be a little to heavy to be attached
with tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There's nowhere to put the trash cans below ground here. It's a suburb.
Lots of concrete and lawns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Dec 2006 09:13:40 -0800, "mike" wrote:

[...]

Build a giant cup-holder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
Hi, I live in a very windy area and my neighbors and I are having
problems with trash cans getting knocked over because of the strong
wind gusts, as well as the lids opening up.

Use plastic bags. See below for another solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
I guess it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. The worst they can say
is "it's not our problem".

About 2 years ago, my city (Houston) did something remarkable. Remarkable in
that it's novel and it works.

They contracted with BF to pick up the trash. BF gave everybody a special,
wheeled, 40-gallon dumpster/can.

Park the mini-dumpster on the curb on the appointed day and a truck-thingy
comes by with grabber arms that snatch the can, dump its contets, and set it
back on the curb.

It's a one-man crew and the little truck scoots down the street grabbing
cans and emptying them. Quick like a bunny.

Couldn't be more pleased and that is remarkable for a city "service."

Now, in your case, be aware there are no secrets in the trash collecting
business. Your city knows about the service Browning-Ferris has available.
They choose not to implement it, probably because one of the city councilmen
services the city's trucks.

PS
The city save beacoup bucks, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We don't have trash bags as an option for our trash pickup, just the
standard wheeled trash cans. When I lived in SLO, CA, they used to
provide the option of trash bags, which would be perfect on days where
its windy.

A "cup holder" might work too, but I don't know how long it would
survive the trash trucks around here. They're not very gentle, quiet,
or precise when it comes to picking up the trash cans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Sand bags?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about getting a shallow wide box, filling it with concrete and
putting a bolt sticking out. You drill a hole in the trash can, set
it on the concrete and attach it with nuts, take it off when you don't
need it. Or, do the same with 4 coffee cans, one on each corner.

Or build a small 3 sided structure to hold the trash can. Cover it
with climbing vines. You could use 4 sides and a top and tell every
one you were bear proofing the can.

High tech approach, use an electromagnet like the kind that holds
security gates shut. Have the on /off switch out where the Sanitation
Workers (--I don't know where you live. Around here we call them
trash man) can activate the switch.

Remember, you get what you pay for.
And my advice it free.

Eric

On 5 Dec 2006 00:53:43 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"mike" wrote in
roups.com:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I live in a very windy area and my neighbors and I are having
problems with trash cans getting knocked over because of the strong
wind gusts, as well as the lids opening up.

Get a piece of 1/2" steel plate and bolt it to the bottom of the can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric Kent wrote:
How about getting a shallow wide box, filling it with concrete and
putting a bolt sticking out. You drill a hole in the trash can, set
it on the concrete and attach it with nuts, take it off when you don't
need it. Or, do the same with 4 coffee cans, one on each corner.

Or build a small 3 sided structure to hold the trash can. Cover it
with climbing vines. You could use 4 sides and a top and tell every
one you were bear proofing the can.

High tech approach, use an electromagnet like the kind that holds
security gates shut. Have the on /off switch out where the Sanitation
Workers (--I don't know where you live. Around here we call them
trash man) can activate the switch.

Remember, you get what you pay for.
And my advice it free.

Eric

If it's like any of the trash men around here, they are lazy and don't
like getting out of their vehicles. The mechanical arm makes it much
easier for them. Takes two guys instead of three.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 18:47:44 -0700, "Bob M." wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
groups.com...
Hi, I live in a very windy area and my neighbors and I are having
problems with trash cans getting knocked over because of the strong
wind gusts, as well as the lids opening up.

Get a piece of 1/2" steel plate and bolt it to the bottom of the can.

He doesn't own the can. Drilling holes in the cans is against the rules

Okay, After all the fisting through the other posters I have to say I
have the same set up as you. I have had the SAME freaking garbage can for
over TEN years! So my advice is don't worry about it...and try this....

Take the empty can and clean it out. Flip the can upside down and
screw in the bottom about four 1/2 inch lagbolts about 2 inches long using
very large washers as back up.. Then flip the can over and lay in the bottom
of the container wax paper allowing the lag bolts to come through the paper.
Then toss a few scuba diving lead weights to the bottom of the can. This is
followed by pouring fiberglass resin over the lag bolts and diving weights.
Do the same to the lid. Your present problem is solved. (Lead weight can
include going to your nearest tire store and obtaining discarded tire
weights etc...anything heavy....your mothers old iron etc)
So you think you have damaged this container? Absolutely not!... Live
with it and be happy!! People worry too much!! If there's a change in
any neighbourhood garbage contract there is generally a BIG announcement!
There will be a flyer in your mailbox or something hanging from your door
stating they will be by to collect the garbage cans and a different one will
be issued Etc ETc... Now THAT is when you have to worry!! But you can fix
the problem....Take it to your garage and extract the bolts, dump the
weight. Go to the nearest auto supply and buy a tube of JB Weld and repair
the holes...cover the repair with mud....and quit worrying about such a
small rule. Do you really think a contractor that has lost a garbage
contract is going to inspect each and every can at your doorstep? Unless
it's obvious damage I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. In the very worse
case scenereo, ...run the damned thing over and totally destroy it... then
leave it in the ditch in front of your house for pick up... If they come
knocking say "It must have been hit by a drunk driver etc..... Freaking KIDS
nowadays!" Bottom line is alter the can for your use (which could be ten
years or more) and deal with the rest which would be a pittance....Take
care....jimi

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
1) The lid doesn't open up when trash is set out to be picked up.
2) The empty can doesn't blow away after the trash has been picked up.

1) Screw a bungee from the side of the can to the lid so that the lid returns
to the closed position normally but will flip open when pressure is applied to
it, as it would when the garbage handler has the can upside down. The weight of
the garbage should provide the opening force when the can is upside down.

2. Bolt a heavy steel plate to the base of the can to weigh the whole thing
down, plus concentrate the center of gravity at the bottom of the can.

If the city is picky about altering their cans, put everything on the inside of
the can. Nobody actually looks at the cans once the arm hooks them, so your
alterations will remain your business.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

pe wrote:
On 4 Dec 2006 19:07:56 -0800, "Brian" wrote:

Eric Kent wrote:
[...]

Do you have any idea how toxic the dust clouds from some cans can be?
And most new cheap plastic can have no handles or hand holds at all for easy
lifting and idiot homeowners will put a hundred pounds of yard waste in a can.

Yard waste is a lot different from trash. In my city, we have regular
trash pickup on Tuesday and Friday. Wednesday is for yard trash
(branches, leaves, etc). Wednesday is also recyclables day. We have
city provided trash cans that are pretty large and on wheels. Can't
blame people sometimes for putting a lot of trash in there when it only
comes two days a week. They're just trying to maximize the time!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Be aware of this:

In our locality, if a trash can is too heavy, the men will not lift it. And
the supervisor you call will back them up.

In our locality, any alterations to the rental type containers means you
just bought it.

The way they swing those things around, extra weights might cause it to fly
over the truck.

Make a rack to hold them. Some sort of enclosure.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have one guy per truck here. They'd probably have 0 if the trucks
could drive themselves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like the idea of the bungees since they're lightweights, so I could
keep them on there all the time if they don't get in the way.

The problem with putting bolts in the cans is that I either have to
live with the weights in the cans year-round or I have to remove them
and deal with the holes in the can. With the winds we get around here,
having a couple extra pounds isn't going to do the job...I need to be
putting in probably about 20 pounds of weight at the bottom. I could
live with that but some of my neighbors who are also trying to address
this problem aren't strong enough to move an extra 20 pounds in the
cans all the time, so being removeable is key, at least for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Dec 2006 10:19:35 -0800, "mike" wrote:

I like the idea of the bungees since they're lightweights, so I could
keep them on there all the time if they don't get in the way.

The problem with putting bolts in the cans is that I either have to
live with the weights in the cans year-round or I have to remove them
and deal with the holes in the can. With the winds we get around here,
having a couple extra pounds isn't going to do the job...I need to be
putting in probably about 20 pounds of weight at the bottom. I could
live with that but some of my neighbors who are also trying to address
this problem aren't strong enough to move an extra 20 pounds in the
cans all the time, so being removeable is key, at least for them.

I wonder if magnetic paint and a big-ass magnet would work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Dec 2006 10:19:35 -0800, "mike" wrote:

I like the idea of the bungees since they're lightweights, so I could
keep them on there all the time if they don't get in the way.

The problem with putting bolts in the cans is that I either have to
live with the weights in the cans year-round or I have to remove them
and deal with the holes in the can. With the winds we get around here,
having a couple extra pounds isn't going to do the job...I need to be
putting in probably about 20 pounds of weight at the bottom. I could
live with that but some of my neighbors who are also trying to address
this problem aren't strong enough to move an extra 20 pounds in the
cans all the time, so being removeable is key, at least for them.

You could anchor a hook(eye) to the ground and put a snap on the can.
This would be a trip hazard if you ever moved the can.

You can use a threaded anchor so you can remove the hook easily.

You could also put a latch on the lid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One idea I had was to try to find something like a pipe repair clamp
(the thing that clamps onto a water pipe to repair a leak), but really
heavy. I could then clamp this onto the axle of the wheel when needed
and unclamp it when I don't. There's a handle on the front side of the
can that I could also clamp something to in order to balance the extra
weight. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything that would
do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now that's creative! I would think the weights would rust in a short
manner of time. They are always outside. Points for creativity,
nonetheless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcolm Hoar wrote:
Aside from the risks of injury/damage from the weights,
bear in mind that many of the modern garbage trucks with
the robot arms to lift/empty the bins are also equipped
with weight sensors. If the total weight of the bin
exceeds a preset threshold, it won't be emptied.

They must not be that advanced in Charlotte, NC. I was barely able to roll a
neighbor's can out for him once, it was so stuffed with construction waste
including cement blocks, etc. The city's trucks emptied it just like any other.
Must have made one hell of a noise when all the cement block hit the interior of
the truck.

We just have the one guy on the truck. He drives it and operates the arm.
Nobody ever physically touches a can except for the homeowner. And once the
crap's in the truck, it's like it never happened, even if the payload was
officially contraband. The driver isn't going to wade into the detritus just to
fish out your cement blocks.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcolm Hoar wrote:
If you add sufficient weight to prevent an empty bin
from blowing around in high winds, there's a good chance
that bin, when full, will weigh more than the trucks
are programmed to handle.

Easy enough to test: Roll a heavy load of bricks or something similar and see
if they take them away. Either they do or they don't.

Remember, it's always easier to receive forgiveness than permission.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote

Easy enough to test: Roll a heavy load of bricks or something similar and
see if they take them away. Either they do or they don't.

Remember, it's always easier to receive forgiveness than permission.

It's up to the driver and pitcher. At my house, we did a remodel. When the
trash men came, we gave them cold bottles of water and sodas. They backed
up to the trash pile, and we pitched sheetrock, trashed cabinets, lots of
stuff they probably wouldn't have taken if they had been just sitting there
alone.

A little bribery (and kindness) goes a long ways. My regular guys will take
just about anything I put out there. But I have to watch, because some of
the fill in guys are rather picky. But even the fill in guys are a sucker
for a bottle of water or a cold soda.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds to me that you are using the approved garbage receptacle
that the trash pickup company recommends in order to work properly
with their automated truck arms. If so it's up to them to make it
work. If it doesn't work for whatever reason you need to complain
to them until they come up with a solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I called. Their solution is..."call us when the container becomes
damaged or missing and we will replace it". They don't have idea what
to do in windy areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

They must not be that advanced in Charlotte, NC. I was barely able to roll a
neighbor's can out for him once, it was so stuffed with construction waste
including cement blocks, etc.

A BFI rep told be about the weight sensors just a few weeks ago.

Initially, I was very surprised. But, after a few moments
thought, it seemed to make sense. It's prudent to protect
the (rather expensive) truck, and the driver too. And you
can imagine the lawsuits if an overloaded bin came crashing
down on a passing pedestrian. Looks to me like weight sensors
would pay for themselves in very little time at all.

I suspect that organizations like BFI have given more
than a little thought to metered (by weight) garbage
collection fees too.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "mike" wrote:
I called. Their solution is..."call us when the container becomes
damaged or missing and we will replace it". They don't have idea what
to do in windy areas.

Heh, that's certainly true around here. A few weeks ago the
truck swallowed one of my wheelie bins -- not just the contents.
I called BFI and they said it happens fairly regularly. They
delivered a new bin later that *same* day! I was really quite
impressed.

I am almost very impressed with the skill and courtesy of
the BFI truck drivers around here. They really go to great
lengths to be safe and avoid inconveniencing people.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Dec 2006 14:17:22 -0800, "mike" wrote:

I called. Their solution is..."call us when the container becomes
damaged or missing and we will replace it". They don't have idea what
to do in windy areas.

Good. Call them twice a month to report a missing windblown trash
container. Have your neighbors do this too. Take the missing trash
containers and sell them on E-bay.